Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

I let Scottish Gas install a smart meter, god knows why. All seemed fine until about a year after the installation when they informed me the meter hadn't been working for the whole year, and so they had no idea how much I'd used as it was fucked to the extent that they couldn't even get a current read from it - completely borked.

So they said they'd charge .e based on an average usage, to which I told them to **** off - I'm not average, I'm a unique and valued individual.

Ended up a years free power after they backed down with a compliant to the Ombudsman. Then I switched to Ovo. Hah.

I've now switched to Powershop - they had the cheapest tariff but it's based on buying power packs via their app. You basically pay in advance for cheap leccy. As long as you buy all the packs you'll work out on the cheapest rate. It's only s monthly contract, with no cancellation fee which is what I love about it - no harm risking a punt!

For my Aviemore place, I'll never get the meter changed. It's too much fun watching the disc nearly spin off its bearing when the hot tub and heaters kick in.
For the Aviemore place hot tub insulate as much as possible and then a bit more - huge ueber insulated lid for the tub with no air gaps. It will stay warm as a thermal mass for ages.

About 20 years ago I had a look at a place in Switzerland that was an energy experiment. They had solar panels on the roof to heat the water and the water was stored in a cylinder in the cellar. I can't remember exactly how big the storage cylinder was but, it was round and at least 6 metres diameter and stood around 3 metres tall. The base insulation was the spray on foam shite to a depth of around 15cm and then it was covered in what was effectively a 1 metre thick tank jacket. The idea was the mass of water in the cylinder was heated over the summer using the panels on the roof and then in the winter it became the thermal mass providing heat and hot water for the dwelling. Best lesson on insulation I ever saw.

Not got a local Winston to assist?

Or you could do what some enterprising soldier did in Aldershot. His MQ backed up to the pavillion on the sports field. When some routine maintenance was being carried out on the pavillion a spurious cable was found leading out from the meter. The cable was followed down and out of the pavillion, then once outside it was dug up to trace and follow its path. It led to the back fence of an adjacent MQ. RMP came along, knocked on the door and discovered a nice meter bypass and splice job.

Early 70's I was living in a flat with a secondary meter with a vicious tarriff......

One day I was so pissed- off I kicked it, and the glass fell out...... after that, when we wanted a bath, we'd put a clothes peg on the disc to slow it down..........

Okay. I'll just do the donkey thing myself.

Here's your £50.

View attachment 364536
You have made me feel so guilty I couldn't possibly take it now... maybe you could give it to the donkeys too... £74 quid instead of £24 is much better.

I can't do anything to generate a supplier cash back for something like a month according to Scottish power... sit tight.

This hiatus has given me time to discover that I have been consuming way above the uk average gas volume which is based on an average three bed house.

I have a largish three bed det house which we consider to be a 'warm' house, well insulated and sheltered on its north flank, two people and a doglet, gas heating with hot water supplemented by solar power and hob only. No overnight space or water heating and a smart thermostat that is generally set no higher than 18° / 19° and it geofences the house - leave home, all off and get near home, back on.

The meter is of the old analogue variety unlike the leccy one which is a non smart digital thing. If I come over all Mystic Meg, as the mist clears in the crystal ball I see a... a meter check. Yes a meter check in my not too distant future.

Anyone wanting me to peer into their future (via my crystal ball) needs only to provide a signed direct debit form and I am at their service (after the first month's payment).

It's a shame monopoly water companies have managed to get the government on their side and everyone (almost) has to have a water meter. Once the "honeymoon" period is over I reckon charges will rise and keep on rising with silly little excuses similar to the ones the train companies use for exorbitant increases.
Government sets the ticket prices +/- 1-3 % this is how the franchises make money ( in theory)

See Richard Branson/East Coast Line for further information.

Hence in theory old bean. Last time virgin turned into LeNEoR it turned a profit. Suprised as ********* they re franchised it

I may have discovered an actual useful feature of smart meters.

