Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Smart DCC, part of outsourcing firm Capita

According to our supplier we have been using 165kW a day over a month on the night meter.
I do not run a small business data centre on the premises.
I do not grow several hundred all off plants in the attic (it is a small converted chapel - with an even smaller attic space)

Needless to say the conversation with the wobble heads in their call centre has become somewhat heated recently.

How they think £60- £70 a month usage can morph into £675 a month is normal.is beyond me.
UNless.of course I was using electrically powered trebuchets to remove the dross from they there Lundin currently infesting our local hostelry.
The tossers.
I had similar years ago and it was obvious one of the data inputers had misplaced the point when entering my readings. They suggested I could pay and then have the surplus credited against future bills, I suggested they could recalculate based on the submitted figures or send a reader round within the next two days, or I would be writing to the ombudsman and in the meantime mark the account as disputed.
I got a call back within the hour apologizing and with the bill amended.

I had similar years ago and it was obvious one of the data inputers had misplaced the point when entering my readings. They suggested I could pay and then have the surplus credited against future bills, I suggested they could recalculate based on the submitted figures or send a reader round within the next two days, or I would be writing to the ombudsman and in the meantime mark the account as disputed.
I got a call back within the hour apologizing and with the bill amended.
Someone came out today and looked at the meter and agreed that the entry must have been wrong as the reading on the night date hasn't changed in months. Will now have fun phoning them up and asking them what they intend to do about their obviously knackered meter. They can also take their offer of a "smart meter" and ram it where the sun don't shine.

Someone came out today and looked at the meter and agreed that the entry must have been wrong as the reading on the night date hasn't changed in months. Will now have fun phoning them up and asking them what they intend to do about their obviously knackered meter. They can also take their offer of a "smart meter" and ram it where the sun don't shine.
Bradford?

From that source which may not be named .... but the concept was always going to move that way .... disturbing but not surprising that as an example Generating Capacity and demand at night time to recharge Electric Vehicles may not match so selective load shedding by household may be used ...

The Government is considering giving energy networks the power to switch off a household's energy supply without warning or compensation for those affected.
A series of 'modifications' to the Smart Energy Code have been proposed by officials and look set to pass into law by next spring.
These include giving networks the right to decide when they consider the grid to be in a state of 'emergency' and the power to switch off high usage electrical devices such as electric vehicle chargers and central heating systems in British homes.

Blogg

LE
From that source which may not be named .... but the concept was always going to move that way .... disturbing but not surprising that as an example Generating Capacity and demand at night time to recharge Electric Vehicles may not match so selective load shedding by household may be used ...

What it has always been about: peak pricing and activite load management if that fails

tiv

LE
They cannot manage you if you don’t have their meters so I wonder how long it will be until compulsory meter installation is brought in.
I recall a discussion on Radio 4 about electric supply and demand and it was seriously suggested that at times of peak demand smart appliances could be turned off, freezers being the suggested target. They don't use a lot of energy but if every one is turned off probably quite a bit. It may be that car chargers are so enabled?

anglo

LE
I recall a discussion on Radio 4 about electric supply and demand and it was seriously suggested that at times of peak demand smart appliances could be turned off, freezers being the suggested target. They don't use a lot of energy but if every one is turned off probably quite a bit. It may be that car chargers are so enabled?
That will work out well, car being charged up but no heating, cooking, freezers,
internet or TV, there will be frecking riots

I don't see the problem. Of course we can trust politicians and power companies to make decisions in the best interests of the nation as a whole.

(Note to self: do not post again until I have sobered up...)

Blogg

LE
In the happy happy carbon neutral world there will be:

No gas or oil central heating. Only heat pumps.

No IC cars. Only EV'S

That's a lot of electricity required just to keep the lights on and politicians can no.longer deny reality.

Which is why all the BS about not requiring baseload along with renewables to manage grid stability has been toned down a bit and the ultimate horror of new BFO (or multiple mini) nuclear power stations is suddenly considered not quite so horrible any more.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
They cannot manage you if you don’t have their meters so I wonder how long it will be until compulsory meter installation is brought in.
That's exactly what I'm wondering too, homeworker. Some time ago, one of the parties in the flats in the building we inhabit requested a smart meter. The problem seemed to be that all the meters in the house are connected to a common earth - I've no idea of the technicalities involved, but it apparently meant that all the other parties in the house had to agree to have smart meters installed too. We all refused. The result was that we were bombarded with letters, e-mails and SMSs emploring us to change and that we would have no choice in the future. That sort of fits in with your "compulsary installation" scenario. It really makes you wonder what's actually going on, doesn't it?

MsG

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's exactly what I'm wondering too, homeworker. Some time ago, one of the parties in the flats in the building we inhabit requested a smart meter. The problem seemed to be that all the meters in the house are connected to a common earth - I've no idea of the technicalities involved, but it apparently meant that all the other parties in the house had to agree to have smart meters installed too. We all refused. The result was that we were bombarded with letters, e-mails and SMSs emploring us to change and that we would have no choice in the future. That sort of fits in with your "compulsary installation" scenario. It really makes you wonder what's actually going on, doesn't it?

MsG
You just made that up, there is no reason a smart meter couldn't be fitted separately.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
You just made that up, there is no reason a smart meter couldn't be fitted separately.
Fitting of Smart meters only involved disconnecting the phase(s) and the neutral, all the individual earth connections will be made to the buildings common PME terminal by a Bus bar for the individual ones to be connected to. At no stage does any earth disconnection take place.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fitting of Smart meters only involved disconnecting the phase(s) and the neutral, all the individual earth connections will be made to the buildings common PME terminal by a Bus bar for the individual ones to be connected to. At no stage does any earth disconnection take place.
You mean this sort of thing?

Where there are 4 different types of meter all at the same premises.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Well sort of... if you ignore the phase & neutral meter tails (the grey ones) you can see the earth cables going down to the incomer seperately from the meter tails which go into the bus bar chamber at the top, the earths disappear out of picture but I would expect them to be on an exposed earth connection below the grey box.
Feckin mess though!

ETA - looking closer, i'd guess that's four flats and one landlords supply for communal areas, the doorbell transformers are on the extreme left with the Landlords DB above, there is an old metal fused isolator to the right of the cupboard with burn marks below it.... I used to install those in factories many years ago!
ETA again! - the box on the top left isn't a distribution board, it's a BT distribution point! - shouldn't be there, neither should the CATV / satellite cables that have the joint in them where they change from black to white.

Last edited:

MsG

All blocks of flats fed from a common source:- IE a sub station, or building switch room, via individual meters*, and consumer units, all originate from a single power feed, a 3 phase, neutral and earth, 415v SWA cable from the common street. power companies can, if required remotely shut down local sub stations, but not private switch rooms in blocks of flats.

* Non smart meters.