Energy Efficency Surveys Wanted across england and Wales

Discussion in 'Jobs Offered' started by pacman0576, Oct 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    i work for a company based in the midlands well nr Notts and Derby we carry out work for the energy efficency market and Solar Industry
    Solar is a new to the UK and with goverment grants make it more affordable
    We are looking to train people from all walks of the Military to carry out surveys
    full training is given we alsohold a 4 week resettlement for those who want to make this new product a career and take energy efficency to a new level covering cavity wall,loft, boiler,solarPV Solar Thermal surveys and other energy saving products
    for more infomation
    the email i sent my cv to is hope this helps
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just out of interest does this have anything to do with the Energy Performance Certificate part of the Home Information Packs? If it is I might know a man who may be interested.
  3. it has a link to this but this gov has kicked HIPs in to touch also they could not conduct a survey as it is a conflict of interest
    this teaches you to carry out a full home energy survey of a property also this is then installed by a Insulation company from a list of our approve installers
    we have many ex HIPs guys on our books
    I think HIPs was a bad idea by the last govermentas it did not work and many paid for course that lead no where
  4. Ahh and the website is?
  5. pacman, err is that your e mail address?
  6. Ravers

Just out of interest how does the product differ from an EPC and can your survey be used in place of an EPC when selling a property? If not what's the point of it? Is it just a flash way of selling loft insulation?
  7. So it's all a scam then?
  8. Ravers

It looks like it's one of those companies who offer a 'free' Energy Survey which is not accredited or recognised by anyone but themselves. On the basis of the survey they then move in with the hard sell promising all sorts of savings with magical solar panels. In reality the panels are extremely pricey and take years before the cost is outweighed by the savings.

They probably get their assessors to pay loads of cash towards their 'qualifications' which they need to carry out the courses.

I may have completely the wrong end of the stick, but unless they are an accredited training centre, offering a diploma in domestic energy assessment, then in it appears dodge to me and I would stay well clear.
  9. Aye, and there are good govt. schemes on solar panels and you can sell back to the grid what you don't use. Some companies fit them for 'free' but in reality are keeping the subsidy.
  10. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

having worked up till Feb this year as a manager of a call centre booking clients for government insulation grants , I can see where this surveying is coming from. We all but closed down owing to the total lack of folks wanting totally Free insulation, that and the fact that the govt Subsidies for the people to had to pay part of the cost were all over the place . We were trying to get part payers to pay near as dammit the same cost as ordinary gas and electric installers . So we had to call it a day almost . the story is that you have to get say 5 free grants to 10 part pay grants. Three years ago one operator could get 20 odd leads a day From about this time last year to Jan we were lucky if the operators could get 4 or 5 a day , making it uneconomical to continue as such .
    So the boss went out surveying ( measuring up the loft / walls ) on the leads that three or four staff gave him.

I wont go into it too far as i got slagged off two years ago when i tole folks what i was doing for a living then ..

The point of Solar power today is that is costs a lot to put in takes years to recover your outlay and the subsidy the last time i looked was a whopping £ 400. on a £7 grand install. Looking at home windmills to power the house and sell the juice back to the leccky company was also fought with danger . Some of these bloody windmills cost MORE to run than the energy they produce .

You really have to do your home work before doing this ... as for the bloke offering the job... I 'll give it a go mate providing its not as self employed agent for you .Send me a PM if you would be so kind .

It is a fast moving industry so things will have changed , but I am not sure if the Tories were really happy with the Warm Front programe or that they will continue to subsidise the free grants to the old and infirm much longer . have now applied for this free solar panel installation as on the face of it it's a good scheme an i dont got 12k meself. Will keep you all posted .
  11. Ravers
    just to let you know:
    The EPC is a certificate issued after a survey that informs the homeowner of the energy rating of their house (much like the little stickers on electrical goodies). They take into account age of house, energy saving light bulbs, heat loss perimeter, glazing, building regs and a whole host of other items... the output is an energy rating and a suggestion on what could be done to improve your rating - anything from turbines to photo-voltaic cells.

The above offer would contradict that as they are offering the suggestions and to do an EPC survey would create the aforementioned conflict .

i know of a company that provides EPCs at a reasonable rate in the south of England around the wiltshire/hampshire area, PM me for details if this could be of use?
    hope this helps
  12. Ravers

I realise what an EPC is mate, I wasted a year of my life producing them, I just can't see how you need to do a 4 week course in order to produce the 'surveys' the OP is talking about. Unless the surveys are recognised by a National body and the lads doing the course get an accredited qualification out of it, then it's really no more than a 4 week induction to work for a building company as a salesman. To offer this as resettlement and take people's money for it is pretty out of order.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I could be completely wrong but until proven otherwise, I'll steer well clear and recommend others to do likewise.
  13. Couldn't agree more Ravers, the only people I would trust to do this sort of thing should have RICS after their name, and that isn't a 4 week course. The RICS were the one's who called the HIP's package a load of bollox at it's inception.
  14. My bold, no it isn't! I remember people having this installed in the 70's!...There's also been spate of roof fires, caused by dodgy installations of solar panels over here.