End of the line for model trains?

I was going to ask whether the long siding to the left/lower was supposed to connect the right hand line through the station, but then I realized that would yet further complicate the wiring of the reverse loops.

That thing must be a beast underneath to wire the (interconnected) reverse loops. Bravo!
Looking at it, there is a quarter-circle missing of the outer track, bottom loop . . . between 3 and 6 O'clock . . . such are the raviges(?) of 30 years :( .

Not difficult . . . ;) .

Basically, a twin track oval, controlled with a "Duo" (?) control box. I/we/my son, habitually used the two most outer tracks, through the station, adding interest as the trains changed lines over the points.

I would advise everyone to AVOID standard radius points. They are too tight, and will de-rail everything with a six-wheel, long wheelbase, bogie . . . tenders, mail vans, tank engines, etc.

You had/have, to be on the inner oval to use the "S" reverse direction, in the middle of the layout. You will see a little switch adjacent to the line half way along, just on the "grass", near the road. For me/us it was manual, but I'm sure it could have been wired to a remote switch, next to the controller. When working, it was covered with an old, demounted, van body . . . as a workmans' store/shed ;) .

Edit: That is all on a standard 8' X 4' piece of 1/2" five-ply board, with 18" chopped of one end, so it could be stored against the lounge wall, behind full depth/height curtains. I should have mounted it on a 2" x 2" perimeter frame, as it has (inevitably) bowed a little over the years :( .

Last edited:
I've just ordered a couple of coaches from Hattons to bring my Mallard rake into synch. As such I will have a mishmash collection of various coaches available - I'll put a picture up and anyone who wants to pay for the delivery can have them - I would list them as 'spares or repairs' as only two have regularly featured passing through Devex Junction. I might get round to ordering some more track this week as well.
I’ve just ordered and received a rake of Thompson Teaks from the 1970’s which are in fairly good order. Got them for £6 a coach . In terms of spares I’m finding the service sheets from Hornby which are on line, then get them from Peters Spares.

For my birthday present this year it has to be 2*153s
For Christmas, thinking PECO track and points

Next year, a Gaugemaster or two
Getting there.

As mentioned earlier "Steve" ain't me!!
I just publish his work for the interest of those watching this thread
;) .

Published by: Steve, on 10 April 2020.

That is Steve of . . . . . Steve's 009 and 09 Adventure

"My family tell me I’m good at making a mess. So adding some clutter to the yard of the engineering works on Thomas and Sons shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ve made some progress. There are lots of nice new packing cases emerging from the workshops and a workman having a tea break. Hmmm very British. His twin brother is one of the loco drivers, but the twin is more industrious, there’s no cup of tea in his hand!" . . . .

1586513092131.png

Last edited:

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
My previous 009 layout. Now mostly retired from the exhibition circuit.
6mm ply on 2x1" frame. Overall dimensions 3'6" x 2'6"
IMG_0883a.jpg
IMG_0644e.JPG

Where did that pot of glue come from?

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Possibly to glue the roof on the loco on the right which has come loose (white metal kit of Ffestiniog Harlech Castle)

The loco on the left is a RNAD Baguely Drewery. The one in the middle is a freelance 3D print.

;) .

Published by: Steve, on Saturday 18 April 2020.

Oxy-acetylene, Mustard and Bicycles

Work to add detail to the yard of the engineering works is continuing and I’ve created an oxy-acetylene welding trolley and an bicycle. Both of these are S&D Models kits.

The welding trolley was a lot of fun to assemble. There were several small pieces and the only way to do it was to join a couple of pieces, wait for the glue to dry and repeat the process with the next piece. Seeing the model come together in small steps over a few days was very satisfying.

There’s an old saying that mustard manufacturers didn’t make their profits from the mustard you eat, their profits came from the mustard left on your plate at the end of the meal. Mixing small amounts of epoxy glue always reminds me of this joke. When gluing small objects together, I find it impossible to dispense tiny amounts of Araldite from the tubes. I am always take more than I need and throw the majority of the glue away. I’m sure Araldite make their profits from the glue I throw away . . . .

1587293651001.png

;) .

Published by: Steve, on Saturday 18 April 2020.

Oxy-acetylene, Mustard and Bicycles

Work to add detail to the yard of the engineering works is continuing and I’ve created an oxy-acetylene welding trolley and an bicycle. Both of these are S&D Models kits.

The welding trolley was a lot of fun to assemble. There were several small pieces and the only way to do it was to join a couple of pieces, wait for the glue to dry and repeat the process with the next piece. Seeing the model come together in small steps over a few days was very satisfying.

