Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
With regard to all this bother over how they are powered I will definitely not have one, then I'll have something to ponder for ever.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
NB the Smart Meters are ;free' which means that while Mrs May, who is not really a Conservative, is giving the utility companies a populist berating for their prices, she is still inflating those prices with overheads for the Smart Meters and goodness knows what-all else politically correct green energy stunts.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s the monitor and not the meter

I believe that electricity smart meters are powered from the mains that they are connected to and reading, whereas the gas smart meter runs on battery power
Now that would make sense. Can I get a smart meter for my oil tank;)
Infact I might ask them that, see if I get put on hold when the dim wit asks his or her manager.=-D

Now that would make sense. Can I get a smart meter for my oil tank;)
Infact I might ask them that, see if I get put on hold when the dim wit asks his or her manager.=-D
You can get oil tanks and LPG tanks that talk to the supplier when the level drops and arrange a delivery for you. Not a Smart Meter but better than forgetting to check the level on the telltale tube.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
You can get oil tanks and LPG tanks that talk to the supplier when the level drops and arrange a delivery for you. Not a Smart Meter but better than forgetting to check the level on the telltale tube.
The trouble with that is is that you are tied to one supplier. The one good thing with oil is that I only pay when it's delivered and I can shop around and play a few suppliers off each other.
I do have an electronic gauge which shows a reading but I always double check with a dip stick. I quite like oil, I thought it would be a pain in the neck but I like it, good job really not been connected to mains gas.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Which you can’t see through after a few years of sun damage and you gave to resort to a damp bamboo cane...
Not only that but if they break you can have a very big oil spill. I got rid of the old tank which came with the house and got a bunded tank, very secure and safe with regards to oil spills and should last at least twenty years, might even see me out.

I deal with smart meters and other types as part of my job. They now do smart prepayment ones where you present your card at a shop, pay the amount you want and the energy fairy tops up your meter before you have left the shop. Getting even more modern you can do it from your phone.
British Gas just dropped my monthly electricity payments by £8pm as I was using less than expected; all done automatically and no meter reader involved. My experience with a smart meter has only been positive.
I have a prepayment smart metre. I top up online (Eon) yes I pay a higher charge per unit etc and a standing charge on both my Electric & Gas. to date no problems even with a weak wifi signal. Only on one occasion I needed to put in a 16 digit code when the top up failed to reach my metre and display. I like the idea of no bills every 3,6,9,12 months and I have enough Direct Debits as it is. Plus I can monitor my usage and adjust where needed

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The trouble with that is is that you are tied to one supplier. The one good thing with oil is that I only pay when it's delivered and I can shop around and play a few suppliers off each other.
I do have an electronic gauge which shows a reading but I always double check with a dip stick. I quite like oil, I thought it would be a pain in the neck but I like it, good job really not been connected to mains gas.
I liked it in the 80s at 11p per litre. Not so much in the 90s at 23p. Good fun to play suppliers off against each other though.

NB the Smart Meters are ;free' which means that while Mrs May, who is not really a Conservative, is giving the utility companies a populist berating for their prices, she is still inflating those prices with overheads for the Smart Meters and goodness knows what-all else politically correct green energy stunts.
Being able to measure demand better ought to lead to savings from generating the supply more efficiently and, once fitted, you can save more by sacking loads of meter readers.

Doubtless you're right that the energy company directors will justify passing on the costs with the government (aka themselves or their mates) and trouser a few quid from the contract to supply and fit the things.

Instant final meter readings could make it quicker and simpler to switch suppliers or you could let suppliers fit their own versions and make them inaccessible to their competition.

It'll be interesting to see if people reduce their consumption as a result, I think we already know there'll be no reduction in supplier profits if they do, so we won't see the full potential incentive to save the planet.

Smart meters are subject to the same disconnection rules as ordinary meters

Energy supply disconnection and prepayment meter rules
That’s fine provided everything including the equipment is kosher. What happens when there is a difference of opinion of events such as faulty equipment giving false readings etc.

‘’Yes Mr Smith our smart meter is working perfectly and the reason your monthly bill has gone up from a hundred pounds per month to four hundred pounds per month is simply because you are using more energy.”

My friend changed supplier from British Gas last year. He’s in his seventies and religiously pays his bills every month as they come in but you wouldn’t believe the obstacles British Gas put in his way to try and stop him leaving. They simply lied and to be honest, without support from me, they would have worn him out until he just gave up and stopped trying to leave.

I’m in no way whatsoever convinced that energy suppliers wouldn’t take advantage of their ability to use a smart meter to pull the plug if it suited them.
What about those Rusky hackers, will they be subject to the regulations? How will you stop them making your freezer warmer than the snow on their boots?