My ongoing battle with the utterly useless Utilita continues with them essentially blanking me (still all good ammo come the Ombudsman case) yesterday I went down the rental for a general check and noticed that the gas had dropped into emergency credit (or as they call it 'friendly credit') by all of 65p and the gas was off.
Try to do the online top up thing and it fails every time and I'm forced to go to the COOP with the pikey card and get some credit added. This apparently should appear within 30 mins.

Obviously it didn't and I had to go and type in the voucher code today and now the meter is showing a £1.20 odd debt? Now all that happens down there is the heating comes on for 30 mins first thing to stop it getting damp and that seems to be an awful lot for half an hours heating, especially when the there's TRVs and a thermostat which shut everything down once its up to temp.

I came home and logged into the account, which thanks to the smart meter has recorded the kwh of gas used each day.
As you'd expect this is pretty consistent and as well as showing the kwh it lets you see how much its charging me (the marketing folk would be proud of me). I work out based on the tariff that I should be paying about 50p a day, the actual charge for the gas however is £1.13 a day!

I washed my hands after having a pee yesterday and it cost 4p.

Next week the ridiculous 8 week waiting period expires and I get to escalate my complaint to the Ombudsman, though maybe this time they'll reply to the email and put it all right, though as I'm adding costs for the time I'm forced to waste on their incompetence I hope not.

British Gas are being a bit sneaky, I've just clocked this on Uswitch while checking tariffs

"
  • No exit fees if you switch between this supplier's tariffs
  • By signing up to this tariff you agree to book a smart meter installation within 3 months. If you do not book this appointment, you will be offered a different tariff with different rates. "
Forcing people to switch via the back door?

British Gas are being a bit sneaky, I've just clocked this on Uswitch while checking tariffs

"
  • By signing up to this tariff you agree to book a smart meter installation within 3 months. If you do not book this appointment, you will be offered a different tariff with different rates. "
Not really, u could book it, and then cancel it, by their definition you have fulfilled what it stated u had to do.

EON sent me a text message yesterday telling me they'd booked me an appointment to have a smart meter installed on 3rd Jan. I had the option to reply with YES if ok, REBOOK to reschedule or NO to cancel. I replied with NO.

It's not the first time they've randomly booked an appointment to install a smart meter and I cancelled on that occasion too. If they do send someone round and I happen to be at home they'll be told to foxtrot oscar.

They contacted me about three years ago by phone about installing a smart meter. I told them I wasn't going to have one. Since then they've plagued me with letters and phone calls. I ignore their letters and add their varying phone numbers to my nuisance call blocker.

The thick tawts really haven't got it into their heads yet that, until it becomes a legal requirement, which it currently is not, I am not going to have a smart meter.

The hopeless twunts at Utilita contacted me to exchange the defective gas meter the other day so they can 'interrogate' it and refund me for the gas used.

Now as its a smart meter and as I mentioned I was able to use it to work out that its overcharging by around 120% it begs the question why, when I can get that info from the account they cant?
There's also a little get out on the email that for 'security reasons' they wont reply in detail to emails and you have to call them. Obviously someone on the phone claiming to be me is far more secure than an email (password protected) or letter to the address, but then they're also quite insistent on the phone that you don't use speaker as they cant hear you properly. Or alternatively you may have a witness in the room or be recording it yourself.

Already referred to Ombudsman so I look forward to the suitable compensation.

There's also a little get out on the email that for 'security reasons' they wont reply in detail to emails and you have to call them. Obviously someone on the phone claiming to be me is far more secure than an email (password protected) or letter to the address, but then they're also quite insistent on the phone that you don't use speaker as they cant hear you properly. Or alternatively you may have a witness in the room or be recording it yourself.

Already referred to Ombudsman so I look forward to the suitable compensation.
Why its legal to do so without informing them, Call Recording Laws & Regulations for Businesses in UK

If a crime/fraud has been committed on their behalf, then its allowed to be escalated beyond to the 3rd parties.

Hence the reason I wont speak to them and want a nice trail of documents that they are a very reluctant to provide.
The turn off speaker thing only occurred to me the other day.

"
British Gas are the worse energy supplier by a mile