Energy Smart meters to be fitted in every home

The governments' great new idea for this week is to fit smart meters in every home , that tell the consumer exactly how much energy they are consuming and at what cost , so they can make " an informed decision " whether to switch suppliers or not .
Why not make it even smarter , so that it's programmed to switch suppliers to the cheapest available on a daily basis ?
Then you'll see energy prices come tumbling down .

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs
It wouldn`t make any difference. People will still have their heating on come rain/snow or shine.

I personally adopt the snail view and put another jumper on.

It will cost asbout the same as it would to replace Trident alledgedly.

Or half an F-35.

We got one. Although it does tell whatever robbing twats how much we use, all it does is sit in the corner of the kitchen and, ironically, wastes electricity by giving a nice green glow at night.

The only benefit I can see is it lets the twats at British Gas know how much I'm actually using, rather than doubling my direct debit payments each winter just because it seems about right

We got one. Although it does tell whatever robbing twats how much we use, all it does is sit in the corner of the kitchen and, ironically, wastes electricity by giving a nice green glow at night.

The only benefit I can see is it lets the twats at British Gas know how much I'm actually using, rather than doubling my direct debit payments each winter just because it seems about right
I got £1300 back from them when the smart meters went in. Don't use the daft remote thing, it's in a drawer.

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not exactly liked then. I suppose it will take a few years for them to be desirable but so what, everything takes that long today.

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs

Put another jumper on! This is getting tiresome now - I`m off to Greece, feck you lot.

Not exactly liked then. I suppose it will take a few years for them to be desirable but so what, everything takes that long today.
I think mine is great tbh. One point about the costs that is being ignored is many meters were due for a change anyway. Installer told me they use a Vodafone sim card btw!

I did read some bits in the trade press about this (IT side that is) One point that stuck was that the method that the meters used to communicate with the supplier selected by HM Government was the method rejected by pretty much everyone else as a very bad idea.....

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I did read some bits in the trade press about this (IT side that is) One point that stuck was that the method that the meters used to communicate with the supplier selected by HM Government was the method rejected by pretty much everyone else as a very bad idea.....
You scratch my back etc.

Smart meters are only a precursor to variable rate charging - where the price of electricity is varied according to time of day/grid demand/season of the year/furriness of squirrels.

Giving the consumer real incentive not to run the washing machine (other heavy load appliances are available) at peak times, ie breakfast and dinner time.

So, to save money, get up early and boil the kettle, make toast etc at 0500. Simples!

Yes, I've read a few bits by people who know about these things, such as the IET. Haven't time to check now, but got the feeling the Govt. had chosen a system that wasn't the best.

Why these meters are necessary I don't know - wouldn't normal publicity persuade people to economise? And of course, the cost of the meters goes on your bill.