Enemy Within

#1
Just to add further to the three deaths last week:

Australians wounded in Afghanistan shooting - Department of Defence

Australians wounded in Afghanistan shooting
09 November 2011
Three Australian soldiers were seriously wounded and two of their Afghan partners sustained minor wounds when an Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier opened fire with an automatic weapon and a grenade launcher in eastern Uruzgan on Tuesday, 8 November 2011 (local Afghan time).

The soldiers were members of Mentoring Task Force -3 (MTF-3), operating with their Afghan partners at a patrol base in the Charmestan region, north-east of Tarin Kot.

The five wounded soldiers were treated at the scene then aero medically evacuated to hospital at Multi National Base – Tarin Kot.

The three Australians were subsequently transferred to the ISAF Role 3 medical facility at Kandahar Airfield for emergency treatment.

The Chief of the Defence Force, General David Hurley said the three Australian soldiers remained in a serious condition.

“The wounded soldiers’ families have now been informed and Defence is working to support them.
“Assisting the families is always our highest priority following the treatment and care of the wounded,” General Hurley said.

The two Afghan soldiers are listed as satisfactory.

The offending ANA soldier, who was a member of the 3rd Kandak, fled in an ANA vehicle.

He was pursued by ANA members at the patrol base and an operation is under way to apprehend him.

“Immediately following the incident Brigadier General Mohammed Zafar Khan ordered that members of the 3rd Kandak at Patrol Base Nasir be disarmed and confined to barracks,” General Hurley said.

MTF personnel from a nearby patrol base have moved forward to Patrol Base Nasir to provide security and overwatch.

“At this time the motive for the shooting is unknown,” General Hurley said.
Combined Australian and Afghan investigations into the incident are now under way.
Background to this post:

Three Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Department of Defence

Three Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
31 October 2011

It is with deep regret that the Australian Defence Force confirms that Captain Bryce Duffy, Corporal Ashley Birt and Lance Corporal Luke Gavin were killed on Operations in Afghanistan on 29 October 2011.
Seven soldiers were also wounded when a member of the Afghan National Army opened fire with an automatic weapon.
The families of Captain Duffy, Corporal Birt, Lance Corporal Gavin and the wounded soldiers are currently receiving support from the Australian Defence Organisation.
Planning for the repatriation of the fallen Australian soldiers has begun although the date for their return to Australia has not yet been confirmed.
The families have requested their privacy be respected during this difficult time.
 
#2
Thoughts and nothing but good wishes to the living and prayers said for the ones who have gone on ahead.

Can the ANA ever be truly trusted? Two similar incidents within 10 days of each other.

Report from 09 November - “Immediately following the incident Brigadier General Mohammed Zafar Khan ordered that members of the 3rd Kandak at Patrol Base Nasir be disarmed and confined to barracks,” General Hurley said.

Why wasn't this done after the first incident?
 
G

goatrutar

Guest
#3
I think some were disarmed after the first incident. One has to wonder how often this will happen and is it happening in other parts of Afghan?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top