Energy gels

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tom9748, Dec 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im currently training for the Fan Dance race next month and the Paras 10 in March and up untill this point Ive never thought about energy gels etc,always been a good old water man.Im banging out a 10 miler with weight just within P Coy 10 miler timings however I feel totally empty by the end,not a physical wreck but literally empty of fuel to the point of light headed,dizzyness. Does anyone use any of these gels,water additives? Are they worth using? Which ones would people reccomend? I picked up a few today "SIS Isotonic Gel" soley because they were the only ones on the shelf in the shop,however any help on what types to use would be greatly appreciated from a middle aged man who still thinks he is a youngan!!!
  2. I've never used gels myself but from what I've read in things like Runners World and Triathlon 220 it seems to be down to trial and error to find the ones that work for you.
  3. A block of Kendal Mint Cake comes in handy.And plenty of water.
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Don't see the point for middle distance stuff, just eat sensibly for the few days before.

I'll come back after dinner ...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. be careful with them, some can cause adverse side effects such as bladder problems, sleep issues ect.
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

water is the best thirst quencher, cycling compounds work well for most activities and there is a sugar which mixes in and doesn't effect the thirst quenching ability of the water.

anything other than a simple sugars take forever to get into your system which is why all the energy drinks you have down the gym are just a waste of money as they pack you full of calories when you don't need them. as a cyclist in my youth I was taught to eat for tomorrow as you only store so many hours worth of energy in your system and it takes forever to replenish.

millions in development and they still cant replicate the rejuvinating powers of the humble banana and a glass of milk.

I tried the first type of gels back in the 90s and they looked like a sperm sample but tasted lemony - which was fortunate :)
    • Like Like x 2

7. Middle distance...pffft we cant all be fell running racing snakes you know....
  8. Some Harribo or a Mars bar could also be the answer, and a lot cheaper than energy gels without the potential side effects.
  9. 2 pints of Guiness and a bag of chips the night before.

If you want to go wild, make a trail mox up. Just buy lots of different nuts and dried fruit mix up and add some chocy M&Ms, jobs a jobber. if you really want to wn mix in some Es and whizz.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I wasnt too impressed by the price of what looks like orange flavoured gruel,also never thought of side effects with this type of stuff.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Cant help you son. But I do know the words Isotonic and Gel add up to cheap marketing ploy for me.

Your body, if you are pushing it, needs water, sugar (glucose - which gel is full of) and salt. And calories. Since stuffing a Soreen malt loaf in your gob when you are panting is maybe not an option, try this...

Off-the-shelf choc milk shake. Watered down 50% with tap water. Add a tablespoon of sugar and a good pinch of salt. Drink. You may need to alter the quantities of ingredients since your tummy absorbs by osmosis and all tummies are different.

Or neck a Mars Bar, drink a pint of cold water and man-up through the stomach cramps. Young people today, you know?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. That will cloud your judgement...Panthers or go on foot....Panthers or go on foot......hmmmm....
  13. You are Alf Tupper and I claim my years free supply of chip shop scraps.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Wot 'e said!

I never run anywhere these days (piss off, cutaway :) ). When I did me advanced EOD course they told us never to run at a bomb site as people might think something had gone horribly wrong. But when I did do running, I found that mulberry juice 50/50 with ordinary water and a pinch of salt did the trick. Mind you that was way back in the last century.