Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

I imagine the whole thing will shortly become this decades NPFiT (NPfIT: Lessons we wish we knew in the first age of digital health) which I had the pleasure of drawing a fat wad of cash from at the time.

As an aside I've had 3 voicemails left by Utilita asking me to call them (what with my do not call note on the file) each time I've emailed back telling them that I wont speak to them and put it in writing.
Now you have to question why they aren't keen to put things in black and white and would rather have their own voice recording?

Further to my smug claim that my current energy supplier, Extra Energy is not offering smart meters then (post #617 just before this post)...

Email tonight... they have ceased trading and Ofgem has appointed Scottish Power as our new energy supplier.

Right... cheers Ofgem. I'd sooner buy a box of AA batteries and a Calor gas cylinder than have Scottish power as my energy supplier.

Once the charges /credits to date are sorted we'll be looking for a new supplier... bastards.
I've found Bulb to be fair and switching to them was straightforward. They're not doing smart meters yet.

ugly

LE
British Gas attempted to myther me, I gave them a stiff ignore. I want to pay my bill when I want to not when some spy in my house says so!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I let Scottish Gas install a smart meter, god knows why. All seemed fine until about a year after the installation when they informed me the meter hadn't been working for the whole year, and so they had no idea how much I'd used as it was fucked to the extent that they couldn't even get a current read from it - completely borked.

So they said they'd charge .e based on an average usage, to which I told them to **** off - I'm not average, I'm a unique and valued individual.

Ended up a years free power after they backed down with a compliant to the Ombudsman. Then I switched to Ovo. Hah.

I've now switched to Powershop - they had the cheapest tariff but it's based on buying power packs via their app. You basically pay in advance for cheap leccy. As long as you buy all the packs you'll work out on the cheapest rate. It's only s monthly contract, with no cancellation fee which is what I love about it - no harm risking a punt!

For my Aviemore place, I'll never get the meter changed. It's too much fun watching the disc nearly spin off its bearing when the hot tub and heaters kick in.

Donny

ADC
Further to my smug claim that my current energy supplier, Extra Energy is not offering smart meters then (post #617 just before this post)...

Email tonight... they have ceased trading and Ofgem has appointed Scottish Power as our new energy supplier.

Right... cheers Ofgem. I'd sooner buy a box of AA batteries and a Calor gas cylinder than have Scottish power as my energy supplier.

Once the charges /credits to date are sorted we'll be looking for a new supplier... bastards.
I went through the process when my supplier (Iresa) went bust in the summer. I ended up with a company called Octopus who are a decent size, good on price and had a couple of bells and whistles I wanted. They’ve an offer on at the moment - if you switch to them they’ll put a £50 credit on your account (full disclosure: and the same on mine. Well you didn’t think I was doing this for nothing )

Just click this link and you’ll get exact pricing for your region: Split £100 | Octopus Energy

I've found Bulb to be fair and switching to them was straightforward. They're not doing smart meters yet.
Cheers CL... I have been looking, preparatory to switching at the earliest possible opportunity.

Having a marked preference for the smaller energy resellers, primarily those (at least professing to be) providing only 'green' electricity, I have shortlisted a couple of possibles but I'll take a shufti at Bulb.

Scottish Power sent a lovely email yesterday asking for (closing) meter readings and telling us all about our beautiful future together... not a hint of how or when we can switch to a supplier that we have voluntarily chosen :D.

I've now switched to Powershop - they had the cheapest tariff but it's based on buying power packs via their app. You basically pay in advance for cheap leccy. As long as you buy all the packs you'll work out on the cheapest rate. It's only s monthly contract, with no cancellation fee which is what I love about it - no harm risking a punt!
I looked at this one but I'm not sure that I am ready (probably too much if an inflexible old fart) for such a major step change in the way I buy energy... plus with the the panels on the roof, I am not sure his it would work in trying to estimate electricity needs in terms of 'power packs'.

Just click this link and you’ll get exact pricing for your region: Split £100 | Octopus Energy
You get £50, I get £50 eh? Give me £25 and I'll consider it.

