Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

A good friend of mine worked on a project involving smart meters a year ago. It was regarding adding direct control to specific appliances that would be sold in the future that would allow power companies to decide when you could use your washing machine/tumble dryer, oven etc. All quite sinister and hopefully it will not see daylight.
Remember hearing a discussion about future energy supply and a spokesman for the energy sector was talking about turning off peoples smart appliances at times of peak demand to reduce the load. Small individual saving but large over the whole country.

Moved into a temporary rental. Supplier One used by landlord. Supplier Two 'used' by rental agency, Supplier Three - our contract moved to new temp address, to be continued in next house once purchase completed.

Oh the shenanigans to get S-Two to understand they were never taken up on their offer, S-One to understand that bar 4 days overlap, for which we would happily pay if they gave us a bill for those 4 days, all usage was to be billed to (helpful and co-operative) landlord.

This house is old and currently 'a project'. I do not want people to be piddling around changing meters every 9 - 12 months. Remote wireless monitoring is a no-no because due to old walls we have to use 4 extenders to get service indoors. Sometimes you have to stand on the front doorstep to get phone signal, sometimes not. Don't even start me on how wifi thermostats have to sit next to the boiler to register......

I've been with Scottish Power for a couple of years. I've considered a smart meter but haven't been convinced partly through reading this thread. On top of that, I'm currently going through a bit of a saga with Scottish Power which has pretty much convinced me to definitely not go with a smart meter.

I'm on an economy dual fuel contract where I enter the readings each month and pay by direct debit. The contract was running until this coming April.

However back in November last year, I had a curious email saying that Scottish Power had agreed to my request to move my pre-payment meter contract to a quarterly payment contract.

On checking my online account, I discovered several changes had been made to my account. My dual fuel contract had disappeared and my direct debit had been ended. I now had two accounts, one for gas and one for electricity and they were both on standard rate contracts.

I was also showing a £5000 (yes five thousand pounds) credit on my account.

I contacted Scottish Power and said hang on a minute, what are you doing. I'm neither on a pre-payment meter and I definitely haven't made any request to change my contract. I also pointed out that while it was very nice that they owed me five grand, it was also ludicrous and nonsense.

The call centre staff are quite limited in what problems they can resolve and after listening to much tapping of the keyboard over the phone during an exchange of information, it was decided that the best way forward was to register a complaint.

They then sent me a cheque for £500 which I've banked but have put in a savings account ready to be sent back if it's asked for.

There have been several emails sent backwards and forwards including requests for pictures of my meters to prove that they are what I said they are. It was important to include photos of any stickers on the meters showing dates of installation etc. All this was duly done. I've also carried on going online each month and posting the meter figures showing consumption for both gas and electric.

There have also been a couple of phone calls from their complaints department looking for information which I have supplied plus I've told them thank you for the money but I have no idea how they have come to any conclusion that I was owed anything by them.

This all culminated in a visit a couple of weeks ago by someone who inspected the meters and checked the figures on them.

Finally, on going online to my account now, I am back to one dual fuel account for my gas and electric and there is a bill on there for £396. That's not too bad but it is still being calculated at the standard rate.

So I rang Scottish Power two days ago and said that I wanted to pay my bill but I wanted it calculated at the economy rate I was contracted to with them before they decided to mess everything up.

The woman on the phone was awfully nice but after twenty minutes or so on the phone, she told me that their computers had developed a fault and she would have to phone me back.

So here I am two days later and still no phone call so I am going to have to now phone them again. This whole process has been a real pain. I still have no answer why this all happened and it seems to me that if I don't make the effort, it won't get resolved until somebody at Scottish Power suddenly says, hang on a minute, you owe us a bucket load of cash and we want it now.

Smart meters? After this saga, you've got no chance!
We had a lot of trouble with Scottish Power last year. In the end I wrote to the Chairman, a Spaniard, as it's actually owned by a Spanish Company.

Next day, a phone call from a lovely lady in the Chairman's Office, took all the details, apologised profusely, sorted the problem, credited our accout £50 and said we wouldn't be tied to our contract if we wished to leave. Also took feedback on the individuals who had been unhelpful for 'training'. (So there, rude Scouser who cut us off because we contradicted him with evidence and stupid lady who refused to put us through to her supervisor because we didn't have a problem!)

Talk to organ grinders, not monkeys!

Why not just legally require the energy provider to provide:

a) statement on an annual basis of your usage?

b) on every bill your rolling annual average usage?

And require all new builds and meters requiring replacement to be smart

Being called twice a day, every day by Scottish Power’s agents, despite telling them repeatedly that I don’t want one, will not want one, stop calling me, take me off your calling list, etc. They’re now emailing me daily. This is harassment, so I replied threatening them with legal action. My contract with them runs out in April. I will not renew, even if they are the cheapest.

Smart meters to have a pre set thermostat set at 18 degrees . After that , a recorded message is endlessly played throughout the flat or house lecturing the residents about global warming .The TV is jammed on a channel showing a loop of polar bears raiding bins and any benefits to the household are immediately stopped .
It's the sort of thing they'd do in Singapore .