There’s an old saying that mustard manufacturers didn’t make their profits from the mustard you eat, their profits came from the mustard left on your plate at the end of the meal. Mixing small amounts of epoxy glue always reminds me of this joke. When gluing small objects together, I find it impossible to dispense tiny amounts of Araldite from the tubes. I am always take more than I need and throw the majority of the glue away. I’m sure Araldite make their profits from the glue I throw away . . . .

View attachment 466995

Such wise words about both Mustard and epoxy glue. Its impossible to mix just the correct amount.

Question for you all, been watching something on U tube. Traction tyres. I think it’s marks Trains. Bear in mind only one of my locos is much under 30 years old and the Majority are well over fifty, but I have traction tyres on the two coronations . The Chassis have the cut out for the xo4/03 motors. What are people’s thoughts on traction tyres?

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
They age and rot and fall off or else go lumpy and weld themselves to the wheel. Absolute buggers to replace assuming that you can get replacements.

I recall replacing some tyres on some Lima Wrenn N gauge locos with float caps (little elastic bands that fishermen use).

These days I avoid any chassis that uses rubber traction tyres.

ETA that Peters spares does have replacement tyres for a range of locos and Hornby ones are available direct from Mr Hornby.

The down side is for steam locos you need to take the coupling rods off

Last edited:
They age and rot and fall off or else go lumpy and weld themselves to the wheel. Absolute buggers to replace assuming that you can get replacements.

I recall replacing some tyres on some Lima Wrenn N gauge locos with float caps (little elastic bands that fishermen use).

These days I avoid any chassis that uses rubber traction tyres.

ETA that Peters spares does have replacement tyres for a range of locos and Hornby ones are available direct from Mr Hornby.

The down side is for steam locos you need to take the coupling rods off
I’ve just had to replace some on the tender drive of one of the coronations. They are annoying. That’s why I’m contemplating changing the models to body drive and adding some weight, but that means a new tender assembly

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Tricky one as you'll need to dismantle the axle to get a worm gear on. Probably easier to replace the tender wheels with some non-traction tyred ones and add some weight to the tender.

I use lead flashing left over from an old roofing job for my models.

Could anyone identify this model of the Flying Scotsman ? Would would have powered it and are there restorers of this type of model. At a guess it is just pre Second World War.
Many thanks.
20200419_163230_compress81.jpg
20200419_163219_compress73.jpg
20200419_163146_compress75.jpg
20200419_163128_compress55.jpg

Robme

LE
I've seen a couple of sub-Aqua clubs roll over for that very reason. They're good at getting new members into the pool, and getting a year or two's subscription money out of them, but lose interest in helping them complete their training. The student diver is generally made to feel unwelcome, as a novice diver on the club boat means, to the old guard, that they won't get to do a deep dive. What these old fossils don't get is that clubs are a dying breed and need to be carefully looked after.
I have dived for years, cross trained BSAC as well as PADI, dive leader and equivalent in both disciplines.
About 10 years ago expressed a desire to join my mates club, so turned up and took part, however they soon made clear they didn’t need anybody with a disability. And wouldn’t up my membership from guest to Member. Unfortunately for the club they had obtained their grant for their rib from Sport England, and one-of the rules of the grant, was inclusivity. Neve seem a club move so fast when SE enquired why they were discriminating, First years Membership would be free as well as all my air fills, sad barstewards. Told them to shove it never did find out if they had to sell the rib to repay their grant.

Robme

LE
What is the gauge/scale of the DB BR265, excellent detailing. I was at the Model Railway Shop in Kolbenz a short while ago and had my eye on a G gauge (Garden railway) DEUTZ V36, 360hp and the DB BR 215-218 class amongst others. Lots of euro's each.

Long haired CO said no as you have already 'played' with the real ones!!!!
Have you seen what they have done with Aryshire Bks these days. Home of 79 Railway Sqn if my brain cells haven't fogged up to much.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Could anyone identify this model of the Flying Scotsman ? Would would have powered it and are there restorers of this type of model. At a guess it is just pre Second World War.
Many thanks.
View attachment 467066View attachment 467067View attachment 467068View attachment 467069
It's almost certainly a Bassett-Lowke dating from the 1930s

Shame it's not mint boxed....

It's almost certainly a Bassett-Lowke dating from the 1930s

Shame it's not mint boxed....
A shame indeed. Many thanks for your reply.