Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

My Ombudsman case went in last week, not that I expect to hear anything until well into the New Year but I have discovered how the utility firm can manipulate the data and payments with the bloody things when I was putting last bits of evidence together.
I logged into the account to take a few screen shots of usage and costs and discovered that while the gas usage remained the same, the costs suddenly plummeted to a few pence, down from the £1.50 a day I was paying. Happily the readings were for 7 days so I could show what they did have me paying. This was sent off and today I log in again to see if I need to add credit to keep the place warmed through.
Interestingly Monday I didn't use any gas and yesterday I used double the typical amount of gas (well it was Xmas after all) while the electricity use remains constant. Quite an achievement for an empty property that just has a boiler kicking in for 30 mins a day!
Now call me cynical, but the cheap tariff didn't kick in until I emailed them to complain about being overcharged, the sudden fluctuation in gas use doesn't leave them out of pocket but potentially shows that the meter is at fault and needs swapping and 'interrogating'.
Of course you could look at this as manipulation of the data from their end so that the evidence they present in defence of my complaint 'proves' its not their fault and they can safely ignore the real earner which is the week with no electric (£70 every 12 hours) as I'd never mentioned it!?
I wonder if the recording of the original phone call makes in to their evidence, or has sadly been lost?

I'm with Robin Hood energy (as opposed to Robin B'stards). It's the only one I can find that has a no standing charge apart from one that demands a smart meter install as it varies the power cost depending on the time of day.
The charges we pay are a little higher than most but as we are away most of the year it suits us fine. I call the Winter Fuel Allowance the aircon allowance.
We're back in 'Nam just now saying hello to Betty Swallocks.
Happy New year.

My smart meter must be incredibly bright. It's generated me a bill from February 2012 for £254.
As I paid by direct debit it seems strange to be hit after so many years. Anyone had any experience overturning old, odd invoices?

I'm with Robin Hood energy (as opposed to Robin B'stards). It's the only one I can find that has a no standing charge apart from one that demands a smart meter install as it varies the power cost depending on the time of day.
The charges we pay are a little higher than most but as we are away most of the year it suits us fine. I call the Winter Fuel Allowance the aircon allowance.
We're back in 'Nam just now saying hello to Betty Swallocks.
Happy New year.
Just looked at Robin Hood Energy... offered three tariffs for Electric and three for gas but all had a standing charge. In the cold light of day I will make some comparisons but I like the idea of a not for profit local authority (Nottingham City Council) reselling energy.

We are still with Scottish Power following the collapse of Extra Energy. Scottish Power are dragging their heels in getting our account set up so we can switch suppliers without an exit fee. Presumably they think that consumer apathy will set in and people transferred in by Ofgem from Extra Energy won't bother to switch if they are held captive for long enough.

My view is of course, if we wanted to be with Scottish Energy we wouldn't have been with Extra Energy in the first place.

Just looked at Robin Hood Energy... offered three tariffs for Electric and three for gas but all had a standing charge. In the cold light of day I will make some comparisons but I like the idea of a not for profit local authority (Nottingham City Council) reselling energy.

We are still with Scottish Power following the collapse of Extra Energy. Scottish Power are dragging their heels in getting our account set up so we can switch suppliers without an exit fee. Presumably they think that consumer apathy will set in and people transferred in by Ofgem from Extra Energy won't bother to switch if they are held captive for long enough.

My view is of course, if we wanted to be with Scottish Energy we wouldn't have been with Extra Energy in the first place.
Sorry I should have said I'm with Ebico who resell Robin Hood.
I just sent my meter readings in via a smartphone, was a tad difficult due to previous readings displaying over the date but got there in the end. Otherwise highly recommended.

In my little case with the Ombudsman I'm currently awaiting both sets of evidence to be allocated for investigation.
Happily after the firm add their stuff you get to add comments, and boy was it bad.

The highlights were they didn't even acknowledge the electric supply complaint and offered no defence at all.

Stated twice that I'd never asked for normal meters to be fitted.....after first stating that on X date they attended to fit them and not prepay ones.
Claim that the meters had been reconfigured to credit after I complained that I was being over charged for gas (they hadn't, but then why would they as I hadn't asked had I?!) and basically said I was an idiot for saying I was using too much gas and it was their fault, not that I was overpaying for the gas I used.
Agreed that I had asked only to be contacted in writing and that they always phoned but missed pointing out that their version is after complaining via email they email you to tell you to call them.

I had to read it 3 times before I could get my head round the inaccuracies and it took me about an hour to pick it apart and add comments, not because it was complex but just soooo bad. Voice recordings weren't included as suspected and the usage data they provided as evidence was in pounds and pence so without the constant KwH readings it didn't look excessive, all useful evidence from the smart meter that I had screen grabs for.

I suggested that the Ombudsman may like to request the recordings as they were offered to me at one point, but never forthcoming oddly enough. But, as their defence is so weak and (being generous) inaccurate, unless Sir General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett, VC, KCB, DSO is the Ombudsman its not going to go well for the firm who are also being looked at by Ofgem for their complaints handling process.

I had to read it 3 times before I could get my head round the inaccuracies and it took me about an hour to pick it apart and add comments, not because it was complex but just soooo bad. Voice recordings weren't included as suspected and the usage data they provided as evidence was in pounds and pence so without the constant KwH readings it didn't look excessive, all useful evidence from the smart meter that I had screen grabs for.
Just in case it might make a difference to you, the correct abbreviation is kWh.

Just in case it might make a difference to you, the correct abbreviation is kWh.
Picky...

... whilst you are not wrong, as long as the letters are in the correct order*, any permutation of upper and lower case will adequately and unambiguously indicate the the unit of energy referred to.

Nobody will get on anybody's case for that. Except you maybe ;)

*any order of those three letters is probably going to do the job too if taken contextually.

I am being picky and I would hope that the Ombudsman would not be. But I have found that, where lawyers are concerned, it is best not to give them the slightest opportunity to allow your argument to be side-tracked.

I once spoke at a hearing where a lawyer launched in to a 10 minute tirade on the fact that I had used the word "conditions" in my submission instead of the technically correct word "provisions".

I'm accepting the pickiness as I was wrong (and knew it) though happily my comments on their 'quality' evidence/defence were very accurate.
I doubt anyone even proof read their submission let alone anyone who knew someone whos mate did A level Law and got an E.

Having read reviews about their service in general I came to the conclusion that as they primarily deal with prepay meters they have a certain expectation of the education level of their customers and from that treat everyone the same on the grounds that the customer in their case doesn't have a choice.

The few times when I did manage to speak to the hopeless sods on the phone they got very flustered when, due to having a nice word doc in front of me with all the dates and info, I was able to counter any excuse or omission that they made. Clearly far more used to simply telling the 'thick' customer their version of events and expecting them to agree to what they say as they had a recording of the conversations and the customer couldn't prove otherwise.