Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
In spite of some ARRSErs attempting to derail this very interesting thread, just so they can loose off their infantile, boring and repetitive comments, I was wondering if folks are aware of a couple of websites that take all the hassle out of switching to better gas and leccy deals.
Energy switching as it should be. Join us to be on the best energy deals, hassle free, forever.

Look After My Bills

The former is a subscriber service (about which I know nothing), while the latter, LAMB, is the free service we use. I must admit that they've saved us quite a bit of dosh since we signed up at the end of last year. They do all the necessary and keep you informed at every step.

MsG

If you look around you can find some good suppliers in the dross. Mine has good prices, a UK call centre and they also pay you 3% or 5% interest on any money you have in your account depending on how long you've been with them.
Name please!

The former is a subscriber service (about which I know nothing), while the latter, LAMB, is the free service we use. I must admit that they've saved us quite a bit of dosh since we signed up at the end of last year.
I'd have thought such a rich and successful businessman like yourself wouldn't need to worry about the electricity bill.

I'm currently fixing up a house I've bought and, thanks to Chris Evans, listen to a lot of commercial radio while I work. As a result that annoying 'blonde' tart who was in Dinnerladies regularly tells me that if I get a smart meter I can bake lots of cakes and save energy for cities (quite why I want to give energy to cities isn't established) this is followed by the small print voiceover informing me that savings are based on me monitoring my usage, my home is at risk if I don't keep up payments and 49.9% APR is a great deal to be burdened with the debt of a feckless sod who cant get a loan at a more sensible rate as they default and will do again.

Anyhoo said property has pay as you go meters fitted (based on the DCA letters that were piled up behind the door, the previous tenant would clearly need a gullible amigo) so as I have to take a 'pikey stick' to the local Coop to get my 'leccy' I already know exactly how much I spend and when I attach the rads back on the wall I'll discover how much gas I'm not going to be using too.

So the wonderous savings a smart meter offer aren't too clear to me, unless of course its all based on magic and in which case just say so and I'll be more than happy with that answer...……...

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The whole smart meter stuff is a money saving exercise for the power companies. Simply, they don't have to send someone round to read your meter, or rely on your on-line readings. They will also be able to charge for energy depending on demand, so at 0700-0830 when everyone is getting showered, making breakfast etc, the price will go up.

How much will you save? SFA, especially if your family is like mine.

Our house is already insulated and fully double glazed, we have thermostats on all the radiators and all the lights have been swapped for LED or CFL. BTW, the original lights in our kitchen were 8x50W halogens, 2x25W halogens and another 50W of fluorescent lights total 500W or half a kW.

Currently we have 8x 5W LED and 10W LED under units plus 50W halogens in the cooker hood which we don't use very often. Ditto stairs had 350W of halogen power (2 floors), now total 30W LED.

However, SWMBO & kids do not believe on turning stuff off at the plug hence everything left on standby etc etc. SWMBO is forever turning the heating up to about 22C from my 19C default setting, and she will leave the bedroom window open to "air" the room, simultaneously leaving the radiator on and the bedroom door open.

I don't need a smart meter to tell me how to save energy, I just need a larger 3-space patio....
a useful tip
install a second thermostat in series with the main one, then lick it at your preffered setting
you can get some with covers on the front, used in schools and offices
also PIR sensors in rooms to turn light off in no one in
very effective especially in the loo

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm currently fixing up a house I've bought and, thanks to Chris Evans, listen to a lot of commercial radio while I work. As a result that annoying 'blonde' tart who was in Dinnerladies regularly tells me that if I get a smart meter I can bake lots of cakes and save energy for cities (quite why I want to give energy to cities isn't established) this is followed by the small print voiceover informing me that savings are based on me monitoring my usage, my home is at risk if I don't keep up payments and 49.9% APR is a great deal to be burdened with the debt of a feckless sod who cant get a loan at a more sensible rate as they default and will do again.

Anyhoo said property has pay as you go meters fitted (based on the DCA letters that were piled up behind the door, the previous tenant would clearly need a gullible amigo) so as I have to take a 'pikey stick' to the local Coop to get my 'leccy' I already know exactly how much I spend and when I attach the rads back on the wall I'll discover how much gas I'm not going to be using too.

So the wonderous savings a smart meter offer aren't too clear to me, unless of course its all based on magic and in which case just say so and I'll be more than happy with that answer...……...
you may well be paying a higher rate for your energy to cover the losses of the previous tenant

Prepayment users always pay more than direct debit users (Nothing to do with smart meters that's just the way it is).

You ******* little poor person.

Did a quick online quote. Currently I pay £68 a month dual fuel. They want £92...
I do a full check every time my fixed deal comes to an end. Last time they were about 20 quid dearer than the cheapest but their service is so good it wasn't worth the hassle of changing

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

you may well be paying a higher rate for your energy to cover the losses of the previous tenant
'pay as you go' tariffs were always higher back in the day. Not sure if it's still the case.

I do a full check every time my fixed deal comes to an end. Last time they were about 20 quid dearer than the cheapest but their service is so good it wasn't worth the hassle of changing

That's 20 quid a year not 20 quid a month!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My standing charge is now £110 a year [just gone up] They are getting
that money for doing f*ck all,
how much are they making just in the standing charge

Robbing Bastards
Well if we didnt have all these different energy companies springing up every five minutes with millions of pounds worth of advertising, and bearded idiots dreaming up new names and silly graphics then perhaps the costs would be lower, it always seemed to work OK when the local Electricity board ran the network and metering ( I was going to work for them when I retired )