End of the line for model trains?

No problem.
Murky coloured enamel paint, greens or browns for the lake/ river bed.
As many layers of pva as you want applied fairly thickly with a brush avoiding creating bubbles. I think I used four or five. Wickes weatherproof pva as I know it dries clear & it'll also dry with a rippled surface.
Apply it neat, don't be tempted to water it down, it just makes it more difficult & leave a couple of days between coats.
Use polyurethane varnish to give a shine. Apply three thick coats. To avoid brush marks on the finaI coat, I dolloped it on.
Don't use water based varnish, it'll strip the pva.
When all dry, coat the bank with neat pva & scatter Woodland Scenics fine turf earth & then carefully apply 50/50 mix pva & water on top of the scatter, try not to let it run onto the varnish.
What I like about this method is that it's cheap, dries rock hard, it's hard wearing & can be easily cleaned. But you could probably leave out the pva (although it adds depth) & just use the varnish. Most of the expensive water effects will soften in hot weather, will attract dust & are quite expensive.
Dad used a similar method on his WW1 dioramas. He just layered varnish and paint, he would have been so impressed with your water.

Just ordered a Blue and Grey HST from Hattons, pre owned with DCC fitted. Came up on my 'watch list'. Thankfully I pulled some bank holiday overtime so it won't drive me to penury. Comes with two coaches Mk3 2nd Guard and Buffet and I've added two more seconds and a first. Pics to follow.

I would also have ordered the scrotes to meet the club members face to face and hear how much hurt they have caused. The good thing is that the money donated is helping to set up a group that helps youths by getting them into modelling (rail not glamour)
Peterborough chavs in action again,

This is a product I've found that I really like.
Flexible dry stone walling made from dense foam rubber. Ready painted but would benefit from some weathering.
Available from Osborne models in Devon.
Each pack costs about £9 for 2' & includes a wooden farm gate.
You can see how flexible it is.
Most model dry stone walling is made from hard plastic & obviously can't bend or be glued onto undulating terrain.

Attachments

Last edited:
Flexible dry stone walling made from dense foam rubber. Already painted but would benefit from some weathering.
Each pack includes a wooden farm gate.
What scales is it available in?

If anyone is tempted to watch The Great Model Railway Challenge on Channel 5, don't waste your time.

It's just weird.
I made the mistake of downloading those from a well known website.
The first one I watched SE2E1 was utter dog toffee and I deleted all the rest. It started with a theme of 'Environmental Disasters' and had woke all over it. One of the teams did an anti-fracking scene.
BBC bullshiit, writ high.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Flexible dry stone walling made from dense foam rubber. Ready painted but would benefit from some weathering.
Each pack costs about £9 for 2' & includes a wooden farm gate.
Most model dry stone walling is made from hard plastic & obviously can't bend or be glued onto undulating terrain.
railway - 29.jpg

An excellent website for interesting parts is this one:
Scale model railway electrics, craft and hobby tools and card models | Railwayscenics. If you sign up for their newsletter, you'll receive a humorous e-mail from the owner of the business every week which has plenty of information and new parts.

I made the mistake of downloading those from a well known website.
The first one I watched SE2E1 was utter dog toffee and I deleted all the rest. It started with a theme of 'Environmental Disasters' and had woke all over it. One of the teams did an anti-fracking scene.
BBC bullshiit, writ high.
They seem to use a lot of resin whatever that is made of and spray paints, I wonder what the propellants are and if they have COSHH assessments for them?

When I get round to putting figures on my layout I plan on a couple shagging in the bushes in the churchyard, a bloke having a shit in the corner, two squaddies fighting in the pub car park and a flasher on the platform
Don’t forget the pigeon shouter & ‘homeless’ beggars outside the front door.

When I get round to putting figures on my layout I plan on a couple shagging in the bushes in the churchyard, a bloke having a shit in the corner, two squaddies fighting in the pub car park and a flasher on the platform
One of the German companies does X-rated figures. HO, though, so things will seem smaller.

Funny, they seemed larger in A5 pamphlets my Soldiers had...

Latest Threads