Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

and...
The meter alerts the energy provider that it’s battery is near end of life... energy company sends man to replace unit. Job done, who gives a fcuk?

Unless you are @A signaller... the energy provider will cut him off without warning because he queried their need to attend his property ten years after the meter was installed because the battery in his meter that doesn’t actually communicate with his provider because he changed suppliers a year after it was installed is near the end of it’s life. To add insult to his outrage, the fee they’ll charge him is equivalent to the national debt of a small third world country... and breathe.
You seem rather well informed on these matters. Have shares in smart meters, do you?

iirc the problems arose when you wanted to sell your house with the panels, and the potential new owners did not want the pv panels.
One of our neighbours in the close is in the middle of a stagnating house sale... offer accepted before Covid and as if that wasn’t enough, the buyer's solicitor is now wrangling over rent-a-roof panels installed before the current owners bought the house.

The real reason that rent-a-roof is dead though is that there is no Feed in Tariff (FiT) scheme to take advantage of for the panel owners. The replacement scheme - the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) only pays for energy actually exported onto the grid rather than for every KwH actually generated.

Those on FiT get to use as much as they possibly can plus get a per KwH cash payment for every KwH actually generated plus a per KwH export’ payment - 50% of every KwH generated. On rent-a-roof, the owners of the panels get the money for twenty years and the home owner gets the free electric when the sun is shining.

On SEG, if the house owner uses a lot of the solar energy then little of it actually goes onto the grid so little cash generated for the panel owners - rent-a-roof is now not worth a bag of carrot tops these days, never mind a fresh juicy carrot.

You seem rather well informed on these matters. Have shares in smart meters, do you?
One doesn’t need to be well informed. Just read anything ever written by @A signaller and then simply assume precisely the opposite to be true.

You will never be far wrong that way.

For the record, I do not have smart meters (just in case the silly old twonk is unknowingly right)

Blogg

LE
Owned and operated by a Labour run council. What could possibly go wrong?

As in charged consumers but somehow not paid on. Now why would they do that....

Annnndddd.....here we are, further proof that councils (Labour ones in particular) can screw anything up

Net result: utter shitshow that Nottingham residents will suffer for

"The setting up and operation of an energy company is hugely ambitious, given the highly complex, highly competitive and highly regulated markets in which energy companies operate, and the impact which external global factors can have on pricing."

Looks as though RHE will shut up shop in the not too distant future - hopefully though, it will be a controlled closure with appropriate and timely announcements etc rather than the usual fiasco of trading normally yesterday, crashed today, supplier of last resort tomorrow shite that normally happens.

That said, with such a massive stake in RHE, the council may elect to continue but with energy sector expertise and experience on the board instead of labour councillors whose entire knowledge of the energy industry was gained from driving past a power station / gasworks on their way to the office.

As a current RHE customer it is one I'll be watching.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Looks as though RHE will shut up shop in the not too distant future - hopefully though, it will be a controlled closure with appropriate and timely announcements etc rather than the usual fiasco of trading normally yesterday, crashed today, supplier of last resort tomorrow shite that normally happens.

That said, with such a massive stake in RHE, the council may elect to continue but with energy sector expertise and experience on the board instead of labour councillors whose entire knowledge of the energy industry was gained from driving past a power station / gasworks on their way to the office.

As a current RHE customer it is one I'll be watching.
Get ready to welcome your SPOW overlords.

aardvark64

War Hero
Get ready to welcome your SPOW overlords.
Pardon my ignorance, Urban Dictionary say SPOW is 'supine position of the week' or some such. Can you enlighten?

Presume it's not 'Society of Profesisonal Obituary Writers' or 'Science Park of Wallonia' either.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pardon my ignorance, Urban Dictionary say SPOW is 'supine position of the week' or some such. Can you enlighten?

Presume it's not 'Society of Profesisonal Obituary Writers' or 'Science Park of Wallonia' either.
Scottish Power and may God have mercy on your soul

TamH70

MIA
Scottish Power and may God have mercy on your soul
Since Scottish Power exists, and god doesn't, there will be no mercy.

According to our supplier we have been using 165kW a day over a month on the night meter.
I do not run a small business data centre on the premises.
I do not grow several hundred all off plants in the attic (it is a small converted chapel - with an even smaller attic space)

Needless to say the conversation with the wobble heads in their call centre has become somewhat heated recently.

How they think £60- £70 a month usage can morph into £675 a month is normal.is beyond me.
UNless.of course I was using electrically powered trebuchets to remove the dross from they there Lundin currently infesting our local hostelry.
The tossers.

Still rushing around fitting redundant meters for which the government won't pay them.... I've got two fitted last year by NEEB, and would not work with another provider from minute 1. The actual meter itself is decent.... it's just the inbuilt comms module that was programmed redundant.

Last edited:
I had an interview last year for a position at Smart DCC, the company that designed and built the comms infrastructure that all the Smart Meters use to connect to the energy providers. They gave me chapter and verse about how fantastic they were at integration and it was world beating technology. When I actually got a chance to ask a few questions about why they had sat with their thumbs up there arses whilst the meters were failing to connect due to a severe lack of standards integration, it all went very quiet.

I've not turned down many contracts in my time, but this was one.

Oh and yes, it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Capita with whom I had many sorry dealings with as part of the clusterfuck that was nextgen offender tagging that didn't work mainly due to a severe lack of oversight regarding the integration between different suppliers and components. Plus ca change

I had an interview last year for a position at Smart DCC, the company that designed and built the comms infrastructure that all the Smart Meters use to connect to the energy providers. They gave me chapter and verse about how fantastic they were at integration and it was world beating technology. When I actually got a chance to ask a few questions about why they had sat with their thumbs up there arses whilst the meters were failing to connect due to a severe lack of standards integration, it all went very quiet.

I've not turned down many contracts in my time, but this was one.

Oh and yes, it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Capita with whom I had many sorry dealings with as part of the clusterfuck that was nextgen offender tagging that didn't work mainly due to a severe lack of oversight regarding the integration between different suppliers and components. Plus ca change
I thought Airwave was behind a lot of the smart meter and especially comms technology behind Smart Meters, has that changed recently?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thought Airwave was behind a lot of the smart meter and especially comms technology behind Smart Meters, has that changed recently?
The second gen ones are in theory at least, capable of working with all providers. So they insist, I have my doubts.

It may be the way my phone renders that link, but it doesn't inspire me with confidence. Pale grey text on a white background is just too difficult to bother reading.
Well done the comms team.
I just saw the name Crapita, if anything should make people avoid smart meters it should be any Crapita involvement

Latest Threads