Enduro Riding in the UK

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by kiwi1938, Jan 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I think this is the right place.

    I have a question for anyone who rides dirt bikes/motor x bikes.

    Where I live (new zealand) we have things called trail rides, which I guess is like a fun enduro ride where you pay some money and can do a days riding, on a farm or in a forest, which is non competitive.

    Do they have anything similar in the UK?
    Or do you have to do competitive Enduro/motor X to ride off road?

    I hope someone know what I'm talking about.
  2. Were are you looking for? I'll ask a mate who does it. Theres a few places you can go if you've got your own bike not sure about turning up at a place and hiring a bike
  3. Well im considering moving to the UK.

    If they had places that you could ride yes I'd own my own bike.
    I guess I want to know if theres any places you can ride offroad with out having to compete.
  4. Mav

    Mav Old-Salt

    There's a bunch here in the UK - both public routes you ca ride, enduro tracks, and off-road schools based on using your bike or hiring theirs. Their is also a pretty good racing scene here, including MX, enduro and long distance rallies.

    Compared to some countries - we have one issue: certain tracks are restricted and can't be used motor vehicles so you need to have a map to show you which tracks you can legally ride.

    Does that answer your question?
  5. Anywhere there's "GreenLane" theres miles of it all over the country, just farmers/ramblers/tree huggers get all upity when they see you on it. North Wales is covered in them I've seen people threatening to call police etc on perfectly legal roads, just do a bit of research and follow the map and all will be fine.
  6. Greenlaning or trail riding is quite popular here in the UK except as LLech said with the "bobble" hat brigade (Ramblers), some Farmers (especially the cnut in Norfolk who dug a trench across a Byway that I didn't see until too late that led me into doing a passable superman impression, that is until by bike landed on me.).

    Here's a few tips! your bike must be fully road legal to ride on Green lanes ( Basic RoW Guide ), BOAT's, & unclassified roads (even if you trailer it to wherever your start point is) as they are classed as public carriageways no differently to a tarmac A, B or C class road.

    Join The TRF (Trail Riding Fellowship, Welcome to the TRF ) Even better if there is a local group and they'll show you the ropes.

    Trail Bike Magazine is a good read and they often (or use to!) ride a route and do a write up complete with route and Grid References ( did the Millennium Trail in the Berwyn Mountains in the Welsh Borders a few years ago,great ride,good scenery but chin strapped at the end of the day!!LoL).

    If you want to compete in enduros there are Quiet a few ( Breckland, Natterjack and Rhydder to name some of the big ones) and Clubs ( Like The Trail Bike Enduro Club, TBEC Welcome to TBEC - Trail Bike Enduro Club) that organise Enduros some of whom will allow you to compete as a Day member. Any way check out the links and happy trails!
  7. Thanks guys, that's heaps of help!

    I was in the UK last year and I could never find anything to do with Motorbikes. Tonnes of stuff for horse riders though!
  8. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    Make friends with some land owners. I regularly ride in two disused quarries and some top fun is to be had. Also most moto x tracks let you turn up and play for a fee.
  9. Just google greenlaning - Green Lane Association Ltd. - Home or tailor it to where your thinking of going. Loads of groups in the UK.
  10. I've been looking up greenlaning and it looks great?
    So for the likes of greenlaning, do people join a group in the area they live or do they just get some mates and go out riding?

    Is it possible to get 2 strokes road legal in the UK? I never saw any in the videos I watched.
  11. What bike are you looking at Kiwi? There are plenty of road legal 2T trail bikes. That is the easiest approach, but you can also get Enduro or even Moto X bikes that will pass a daylight running MOT.
    For greenlaning you do need a fully road legal bike, road licence and MOT.
  12. Probably a 300exc KTM, or possibly a 300 GasGas (thats what I've got now).

    By the sounds of it the licencing rules with the MOT, is a lot different thant over here.
    What sort of yearly cost are you looking at for a greenlaning suitable bike?
  13. Mav

    Mav Old-Salt

    30 pounds for the annual inspection (MOT), 74 pounds for tax, and maybe a couple hundred pounds for insurance. And then money for tyres and fuel ;)

    Certainly a 300 is a whole lot of fun but not so much if you want to go some distance to get to the lanes which you might need to consider based on where you live. A number of people ride bigger bikes like 600 and above so they can ride to the trails. There is something rewarding taking a bike down (or up!) some tracks that you really shouldn't be able to...

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EQXuR0Mp5zA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[video=youtube_share;EQXuR0Mp5zA]http://youtu.be/EQXuR0Mp5zA[/video]
  14. Kiwi, get yourself over to here -

    KTM Forum

    loads of info (On a crappy computer at work so can't post links properly)
    I'm looking at doing a few days out with Wor Events this year. Buy your 'number' for about £50 then pick and choose which days you want to attend. You can be as competitive as you want to be

    Similar to Wor events