Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

sunny james

War Hero
That will work out well, car being charged up but no heating, cooking, freezers,
internet or TV, there will be frecking riots
This was always the aim. There is no way that the UK could supply power for EVs never mind trying to meet the pie in the sky CO2 emissions targets.

As for riots, the public will bend over and take it just like they have for the Covid nonsense with lock downs, curfews and face nappies.

The more cynical may think that the Covid crap was just a trial to see what the Great British sheeple would take for "the public good".

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well sort of... if you ignore the phase & neutral meter tails (the grey ones) you can see the earth cables going down to the incomer seperately from the meter tails which go into the bus bar chamber at the top, the earths disappear out of picture but I would expect them to be on an exposed earth connection below the grey box.
Feckin mess though!

ETA - looking closer, i'd guess that's four flats and one landlords supply for communal areas, the doorbell transformers are on the extreme left with the Landlords DB above, there is an old metal fused isolator to the right of the cupboard with burn marks below it.... I used to install those in factories many years ago!
I've seen far worse in some of the places I've had to visit.

From what I already know ... and I am sure others know ... and following on from comments above it will be a brave Government that makes the installation of next generation Smart Meters compulsory ... a real vote winner ... not !

You mean this sort of thing?

Where there are 4 different types of meter all at the same premises.

That lot is a disaster waiting to happen. Visible top right, a back board with burn-scorch marks, cables direct from the cut-outs to the meters. No containment ( Trunking- tray work) nothing tied back, nothing secure. An un-holy mess.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
TBF I just grabbed it off the net, to illustrate that is highly possible to have different meters fitted at one premises, but as I said I've seen far worse on my travels. I'll check and see if I have anything I can show on here, but I think I've weeded them all.

anglo

LE
This was always the aim. There is no way that the UK could supply power for EVs never mind trying to meet the pie in the sky CO2 emissions targets.

As for riots, the public will bend over and take it just like they have for the Covid nonsense with lock downs, curfews and face nappies.

The more cynical may think that the Covid crap was just a trial to see what the Great British sheeple would take for "the public good".
No, Turning off the power deprives people of a lot more than what the lockdown did,
People will have absolutely freck all to do, we should see this winter what happens
when the spinning reserve hits zero and the wind turbines are producing sod all

No, Turning off the power deprives people of a lot more than what the lockdown did,
People will have absolutely freck all to do, we should see this winter what happens
when the spinning reserve hits zero and the wind turbines are producing sod all

The gas powered standby stations will come on line, many moons ago I worked on one that is right next to fort Dunlop, by the M6 in Birmingham. I worked on another in Lincolnshire up near Boston.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
That's exactly what I'm wondering too, homeworker. Some time ago, one of the parties in the flats in the building we inhabit requested a smart meter. The problem seemed to be that all the meters in the house are connected to a common earth - I've no idea of the technicalities involved, but it apparently meant that all the other parties in the house had to agree to have smart meters installed too. We all refused. The result was that we were bombarded with letters, e-mails and SMSs emploring us to change and that we would have no choice in the future. That sort of fits in with your "compulsary installation" scenario. It really makes you wonder what's actually going on, doesn't it?

MsG
A fully qualified installer of surveillance systems like yourself should have been able to sort this out within 5 minutes.

Or are you just lying again?

Fitting of Smart meters only involved disconnecting the phase(s) and the neutral, all the individual earth connections will be made to the buildings common PME terminal by a Bus bar for the individual ones to be connected to. At no stage does any earth disconnection take place.
@Joshua Slocum walt

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
That will work out well, car being charged up but no heating, cooking, freezers,
Nah, just pay to be on the 'never turned off' tariff! ;-)

A fully qualified installer of surveillance systems like yourself should have been able to sort this out within 5 minutes.

Or are you just lying again?

Devils advocate mode:- most surveillance systems work on extra low voltage, fed from the mains but transformed down at source. His knowledge of multi phase switching, buss bars, PFC control, cut-outs CT coils, cable sizes, installation of appropriate containment, ( and the IEE Regs,) as found in sub stations, and switch rooms I suspect are zero......allegedly.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Devils advocate mode:- most surveillance systems work on extra low voltage, fed from the mains but transformed down at source. His knowledge of multi phase switching, buss bars, PFC control, cut-outs CT coils, cable sizes, installation of appropriate containment, ( and the IEE Regs,) as found in sub stations, and switch rooms I suspect are zero......allegedly.
But he is an expert!!!

anglo

LE
The gas powered standby stations will come on line, many moons ago I worked on one that is right next to fort Dunlop, by the M6 in Birmingham. I worked on another in Lincolnshire up near Boston.
If every generator is available, we have 75.3GW, if we have a 62/3 winter
with high pressure and wind is not available, we will tear the arse out of that

If every generator is available, we have 75.3GW, if we have a 62/3 winter
with high pressure and wind is not available, we will tear the arse out of that

No argument from me. With the demise of many coal powered station's, and very little replacements, how the hell are we going to charge up 26,000,000 electric motors every night when the lads come home from work, and the Doris has the cooker heating on etc. The wind farms only account for about 15% of the total power needed, when they work.

