Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

Although we have a gas combi boiler at home , we stay at a friend's place that has night storage heating. It is never right, either too hot or cold and takes days to get right when the weather changes . I asked the neighbours if it was just me, one said no its just crap and the other had ripped it out and replaced it with electric central heating.
Good luck.

............ They night storage heaters, evenbrand new modern ones, I owned, were useless.
Couldn't agree more. We had night storage heaters in a previous house. Absolutely bloody useless.... and expensive to run. They might charge up using the economy tariff but if you need to top-up during the day, it's on the main tariff. If you really want to be frightened have a look at one charging up through the old style electricity meter(the one with the wheel thingy) - it goes that fast it looks as if it's about to take off.

I find myself shouting at the car radio with the latest version of the 'get a smart meter' ad.
For those who dont sully themselves with commercial radio; after they got told off for promising savings just by having them, which we all know wouldn't happen, the latest ad basically says:
The grid is out of date which isn't your fault (but it is really) and if you get a smart meter you'll make energy cheaper for everyone as we all waste energy (yes you). So if you stop wasting energy you'll make a saving (no savings will be made without consumers reducing their use and smart meters wont help in this unless you spend your time checking them all the time which you could do with the current crop if you could be arsed) and it'll be better for everyone and we can modernise the whole system and introduce variable pricing throughout the day and charge what we like coz you wont be able to keep up....Ha Ha HA HA!!! Err....ignore the last, bit just stop at the word system.

Possibly I may have added a little bit of my own interpretation on it.

ugly

LE
I find myself shouting at the car radio with the latest version of the 'get a smart meter' ad.
For those who dont sully themselves with commercial radio; after they got told off for promising savings just by having them, which we all know wouldn't happen, the latest ad basically says:
The grid is out of date which isn't your fault (but it is really) and if you get a smart meter you'll make energy cheaper for everyone as we all waste energy (yes you). So if you stop wasting energy you'll make a saving (no savings will be made without consumers reducing their use and smart meters wont help in this unless you spend your time checking them all the time which you could do with the current crop if you could be arsed) and it'll be better for everyone and we can modernise the whole system and introduce variable pricing throughout the day and charge what we like coz you wont be able to keep up....Ha Ha HA HA!!! Err....ignore the last, bit just stop at the word system.

I seem to have come to a similar conclusion

TamH70

MIA
The four great lies:

1/ Of course I love you, darling!

2/ The cheque is in the mail.

3/ Yes, I will respect you in the morning.

4/ Smart meters are an excellent way of saving money and helping the environment.

tiv

War Hero

That last bit is the ultimate aim of course. I read somewhere that British Gas had done a variable pricing trial and that a majority of those in the trial were in favour of it. But they would say that wouldn't they.

The four great lies:

1/ Of course I love you, darling!

2/ The cheque is in the mail.

3/ Yes, I will respect you in the morning.

4/ Smart meters are an excellent way of saving money and helping the environment.
5/ Smart motorways are the way forward in road safety.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Me too. What happened to 'we have to privatise electricity as the only way to update infrastructure'?

Tell Sid? Sid has no idea!!! Sid's kids are now being lied to about the cost of infrastructure and why it's not 'up to scratch'.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Tell Sid? Sid has no idea!!! Sid's kids are now being lied to about the cost of infrastructure and why it's not 'up to scratch'.
But the Sid advert was all about British Gas, wasn't it?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
But the Sid advert was all about British Gas, wasn't it?
It was, and thereafter the Barrow boys in the City referred to ordinary punters who bought shares in utility companies as 'Sids'.

Highly patronising and unpleasant.

It doesn't take long for a utility company to go from hero to zero.

I can remember a few very short years ago when Ovo Energy were the darling of the new small startup supply companies. They consistently featured at the top of Which magazine's most favoured list under several categories. It seems that this was not to last and that what they really wanted to be was one of the industry bastards.

They have recently taken over SSE and are now the UK's second largest energy supply company. All this in barely ten years.

Another one to avoid at all costs.

endure

GCM
It doesn't take long for a utility company to go from hero to zero.

I can remember a few very short years ago when Ovo Energy were the darling of the new small startup supply companies. They consistently featured at the top of Which magazine's most favoured list under several categories. It seems that this was not to last and that what they really wanted to be was one of the industry bastards.

They have recently taken over SSE and are now the UK's second largest energy supply company. All this in barely ten years.

Another one to avoid at all costs.
I'm with OVO and whatever small problems I've had have been dealt with efficiently and promptly. Mind you I know how to read a bill and am a skinflint

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
My gas smart metre is so clever that I have to keep going outside the read the f^&king thing

Tool

LE
...it'll be better for everyone and we can modernise the whole system and introduce variable pricing throughout the day and charge what we like coz you wont be able to keep up....Ha Ha HA HA!!! Err....ignore the last, bit just stop at the word system.

You missed out that the average consumer household could save UP TO 2% by reducing their consumption. Rocket science.

Latest Threads