What I cannot understand is why no one will call "Time" on the farce that is Smartmeters!!!

The benefits were overstated at best and only the power industry gains at the subscribers expense.

However Tony and Gordan thought it a good idea.

YM

What I cannot understand is why no one will call "Time" on the farce that is Smartmeters!!!

The benefits were overstated at best and only the power industry gains at the subscribers expense.

YM
It'll just be a matter of time like all Government IT projects that are too big to fail, anyone remember the national electronic medical record? (That particular earner got me a jump in 2 paygrades and all the OT I could eat and I got paid to travel to various sites in works time......ah happy, happy days. Why on earth did I leave the NHS gravy train?).

Uptake has peaked and the industry cant shift the things, so it wont be long before there's a change of policy/government and the whole thing will be kicked into the long grass.

YM
Frecking EU and the UK gold plated the directive like it does with all the directives

The foundations for rolling out smart meters in Europe were laid down in a 2006 EU directive on energy end-use efficiency and energy services. The directive required member states to ensure that consumers of energy and water are provided with individual meters and accurate billing, including time-of-use information.23 Jun 2016

EU member states are required to implement smart meters under the 2009 Third Energy Package wherever it is cost-effective to do so, with the goal to replace 80% of electricity meters with smart meters by 2020.

The 80% target applies to both households and commercial buildings, a Commission spokesperson confirmed. The EU executive will publish in the next one to two years a report on smart meters “in the context of our regular monitoring exercise of the progress of members states,” the spokesperson said.

I've been with Scottish Power for a couple of years. I've considered a smart meter but haven't been convinced partly through reading this thread. On top of that, I'm currently going through a bit of a saga with Scottish Power which has pretty much convinced me to definitely not go with a smart meter.

I'm on an economy dual fuel contract where I enter the readings each month and pay by direct debit. The contract was running until this coming April.

However back in November last year, I had a curious email saying that Scottish Power had agreed to my request to move my pre-payment meter contract to a quarterly payment contract.

On checking my online account, I discovered several changes had been made to my account. My dual fuel contract had disappeared and my direct debit had been ended. I now had two accounts, one for gas and one for electricity and they were both on standard rate contracts.

I was also showing a £5000 (yes five thousand pounds) credit on my account.

I contacted Scottish Power and said hang on a minute, what are you doing. I'm neither on a pre-payment meter and I definitely haven't made any request to change my contract. I also pointed out that while it was very nice that they owed me five grand, it was also ludicrous and nonsense.

The call centre staff are quite limited in what problems they can resolve and after listening to much tapping of the keyboard over the phone during an exchange of information, it was decided that the best way forward was to register a complaint.

They then sent me a cheque for £500 which I've banked but have put in a savings account ready to be sent back if it's asked for.

There have been several emails sent backwards and forwards including requests for pictures of my meters to prove that they are what I said they are. It was important to include photos of any stickers on the meters showing dates of installation etc. All this was duly done. I've also carried on going online each month and posting the meter figures showing consumption for both gas and electric.

There have also been a couple of phone calls from their complaints department looking for information which I have supplied plus I've told them thank you for the money but I have no idea how they have come to any conclusion that I was owed anything by them.

This all culminated in a visit a couple of weeks ago by someone who inspected the meters and checked the figures on them.

Finally, on going online to my account now, I am back to one dual fuel account for my gas and electric and there is a bill on there for £396. That's not too bad but it is still being calculated at the standard rate.

So I rang Scottish Power two days ago and said that I wanted to pay my bill but I wanted it calculated at the economy rate I was contracted to with them before they decided to mess everything up.

The woman on the phone was awfully nice but after twenty minutes or so on the phone, she told me that their computers had developed a fault and she would have to phone me back.

So here I am two days later and still no phone call so I am going to have to now phone them again. This whole process has been a real pain. I still have no answer why this all happened and it seems to me that if I don't make the effort, it won't get resolved until somebody at Scottish Power suddenly says, hang on a minute, you owe us a bucket load of cash and we want it now.

Smart meters? After this saga, you've got no chance!
@rgjbloke,
Sounds like it's time you went to stage 2 of scottish powers complaints system.
Scottish Power complaints

Being called twice a day, every day by Scottish Power’s agents, despite telling them repeatedly that I don’t want one, will not want one, stop calling me, take me off your calling list, etc. They’re now emailing me daily. This is harassment, so I replied threatening them with legal action. My contract with them runs out in April. I will not renew, even if they are the cheapest.
There's always the Information Commissioner and the Energy Ombudsman who can deal with complaints. I don't trust any company's own internal complaints procedure aka "the bin".

Uptake has peaked and the industry cant shift the things, so it wont be long before there's a change of policy/government and the whole thing will be kicked into the long grass.[/QUOTE]

A signaller said
What, and made to look like fools, what's the betting some thin lipped, tight arsed jobsworth in Whitehall will lobby his political boss, to pass legislation making it compulsory, spouting the usual government bollox and waffle about it being for the common good, citing the advantages of blah blah etc

Latest Threads