I'll take a look... if it suits, why not. Thanks for the pointer.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
We have just had a very nice letter from the Chairman of Scottish Power and a fifty quid refund to our bank account. After two years with them a letter to him was the only way to get our address corrected. Avoid them!!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have recently seen a few PV panels failing
you get a few problems with them
birds nesting underneath as they are warm, usually pigeons
odd water leaks caused by poor install by chimps
and the things need regular cleaning
I have noticed a few that have delaminated or gone cloudy, contacted the manufacturers only to find no longer in production
I am not really sure wether they will last long enough to pay for themselves
and I have also seen some very poor installations on the 230v side
its a lot of money to pay out
oh and the government grant is being reduced for the poxy things
like smart meter s they are a PIA

If the smart meter was simply a helpful aid then maybe you would like to have them. But, they don't really even hide the fact they are a requirement to effect a massive future change, bringing in half hour pricing and will end up been a snoopy spy and agent to screwing us over.

People either know or have the instincts that this is the man screwing us and long may the resistance continue.

I have recently seen a few PV panels failing
you get a few problems with them
birds nesting underneath as they are warm, usually pigeons
odd water leaks caused by poor install by chimps
and the things need regular cleaning
I have noticed a few that have delaminated or gone cloudy, contacted the manufacturers only to find no longer in production
I am not really sure wether they will last long enough to pay for themselves
and I have also seen some very poor installations on the 230v side
its a lot of money to pay out
oh and the government grant is being reduced for the poxy things
like smart meter s they are a PIA
Bloke in our lane was selling his house.The solicitors raised the question of the pv panels on the roof.The firm that had installed them had gone bust, the firm that bought their customer book had no record of the install.The new buyers were on the verge of pulling out of the purchase.The vendor took out an indemnity insurance to cover the things for five years.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I looked at this one but I'm not sure that I am ready (probably too much if an inflexible old fart) for such a major step change in the way I buy energy... plus with the the panels on the roof, I am not sure his it would work in trying to estimate electricity needs in terms of 'power packs'.

You get £50, I get £50 eh? Give me £25 and I'll consider it.

I'll take a look... if it suits, why not. Thanks for the pointer.
Nah, nothing to do with your usage.

They have three tariffs - you sign up for all three as part of the one package.

If you buy all the power packs they offer you, you'll hit the cheapest tariff.

If you buy some, you'll hit the middle tarriff.

If you buy none, you'll get the top, most expensive tariff.

Averaged out over a year.

So don't worry about how much you use, you just buy every pack they offer you to get the cheapest rate. It's encouraging you to pay in advance, that's all.

Some people have been kicking off because they didn't understand how it works so got the highest tariff as they weren't buying packs, etc. It was the cheapest rate on the market I could find if you buy the packs.

The strategy of choosing a supplier that doesn’t currently offer smart meters is doomed to fail - especially if you keep switching when the offers come

Every supplier must offer them, if not currently then it will be happening

You are not obliged to take the smart meter, and a semi advantage to them not accepting no is that as some have posted you end up being compensated for harassment

The strategy of choosing a supplier that doesn’t currently offer smart meters is doomed to fail - especially if you keep switching when the offers come

Every supplier must offer them, if not currently then it will be happening

You are not obliged to take the smart meter, and a semi advantage to them not accepting no is that as some have posted you end up being compensated for harassment
The strategy can't actually fail if you think about it... until such time as the government introduce the necessary legislation to compel every energy consumer to have a smart meter, the strategy is good. After legislation, the strategy doesn't fail, it just no longer exists.

Smaller suppliers (who are less likely to have a smart meter agenda) are generally offering lower energy prices than the big six who have massive smart meter targets to meet and massive £££ penalties for failure to meet them.

At the point of compulsory smart metering the playing field is perhaps levelled and a new strategy will be needed but in the meantime... I'll keep choosing the smaller suppliers... for the reasons above and to stay outside of the big six cartel.

The strategy can't actually fail if you think about it... until such time as the government introduce the necessary legislation to compel every energy consumer to have a smart meter, the strategy is good. After legislation, the strategy doesn't fail, it just no longer exists.

Smaller suppliers (who are less likely to have a smart meter agenda) are generally offering lower energy prices than the big six who have massive smart meter targets to meet and massive £££ penalties for failure to meet them.

