Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

But the next energy Minister will be able to remove this meddlesome piece of EU regulation that's actually taking money out of the British tax payers pockets by adding more to the bills to pay for it. But no more, Britain isn't some EU lickspittle but a proud and independent country so from this date and so on.
Feel free to add the Paul Eddington Winston Churchill speech voice to the above.

Its an easy bit of publicity in Post Brexit Britain and vote winner, coupled with the fact the energy companies will also be lobbying for some sort of extension to the deadline as they aren't going to meet it.

But the next energy Minister will be able to remove this meddlesome piece of EU regulation that's actually taking money out of the British tax payers pockets by adding more to the bills to pay for it. But no more, Britain isn't some EU lickspittle but a proud and independent country so from this date and so on.
Feel free to add the Paul Eddington Winston Churchill speech voice to the above.

Its an easy bit of publicity in Post Brexit Britain and vote winner, coupled with the fact the energy companies will also be lobbying for some sort of extension to the deadline as they aren't going to meet it.
Erm, you sure? I think the current Government and Parliament as a whole might not think the same as you!

Strange, with Scottish Power and never been contacted re smart meters yet.
I'm with Scottish Ripoff too, and they've not contacted me, though I did get a visit from two gents in really cheap suits from Utilita who seemed to think that I was supposed to get a smart meter. I refused, politely enough I guess, but they still weren't happy about it. I'm not sure they had a good strike rate from the rest of my building's denizens either.

Had a text from a British Gas complaints rep yesterday to say that they were going to credit my gas account with £30 as a result of them missing the appointment to install the Smart meters.
Grumpy old git that I am, I responded by asking why they had not had the decency to contact me within 5 days as promised and telling them that I wanted the money in my bank account.

Had a phone call straight away from a young lady promising to get the payment into my bank by Monday.

I was channeling, Jim Hacker, though granted we don't seem to have politicos of the calibre anymore.
:rolleyes:
True...quite a few Civil Servants of Sir Humphries type though...."Democracy is the enemy of government. The mass of voters have no idea how the country should be run. That is our job. Democracy is only a device to enable the government to pretend it is acting with the consent of the people."

So many words of wisdom from him :)

True...quite a few Civil Servants of Sir Humphries type though...."Democracy is the enemy of government. The mass of voters have no idea how the country should be run. That is our job. Democracy is only a device to enable the government to pretend it is acting with the consent of the people."

So many words of wisdom from him :)
Scale that concept up to the European Commission and the hideous problems with it become obvious

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Update on my complaint with British Gas (for the insomniacs)...
Had a call from them saying they would get the payment to me in 4-5 days, which would be after the 10 day window they are allowed. We got cut off during the call so they sent a follow up text letting me know that I could close the complaint by replying "Y" to the text.
Waited until yesterday to see if the payment had hit my account, after checking that it hadn't, I responded to the text asking for the additional £30 payment (for missing the 10 day window) to be paid into my account as well and stating that I would not close the complaint until both of the payments had arrived.
Still waiting for a response to that.

And a little update on my complaint with the completely hopeless Utilita.
After taking them to the Ombudsman and winning I emailed them my bank details so they could make good the payment. Then after the standard straight to voicemail call asking me to phone them I again email them all the details and wait.

So its back to the Ombudsman and explain that they haven't paid up and are ignoring my emails.
Ombudsman similarly now goes dark and ignores my email.

Signed for letter sent to Utilitas head office telling them that they have a week to send a cheque or its court action.
Ombudsman then sends a satisfaction survey, but doesn't offer anyway to contact the supposed unpaid fines team which is mentioned in the survey, oddly enough I wasn't that impressed with the follow up service or the fact they seemed to be confused by a duel fuel complaint.

No response from Utilita and with other things going on I end up giving them about 3 weeks before I start my claim.
After this is served I get straight to voicemail calls, emails (now with a direct email address) explaining that its all been a terrible mistake and they want to settle out of court for the full amount, which included fees for my time and interest :)
Cheque has now been deposited and once the bank tells me its cleared I'll cancel the money claim.

ugly

LE
Nice, recently the electronic meter fitting companies have announced lay offs as no one wants them fitted!

Nice, recently the electronic meter fitting companies have announced lay offs as no one wants them fitted!

IIRC, the government said penalties would be imposed on the supply companies if a certain amount were not fitted by a fixed date, penalties that they will pass on to the consumer, whichever way you cut it, Joe Public will get screwed, the government gets its pound of flesh, and the supply companies do not loose a penny, which are part owned by foriegn multi-nationals, the whole system stinks. Corrupt doesn't quite describe it.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Plus of course even if you don't allow one of these silly intrusive useless things in your home, you are paying for the ones installed in the homes of idiots.

Ah Tony and Gordon’s legacy, but this is explained by the fact that they were not “real” Labour !!!

YM

Last edited:
BBC news today... claims that:
  • 2.3 million of installed smart meters are not working
  • £1.7Bn spent on smart meters that don't actually work as smart meters
  • Recently fitted smart meters are still not guaranteed to be compatible with other energy suppliers
  • Smart meters which have lost some smart functionality will be prioritised for repair.
'My smart meter is driving me mad'

And
Only 30% of the total target for smart meter roll out has been delivered, and the National Audit Office have said that the figure of £11bn which the government are working from underestimates the true cost of rolling out smart meters.
So its all going very well.

Plus of course even if you don't allow one of these silly intrusive useless things in your home, you are paying for the ones installed in the homes of idiots.
I am resisting having one of these things installed, although the emails from my supplier are getting more strongly worded.

I am quite happy to take a meter reading once a month and send it in.

I am resisting having one of these things installed, although the emails from my supplier are getting more strongly worded.

I am quite happy to take a meter reading once a month and send it in.
You could state that you are going to report them for harassment and bullying.

Latest Threads