End of the line for model trains?

PFGEN

GCM
Right I've found a way. So top is the contrast between Triang/ hornby and Hornby style coronation classes.

Beneath is the set I picked up.
Nice set. I have the Golden Fleece but don't have the Talisman coaches. Was hoping the A4 would be worth a bit of money these days. I guess if you're picking them up for 60 quid I'm going to have to wait a while.

Nice set. I have the Golden Fleece but don't have the Talisman coaches. Was hoping the A4 would be worth a bit of money these days. I guess if you're picking them up for 60 quid I'm going to have to wait a while.
That was a bit of luck, they appear to be going North of it and some of the Wrenn locos appear to be astronomical. Interestingly what seems to have sunk Dublo was running Two and three rail side by side, because of the costs involved with conversion.

PFGEN

GCM
That was a bit of luck, they appear to be going North of it and some of the Wrenn locos appear to be astronomical. Interestingly what seems to have sunk Dublo was running Two and three rail side by side, because of the costs involved with conversion.
Mine was a two rail version. When we had a train set at home it was by far my favourite loc.

Mine was a two rail version. When we had a train set at home it was by far my favourite loc.
Dad was a huge railway fan and we wound up a bit Partisan. He even bought me a copy of the railway exchanges of 1948 later on in life. Being a service Corps man himself He was heavily into anything that moved. He was Western and LNER and I sort of went LMS.
I‘ve just written a little tract on whether we should have phased out steam far earlier, because (we could have, we had the technology) and it’s not a comfortable read, which I was going to post, but haven’t got round to.
But that thing about rose coloured Glasses obscures the fact that we Brits were very badly served in terms of choice By the industry.

incidentally there are two talisman sets nos 2014 and 2015, the latter had the blood and custards the former the BR maroon. The 13th edition Dublo catalogue which I have in the collection is subsequent to July 1961 in which a Purchase tax surcharge was added, That's 4 days before my 10th Birthday. But in that Catalogue only 1 coach is shown in B/C . That means that the set must be post 1961

^ That is what I'd aspire to, but I'm not about to do too much permanence. Son no 1 is staying with us until he finishes his uni course and after which he has given his word that he will move out and vacate my loft space. It's a race against time whether I will make it. :mrgreen:

Published by: Horby themselves, on the inter-web . . .
LNER 'Sir Nigel Gresley' Train Set, Centenary Year Limited Edition - 1938
Description

By the 1930s Frank Hornby’s ‘0’ Gauge train system had grown considerably both in the large number of items available and in popularity but new houses were by that time being built smaller than they had been previously and consequently limiting the space available for amongst other things an ‘0’ Gauge train layout. Consequently, such restriction on space had an influence on the sales of Hornby’s ‘0’ Gauge trains.

In mainline Europe a smaller gauge was being developed which was half the size of ‘0’. This new scale was aptly classified as ‘H0’ as it was half the size of the ‘0’ Gauge models.

Faced with this potential competition, the Meccano Board in 1937 decided to introduce their own system but due to scale versus mechanical size restrictions they could not quite produce an ‘H0’ system but opted for a slightly larger scale which was given the name ‘Dublo’ by Meccano’s Commercial Director. The Hornby Dublo scale used more or less the same wheel back to back measurements of the ‘H0’ system but generally speaking all other dimensions were increased by 0.5mm.

By 1938 the first adverts started to appear promoting the new Hornby Dublo system. Two locomotives were initially produced one of which was a generic 0-6-2 freight model and available with GWR, LNER, LMS or SR markings while the other featured the LNER Class A4, ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’. These two locomotives were available with either a clockwork mechanism or a 12vDC motor and both featured in individual train sets where they shared a common pack.

This celebratory set goes some way to replicating the first Hornby Dublo 1938 passenger train set. The stunning and heavily detailed LNER Class A4, ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’ illustrates how the design and scale integrity of model production has developed over the years. Similarly, the Gresley teak effect coaches that are of a different type to those produced in 1938 show the amazing advances in model production since the launch of Hornby Dublo’s 1938 train sets.
This limited edition of 1000 Hornby Dublo ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’ train set forms part of the Hornby Trains Centenary group of products and celebrates the 1930s decade by using artwork inspired by the Hornby Dublo packaging style of that period. Included with each set and as authentication is a numbered certificate confirming the quantity of limited edition sets produced.

Set Contents:

ROLLING STOCK
- LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 4498 ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’
- LNER 61’ 6” Gresley Corridor Third, 1434
- LNER 61’ 6” Gresley Corridor Composite Brake, 58700

TRACK & ACCESSORIES
- 3rd Radius Oval
- Train Controller (R7229)
- Wall Plug Transformer (P9000W)
- Power Connecting Track (R8206)
- Rerailer

1594300317153.png

Published by: Horby themselves, on the inter-web . . .
LNER 'Sir Nigel Gresley' Train Set, Centenary Year Limited Edition - 1938

This limited edition of 1000 Hornby Dublo ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’ train set forms part of the Hornby Trains Centenary group of products and celebrates the 1930s decade by using artwork inspired by the Hornby Dublo packaging style of that period. Included with each set and as authentication is a numbered certificate confirming the quantity of limited edition sets produced.

