Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

Robme

LE
It will be interesting if they do do any damage to any of my property as they only have the right to enter property for safety reasons or if i have not paid my bill. As we pay by DD and I submit reading via t'internet, they can only legally do a safety inspection without my permission.

Any damage to property would cost them dearly.
You’ve lost the plot.
The meter and cupboard belong to them, your padlock is simple a device stoping them from reading their meter. If they need to cut if off to read their meter, you’ll find in the small print of your energy contract, their right to use whatever to read the meter. Have you never read of customers doors being broken into on account of the supplier being a dickwad, and fooking up communication with the homeowner?

TamH70

MIA
It will be interesting if they do do any damage to any of my property as they only have the right to enter property for safety reasons or if i have not paid my bill. As we pay by DD and I submit reading via t'internet, they can only legally do a safety inspection without my permission.

Any damage to property would cost them dearly.
They can afford better lawyers than you, plus it's only customer money, so who gives a damn?

I'm aware of the small print, and it's quite clear.
They have to give appropriate notice of a visit for safety or meter reading purposes if access isn't available. As they have both my email and mobile phone number, failure to notify would put them in a difficult position.

You’ve lost the plot.
The meter and cupboard belong to them, your padlock is simple a device stoping them from reading their meter. If they need to cut if off to read their meter, you’ll find in the small print of your energy contract, their right to use whatever to read the meter. Have you never read of customers doors being broken into on account of the supplier being a dickwad, and fooking up communication with the homeowner?
Got ya, he did not read the so called, get out clause called small print

Poppy

LE
that reminds me need to read the meters and fill in online - I'm not having a smart meter

We'll HAVE to have one eventually. But my ambition is to be the last person to have one.

One of the tricks I have if push comes to shove is to repeatedly make and then cancel appointments.

You’ve lost the plot.
I may be wrong, but you will find the cupboard belongs to the property, it is only the meters that belong to the supplier.

We'll HAVE to have one eventually. But my ambition is to be the last person to have one.

One of the tricks I have if push comes to shove is to repeatedly make and then cancel appointments.
They will start offering you the world to get one in three years

I may be wrong, but you will find the cupboard belongs to the property, it is only the meters that belong to the supplier.
If so then the solution is to put a little window in the door of the cupboard.

Diko

Clanker
Its all very well but having a smart meter puts a meter reader out of work. They keep asking me and I tell them no.

Its all very well but having a smart meter puts a meter reader out of work. They keep asking me and I tell them no.
They have already been put out of work - how often do you see a meter reader?
Meter fitters are being put out of work

They have already been put out of work - how often do you see a meter reader?
Meter fitters are being put out of work
I had a meter reader pitch up at mine a couple of weeks ago.
Poor sod was about 25 stone and had just negotiated 3 flights of stairs to my pied de l'air, so as it was my annual be nice to people day I let him in.
Must have been blind as a mole as well as gasping like a grampus, for when the bill arrived a few days later I was £11 summat in credit.
He can call again.

Offa

War Hero
Here in the Dykedom of Offa we can't get a mobile signal unless you go down the lane towards the paddock, even then it is intermittent. Not much point having a smart meter until we get a reliable signal. One of the joys of rural life.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
Here in the Dykedom of Offa we can't get a mobile signal unless you go down the lane towards the paddock, even then it is intermittent. Not much point having a smart meter until we get a reliable signal. One of the joys of rural life.
Every smart meter has a sim card installed (Vodafone) and if it cannot get a signal it essentially calls the nearest other smart meter (and so forth) until it gets 'out' to the network. Now you may be out in the sticks but if theres another smart meter at the end of the lane and its can get coverage then your reading will get out.
Of course if youre virtually off grid then little chance of that, but please be aware.

Tin foil time - wrap your meter in it and chances are Mr Vodaphones little sim card wont work . . . allegedly.

If so then the solution is to put a little window in the door of the cupboard.
Basically what I did when I asked for the gas meter to be moved.

It was hanging from the pipework on what was essentially an external wall.

Contact whichever group of clowns it was to point out that the meter isn't too safe where it was and its location doesn't meet legislation, so would they mind awfully shifting it a metre to the left so it meets the regs?

Oh no chief but what we can do is charge you a grand and do it and if you don't fancy that then what we'll do is stick a bracket on the wall so its secure.

Then in the finest traditions of British gas a van arrives and guy removes the meter and caps the supply.

Arent you going to put a bracket on says I?

No gov you see I'm a fitter not a driller so what you need is the guy who can use a drill to attach the bracket to the wall.
And off he goes. Next van arrives with a man with a drill who manages to stick 2 rawl plugs in the wall and goes to leave.
'Scuse me mate the meter?
Sorry pal you'll have to wait for a fitter.
Next van arrives and fitter replaces the meter, well the capped meter.
Right my lover what you need now is a domestic fitter to come and remove the caps and test the system and your good to go.
But you're a fitter??!!
Ah, but not a domestic fitter so I cant do anything that side of the meter.
Naturally this wasn't a smooth transition with each one arriving after the other one left so as I was somewhat dischuffed at having a local gas safe registered bellend arrive and twist two nuts off and on before accidentally leaving the premises with my 42mil copper pipe that must have fallen into his pocket.
So when my external wall became part of my new conservatory (which was my original aim) I bricked the fecker in and stuck a little door so they can see the reading. Needless to say fitting a new meter will be difficult, especially with the fitted kitchen units and tiling.

Eon reads my meter twice a year, I submit my own readings for the other 2 quarters.
.... and therefore half the former meter readers who used to attempt to read at each quarter have lost their jobs.
In the past if you weren’t in (unless you have an externally accessible meter) a card would have been left telling you that they are in the area and will reattempt tomorrow etc with the option to call and arrange a better time, plus the option to provide your own reading. To allow the subsequent visits there were even more meter readers. They also were originally employed by the supply companies, then phased to agency staff etc

The majority of meter readers have already lost their jobs over the years, suppliers are mandated to obtain actual readings once every two years, many may aim for once a year and others more often - providing that as an ‘enhancement’ of their service over other providers
Holding back on smart meters isn’t going to have much effect on keeping the numbers of meter readers up

Latest Threads