Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've said this before. You don't have to have one fitted but they are required to 'offer' you one. So, they offer it then you can tell them to do one.

And
Only 30% of the total target for smart meter roll out has been delivered, and the National Audit Office have said that the figure of £11bn which the government are working from underestimates the true cost of rolling out smart meters.
So its all going very well.
No surprises... the government is grossly inept with every project it undertakes involving technology upgrades. I wouldnt actually trust it to buy half a dozen pocket calculators from WH Smith... they'd pay at least treble the asking price and end up with three budget A4 ring binders and a six inch ruler.

What chance does it have of rolling out a nationwide project to replace every analogue energy meter with a fully functional smart meter?

The whole thing went wrong from the start with each company installing incompatible meters. The whole thing should have waited until a standard design was agreed upon but no, so all those meters will have to be replaced. But why should they worry it's not their money they're wasting, it's ours!

Refusing to move my gas meter whilst wanting to replace it with a smart meter, then quoting nigh on £2k to move said meter a mere 15' resulted in my supplier being asked to "do one".

I am resisting having one of these things installed, although the emails from my supplier are getting more strongly worded.

I am quite happy to take a meter reading once a month and send it in.

I don't get any emails from my supplier. There's a panel on their website that says it might be a good idea but I've had no pressure at all from them.

I don't get any emails from my supplier. There's a panel on their website that says it might be a good idea but I've had no pressure at all from them.
Nor me yet... not long been with the new supplier though so it may happen. They too have something on their website.

Anyone else noticed that the adverts have changed, now actually stating that a smart meter will not save you money alone but may help you save money by being more aware of your usage.

The old adverts said that a smart meter would save you money.

I wonder who forced them to change.

The whole thing went wrong from the start with each company installing incompatible meters. The whole thing should have waited until a standard design was agreed upon but no, so all those meters will have to be replaced. But why should they worry it's not their money they're wasting, it's ours!
I'm sure Huawei would be interested in bidding for a contract to control the power in the entire nation's homes and workplaces.

I think I have a cunning plan. Next time I get an email or call about "having to have" a smart meter I will point out that a smart meter require WiFi access.
If EON wants access to my WiFi they can rent bandwidth for £12,000 a year (price may increase at any time in the 12 months). For this £1,000 a month charge they will get access to the internet and onsite technical support should the internet connection go down. All SLA's will be best endeavours with no time frames.

Anyone else noticed that the adverts have changed, now actually stating that a smart meter will not save you money alone but may help you save money by being more aware of your usage.

The old adverts said that a smart meter would save you money.

I wonder who forced them to change.
Oh a barrage of complaints.

One of the worst offenders IMHO was British Gas who at one point were running the tariff comparison utility on their website with the Smart Meter Tariffs all working off the bold assumption that simply having one would automatically reduce the amount if energy you used.

And thus automatically making Smart Meter Tariffs appear far cheaper.

I have noticed that the emails have gone from "would you like" to "we need to". They are making having a smart metre an obligation. Example below.
If I did not know my rights I would have assumed I had to have one because the Government said so.
I had similar last year from EON so I phoned and said not interested, the guy asked if he should add me to the Not now list or the never list. I opted for the never list and have heard nothing of it since.

I think I have a cunning plan. Next time I get an email or call about "having to have" a smart meter I will point out that a smart meter require WiFi access.
If EON wants access to my WiFi they can rent bandwidth for £12,000 a year (price may increase at any time in the 12 months). For this £1,000 a month charge they will get access to the internet and onsite technical support should the internet connection go down. All SLA's will be best endeavours with no time frames.
Smart meters do not access your wifi...

Smart meters don’t need the internet to communicate. Instead, they work by using two wireless networks: the HAN (home area network) and WAN (wide area network). Which network they use depends on what they’re communicating with.​
HAN: Is a secure network contained within your home that allows digital devices to communicate with each other. This network is used to allow your smart gas and electricity meters to communicate with each other, as well as with your in-home display.​
WAN: When smart meters need to communicate with an energy provider, they use WAN. This secure network is similar to the one mobile phones use to send and receive data. It’s run by the Data Communications Company and overseen by the energy regulator Ofgem. This means it must comply with strict regulations to ensure smart meter data is kept private and secure.​

Your Baldrick style plan was very cunning but... Sadly, it's back to the drawing board for you. Don't book your smart meters yet.

A text from SSE arrived on my phone informing me that smart meter installers would be in my area and to book an appointment call this number. Funny thing is I've never had any dealings with SSE so why are they offering me a meter and would it work with British Gas. And how did they get my mobile number which is known to very few people.

A text from SSE arrived on my phone informing me that smart meter installers would be in my area and to book an appointment call this number. Funny thing is I've never had any dealings with SSE so why are they offering me a meter and would it work with British Gas. And how did they get my mobile number which is known to very few people.
Random number generator?

Update on my complaint.
Got a response to my request for a further £30 payment.
They refused to make the payment as they had credited my British Gas account with £30 (within the 10 day period) even though I had told them I wanted the payment to go to my Bank. They then paid the £30 into my bank and removed the credit from the Gas account.
I have not heard any more about re-booking the smart meter installation, if they do, I will point out that the terms of my tariff require me to book an appointment to have one fitted, which I have done.

I have noticed that the emails have gone from "would you like" to "we need to". They are making having a smart metre an obligation. Example below.
If I did not know my rights I would have assumed I had to have one because the Government said so.
Did you know you can’t fit a smart metre in your yard?

I’ll get my coat.. :)

I had similar last year from EON so I phoned and said not interested, the guy asked if he should add me to the Not now list or the never list. I opted for the never list and have heard nothing of it since.
Thanks for the heads up. I will give them a call and get added to the "Never" list.

Latest Threads