As per an above post. I cannot see the compulsory fitting of smart meters any time in the near future, this fractured government has not the will or backbone to impose it on a very knowledgeable public, who are fully aware of what the seemingly hidden agenda is IE:- complete command from remote control rooms, of the nations domestic and industrial consumption. They fix the price, and when and how they want it to be implemented.

As usual the Daily Mail article is largely a load of old bollocks. To be frank, this project is a threat to the big energy suppliers profits and hold on the market, so I am always suspicious when I see negative stories.
Technically yes, but actually no. At a very, very simple level:
The "Smart Meter" component is actually called a communications hub. Primarily it is connected to the electricity meter and the gas meter where applicable. The comms hub is based on mobile phone technology.
The hub primarily draws data from the meters, it doesn't interact with the meters in that way; except;
The comms hubs which have a pre-pay facility will have that switching functionality.
However the energy companies don't have the access to the hubs you imagine; they are actually controlled by a department called DSP within an organisation called Smart DCC. There simply isn't the visibility to know where every hub is fitted.

The idea is that you'll be able to change energy suppliers as easily as changing mobile suppliers. This is encouraging plenty of smaller suppliers to enter the market which should drive down prices / encourage competition. It will also allow people to better monitor their consumption and see what they've spent etc.

eta: suppliers are being pressured by the Govt (via BEIS) to get a proportion of their customers fitted with "smart meters". This means they are offering some good tariffs if you'll get one fitted. You can save £200-300pa by signing up with your current supplier, normally to a 12mth contract. This is becasue they also know once you have it fitted you can bog off to a cheaper deal easily.

I find myself AGAIN responding to another Daily Mail article about SMART metering which is a lot of old tosh.
AGAIN, Yes in theory this could be done, but it would require substantial changes to the current program. Large and very very expensive changes, there are much easier ways for the Govt to turn off power to houses,

But it is steadily apparent most people have no idea how this whole program works.
On the side of your house you will have an ESME (electricity meter) and possibly a GSME (gas meter).
A device called the Communications Hub draws data from these. It will send consumption data to the PPMID (the little LCD display box in your house) and data to the Energy Provider. At its heart, the Hub is essentially a basic mobile phone. If you live in Scotland. Northern England it is made by Flextronics and supplied by Arqiva (they also run the UK terrestrial broadcast network). Central or Southern England or wales, it will be made by WNC or Toshiba and supplied by Telefonica.
There are about 30 business involved with installing these hubs. Some are energy companies (British Gas, SSE, et al) others are businesses that fit them on behalf of smaller energy providers.

The scale of the challenge just to get one fitted to every domestic property in the UK is HUGE.
To then try and use them to control your energy use by turning off your house or even individual appliances, whilst technically possible, is currently years away. The whole thing is governed by the SEC and even making minor changes takes months and more often longer than that. The range of stakeholders is quite extensive.

This is being run by Smart DCC which is technically part of Capita, but it is a ring fenced business,
It gets admin support from Capita (recruiting, payroll, that sort of thing). But it does operate as it's own entity.
Because it is a government sanctioned monopoly there is extensive oversight from BEIS, OFGEM, Gemserve.

I will repeat, the main drivers for this project was the idea is that you'll be able to change energy suppliers as easily as changing mobile suppliers, this will improve competition and help drive down prices. You could change energy suppliers on a monthly basis if you choose to, it will be that simple.
Hence why they (the big providers) are offering good tariffs to lock you into 12mth+ contracts with them.
The project also intends to allow people to better monitor their consumption and see what they've spent etc; thus it will help reduce consumption.

So you can safely put the tin foil away.

If you want to know more in excruciating detail; want to know your ESME, GSME, SMKI, SMETS1 from your SMETS2 , its all in here....

Linky to SMART METERING FOR DUMMIES - PDF BOOK

e2a
, notice the idea in the article is proposed by SSE (large company) and is being fiercely opposed by Octopus (new entrant/challenger). What this is about is that SSE don't want to pay compensation if the grid cuts out so are suggesting this ridiculous idea to try an leavage BEIS/OFGEM.

Last edited:
How will they turn off individual appliances in your house via the smart metering system?

Latest Threads