Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We'll HAVE to have one eventually. But my ambition is to be the last person to have one.

One of the tricks I have if push comes to shove is to repeatedly make and then cancel appointments.
I’ve done that one about a year ago now and they haven’t bothered me since.
I’ve even done something rather interesting. About five months ago or even longer my contract was coming to and end . I had a look round and went on U Switch, found a deal with my existing supplier which was only available via U Switch, yes even as an existing customer this deal was only available via U Switch.
Now then it was only when I was just about to hit send when I read that customers of this deal must agree to a smart meter. Well here I am two meter reading in and no smart meter, not even a request for me to make an appointment.
The whole process is a shambles and a farce.
AND IM GOING TO BE THE LAST TO HAVE ONE:threaten:;)

Get in the queue, I put my supplier on the blacklist on my phone and email account as I was sick of them bothering me at the most inopportune moment. ;)

philc

LE
When GCHQ are worried about smart meters and security I think most have enough grounds to say no.

On top of that when the local geek comes around and offers to clock your smart meter with a little hack and you use a penny a day I can see companies thinking WTF.

When GCHQ are worried about smart meters and security I think most have enough grounds to say no.

It’s not that well written, particularly as a smart meter isn’t part of your home network therefore isn’t a potential point of entry

The greater tech security is the potential of the meter system being hacked and connections being cut off
But that isn’t down to the meter but the operators network

Powerbroker

Old-Salt
The smart meter programme was a badly thought out political decision, ignoring professional energy managers advice, to attempt to avoid upgrading delivery infrastructure and avoid large costs. The meter programme is two years behind already, and it is now being extended by a further four years.

Some companies are still fitting SMETS1 meters, even though Ofgem ordered them to start rolling out SMETS2 last year. It is one almighty clusterf***.

Personally I blame Brexit.

Some companies are still fitting SMETS1 meters, even though Ofgem ordered them to start rolling out SMETS2 last year. It is one almighty clusterf***.
Be careful what you wish for, the difference between SMETS 1 & 2 is CAPITA!

Providers are still permited to install SMETS1 but it does not count against their government roll out targets

Blogg

LE
Another shitty trick even OFGEM (who are pushing the smart meter drive by fining suppliers for missing targets) don't like: the ability of smart meters to be remotely switched to prepayment, which is of course being used inappropriately.

‘When smart meters are remotely switched to prepayment, the opportunity afforded by a site visit to identify vulnerability or reasons why prepayment may not be safe can be missed.'

‘Remote switching without the customer being notified or aware of prepayment meter functionalities can leave that customer off supply.’

Why? Because about 70,000 smart meters were remotely switched from credit to prepayment mode to claw back arrears in 2018.

A rather big jump from 21,000 in 2017.

Having followed the above I would rather like to avoid getting a smart meter (I rejected the offer by my supplier EON to have one installed a while ago). However now I have been moved from an initial low rate dual fuel tariff to a variable rate tariff, at an almost 50% jump in cost. Obviously they can poke that so I am looking for a new supplier. Does anyone know of a supplier who do not specify a smart meter as part of the package?

Thanks

TamH70

MIA
You might struggle with that.It is apparently Govt policy to force these things upon us, albeit not until 2024, so suppliers may feel obliged to comply.
I don't have a smart meter

endure

GCM
Having followed the above I would rather like to avoid getting a smart meter (I rejected the offer by my supplier EON to have one installed a while ago). However now I have been moved from an initial low rate dual fuel tariff to a variable rate tariff, at an almost 50% jump in cost. Obviously they can poke that so I am looking for a new supplier. Does anyone know of a supplier who do not specify a smart meter as part of the package?

Thanks

I'm with OVO and, while they have smart meters available, they've never got in touch to try and persuade me to fit one. I recently signed up for a new fixed price deal and smart meters weren't mentioned at all.

sunny james

Old-Salt

Thanks
I'm with Ebico on a no standing charge tarrif. No SM needed. They have several tarrif that may suit you. Clean website and have not had any problems for several years service.

Old-Salt
Does anyone know of a supplier who do not specify a smart meter as part of the package?
Robin Hood Energy. (A not for profit energy company owned and operated by Nottingham City Council)

Not sure they are the cheapest but they're certainly not the most expensive. To date (about six months) no smart meter has been offered or even mentioned and it is the first energy company I have not thought to be a bunch of cnuts from month two onwards. I am on a fixed tariff with no exit fees should I change my mind about them.

Robin Hood Energy

Latest Threads