At the point of compulsory smart metering the playing field is perhaps levelled and a new strategy will be needed but in the meantime... I'll keep choosing the smaller suppliers... for the reasons above and to stay outside of the big six cartel.
Irrespective of the supplier you are not required to have a smart meter
Jumping to a supplier that isn’t currently offering them just prolongs the point until they call. Hopping suppliers when you get offered one is doomed to fail, you will get offered again

The suppliers are already required to offer them - by the deadline

Go to the supplier you want for the combination of service / price you want and refuse the smart meter if you wish

Irrespective of the supplier you are not required to have a smart meter
Jumping to a supplier that isn’t currently offering them just prolongs the point until they call. Hopping suppliers when you get offered one is doomed to fail, you will get offered again

The suppliers are already required to offer them - by the deadline

Go to the supplier you want for the combination of service / price you want and refuse the smart meter if you wish
Who actually switches supplier simply because they have been offered a smart meter by their existing supplier? About the square root of nobody at a guess. Who even knows whether or not a small supplier will push smart meters until after they have switched (unless they are advertising a tempting smart meter only tariff up front).

The vast majority of supplier changes will come about as a result of fixed tariffs ending. Do people still get coerced / doorstepped into switching? I suppose they do...

Whilst it is true that everybody will eventually be offered a smart meter regardless of supplier, energy suppliers do not, as the situation currently stands, need to do anything at all until very near to the end of 2020...

All suppliers are required to have offered their customers a smart meter for gas and electric by the end of 2020. When you'll get your meter depends on your supplier's current progress and ability to install meters in homes like yours.

By 2020 everyone in England, Scotland and Wales will have been offered smart meters by their suppliers for gas and electricity — this is part of a significant update to Britain's energy infrastructure at the request of the government.

uswitch.com
There is no dispute that smart meter acceptance is currently voluntary and will likely remain so for a number of years yet.

The reality is that smaller suppliers are generally less expensive and are currently less likely to aggressively push smart meters than the big six, the same big six who are avidly pushing smart meters with lies about danger to the life and limbs of your loved ones and veiled threats about supply intermittency because the dumb meter is no longer fit for purpose.

Cheers CL... I have been looking, preparatory to switching at the earliest possible opportunity.

Having a marked preference for the smaller energy resellers, primarily those (at least professing to be) providing only 'green' electricity, I have shortlisted a couple of possibles but I'll take a shufti at Bulb.

Scottish Power sent a lovely email yesterday asking for (closing) meter readings and telling us all about our beautiful future together... not a hint of how or when we can switch to a supplier that we have voluntarily chosen :D.
I've found Bulb to be straight-up, no nonsense. I think they'll also pay any penalty charges for switching. They were offering the same deal as the company Donny mentioned (if I refer you we both get £50) so if they're still running it and you want a 'referred by a friend' code let me know. I'm open to a deal if you need some of my £50, as long as I have some left to help a poor donkey in Africa :wink:

I've found Bulb to be straight-up, no nonsense. I think they'll also pay any penalty charges for switching. They were offering the same deal as the company Donny mentioned (if I refer you we both get £50) so if they're still running it and you want a 'referred by a friend' code let me know. I'm open to a deal if you need some of my £50, as long as I have some left to help a poor donkey in Africa :wink:
Call it 95 quid for me and 5 quid for the donkey then. I am generous like that and if I can help a donkey with your fiver then I'll feel that I have done something useful.

No thanks necessary. No, please... don't mention it.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I let Scottish Gas install a smart meter, god knows why. All seemed fine until about a year after the installation when they informed me the meter hadn't been working for the whole year, and so they had no idea how much I'd used as it was fucked to the extent that they couldn't even get a current read from it - completely borked.

So they said they'd charge .e based on an average usage, to which I told them to **** off - I'm not average, I'm a unique and valued individual.

Ended up a years free power after they backed down with a compliant to the Ombudsman. Then I switched to Ovo. Hah.

For my Aviemore place, I'll never get the meter changed. It's too much fun watching the disc nearly spin off its bearing when the hot tub and heaters kick in.
You can stop that with some old fashioned film negative

Latest Threads