Set Contents:

ROLLING STOCK
- LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 4498 ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’
- LNER 61’ 6” Gresley Corridor Third, 1434
- LNER 61’ 6” Gresley Corridor Composite Brake, 58700

TRACK & ACCESSORIES
- 3rd Radius Oval
- Train Controller (R7229)
- Wall Plug Transformer (P9000W)
- Power Connecting Track (R8206)
- Rerailer

View attachment 488315
I did see that but wondered about it’s originality. Note the track displayed on the box which they didn’t have until the mid fifties, plus it ain’t 2038. But I was certainly intrigued. I have the book of the literature which I picked up for peanuts yonks ago. The actual box design didn’t appear until 1940. The track appears retouched. I wonder how much the original sets would go for now

RBMK

War Hero
Some of the best water on a model railway I've seen in ages.

How did you get the effect?

Some of the best water on a model railway I've seen in ages.

How did you get the effect?
I first did the water about a year ago.
Greenish grey paint & then several layers of pva that dries clear to give depth & then three coats of high gloss polyurethane varnish. I ended up with a surface that just looked too smooth.
So I then painted over that with a mix of revell green & blue matt enamel, dabbed some pva on with a small brush to give more of a rippled surface, allowed to dry & again, three coats of high gloss varnish.
As it's supposed to be a fictional lake in the lake district, I looked at several pictures of Windemere to get the right colour & surface effect.

Despite the power of t’interweb, there is nothing like a good old model shop. As I’m visiting Mum I popped into the one in Northampton. I needed a Metcalf card kit (passenger foot bridge). Also picked up three used goods wagons for £3.50 a pop, two Dapol coach light strips for the HST set aaaaaand...asking if they had a BR blue Deltic out back as there wasn’t one on display, he found a used one that had just come in. Boxed, full working order, missing one coupling. £60 to you, Sir. Against a current new price of £110 plus. I have a spare decoder and this month’s overtime should see to the rake.
ETA. The loco is 55005, The Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire, which must be up there for a shot at “Longest train name ever on BR”

Last edited:
Despite the power of t’interweb, there is nothing like a good old model shop. As I’m visiting Mum I popped into the one in Northampton. I needed a Metcalf card kit (passenger foot bridge). Also picked up three used goods wagons for £3.50 a pop, two Dapol coach light strips for the HST set aaaaaand...asking if they had a BR blue Deltic out back as there wasn’t one on display, he found a used one that had just come in. Boxed, full working order, missing one coupling. £60 to you, Sir. Against a current new price of £110 plus. I have a spare decoder and this month’s overtime should see to the rake.
ETA. The loco is 55005, The Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire, which must be up there for a shot at “Longest train name ever on BR”
Although the online giants have a bigger selection, you get to see what you're buying before you part with your hard earned.
My reasonably local model railway shop is owned by a woman who is a true enthusiast.
She will equal an online price the majority of the time & although she has a huge selection, can order anything she hasn't got normally for the following week.

joey88

Old-Salt
My local model shop was excellent during lock down, anything ordered was delivered personally within a day or two.
I have been going there for years and always try to support a local business.
He obviously can not compete with online for the range of products but you can't beat going into an old style model shop and browsing.
However at the moment only one person is allowed in at a time so it's a case of go in, buy and leave so other customers can get in.

Talking of which, I had started a project that requires scale drivers. Anyone any Idea who still does Romford. Peters spares can’t help and I’m told that Romford went down the tubes some time ago.

Currently in Exmouth on holiday. Hoping to get my annual trip to Colletts Model Shop :)

The Deltic runs fine. The missing coupling was in the box and just requires me to refit it. It's currently hauling a 2 coach Pullman special as those are the only two coaches that are not allocated elsewhere. My 4MT will be huking the local freight I picked up and some more I have coming from fleabay. Need to finish the station off as well. Busy, busy,busy.

AECFB861-8A82-4892-87DF-50939F6D2487.jpeg

Devex Junction showing the station, footbridge and stock

E2A the bridge is a bit wonky, being a pig’s orphan of a kit so it may get replaced by a ready made one or I may just say fuggit, Rule 1 applies!

The plan is for Platform 1 to end at the start of a tunnel

Last edited:
Bachmann are releasing a R2R four car set of 1938 tube stock in 00 gauge for a RRP of £349.95.

£349.95???........ and it will still have been knocked out by China.

I've bought cars for less than that.

Latest Threads