End of the line for model trains?

A few more of current work. The Tin Tabernacle finally in place:

6032B2A9-8E09-454D-9FAA-BEF89BA10636.jpeg

These are illuminated. I hate soldering, & there was language. Even more so when I broke the light on the chapel while weighting it down...
1BAF07BB-7570-4C84-AC92-59FA339AD526.jpeg
7B733EBB-397F-4A2D-9CA1-E63F0F22E61A.jpeg

They appear to be opening the Ark of the Covenant in the chapel, no idea about the cottages. Some light proofing required...

My best mate had to give up golf due to injury a couple of years ago so I thought I'd take up model railways after a forty odd year break.

I'm currently in the process of building a 1970's 00 gauge servicing depot with associated offices, servicing point, fuelling point, fuel storage & so on with a short stretch of main line.
I'm trying to get every detail right, cable trunking, lineside cabinets, signalling, drainage etc.

The wife calls it my train set. She also thinks it's much cheaper than playing golf.
She's not so naive after asking what I wanted for Christmas. But I got all that I asked for.

When I'm a bit further on, I'll post some pics.

My best mate had to give up golf due to injury a couple of years ago so I thought I'd take up model railways after a forty odd year break.

I'm currently in the process of building a 1970's 00 gauge servicing depot with associated offices, servicing point, fuelling point, fuel storage & so on with a short stretch of main line.
I'm trying to get every detail right, cable trunking, lineside cabinets, signalling, drainage etc.

The wife calls it my train set. She also thinks it's much cheaper than playing golf.
She's not so naive after asking what I wanted for Christmas. But I got all that I asked for.

When I'm a bit further on, I'll post some pics.
Please post your progress to encourage others.

Now finished ballasting, just need to remove the odd bit off sides of rails. I've also done some paths with Woodland scenics "fine cinders".
I've used Wilko fine wet & dry for the tarmac. The effect with some weathering should be quite good.
Still one point machine & point levers to install.
The next stage is to weather the track with acrylics to reproduce general grime & oil stains then onto the ground cover.

Attachments

Last edited:
We're getting ready to move into our house, so the train set (and it IS a train set, not a layout yet) comes out of storage. Can't wait to play trains for a few hours.

Roadster280, 50 1/2, going on 9 :)

Now finished ballasting, just need to remove the odd bit off sides of rails. I've also done some paths with Woodland scenics "fine cinders".
I've used Wilko fine wet & dry for the tarmac. The effect with some weathering should be quite good.
Still one point machine & point levers to install.
The next stage is to weather the track with acrylics to reproduce general grime & oil stains then onto the ground cover.
Wow!

Thanks for the compliment, but if you want much greater wow factor, look at EM gauge or P4 layouts.
00 gauge track at 16.5 mm between the rails is under scale by about 2 mm so is actually H0 scale & the vast majority of 00 railway modellers accept the compromise. EM & P4 modellers build their own track to, I think, 18.5 & 18.8 mm respectively. Of course, they then have to change all the wheel spacing.
They'll also compare measurements & appearance of model locos & rolling stock to the real thing & change them accordingly. For example, lengthening an 00 wagon by 1 mm so it's the correct length or slightly changing the shape of a diesel exhaust port & so on. They'll also model everything else on their layouts to be as realistic as possible such as modelling litter.
In my opinion, rather a*al, but I admire their skill & dedication because the results are amazing.
I'm happy to stay with 00 because I don't have either the time, the patience or the money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment, but if you want much greater wow factor, look at EM gauge or P4 layouts.
00 gauge track at 16.5 mm between the rails is under scale by about 2 mm so is actually H0 scale & the vast majority of 00 railway modellers accept the compromise. EM & P4 modellers build their own track to, I think, 18.5 & 18.8 mm respectively. Of course, they then have to change all the wheel spacing.
They'll also compare measurements & appearance of model locos & rolling stock to the real thing & change them accordingly. For example, lengthening an 00 wagon by 1 mm so it's the correct length or slightly changing the shape of a diesel exhaust port & so on. They'll also model everything else on their layouts to be as realistic as possible such as modelling litter.
In my opinion, rather a*al, but I admire their skill & dedication because the results are amazing.
I'm happy to stay with 00 because I don't have either the time, the patience or the money.
I knew a P4 modeller and everything was in boxes, at least when I get my own gaff again, I can build the bare bones of an operstional railway quite quickly.

Best way to wind up the EM & P4 types? Look at their railways at an exhibition & announce in a loud voice how nice it is to see broad gauge modelled. Note the latest BRM has an article by a P4 modeller saying he couldn’t bear the inaccuracies in EM ;)

I really admire a lot of their work. However it’s not just the fine scale chaps who do things like litter-there’s a fellow who builds OO micros who is on the Home Counties exhibition circuit for example, he has games for children to find all the discarded Tesco bags on his layouts. Yes, he makes little 4mm:1ft ones!

So this is my dads new(ish) scale 4 industrial layout.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Lovely bit of weathering on the 37 and on the coal truck. Nothing adds more to the realism. I imagine that it's quite difficult to get right, but it really signifies the difference between a toy train set and an authentic modelling diorama.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Lovely bit of weathering on the 37 and on the coal truck. Nothing adds more to the realism. I imagine that it's quite difficult to get right, but it really signifies the difference between a toy train set and an authentic modelling diorama.
Having mentally penciled in railway modelling after I retire in a few years time, I've been acquiring a few books on the subject. One was from a professional modeler. Talk about attention to detail. He photographed his own sky for the back scene, had it professionally printed off by a local printer and then put in on aluminium sheet so the wood grain didn't show through.

Everything else he did also showed the same level of attention.

Wordsmith

Having mentally penciled in railway modelling after I retire in a few years time, I've been acquiring a few books on the subject. One was from a professional modeler. Talk about attention to detail. He photographed his own sky for the back scene, had it professionally printed off by a local printer and then put in on aluminium sheet so the wood grain didn't show through.

Everything else he did also showed the same level of attention.

Wordsmith
And that was just the garden railway to twart the perfidious English weather.

It's really good to see that model railways still have such a following.
One of many hobbies that can still be enjoyed regardless of age or health (within reason of course).

It's really good to see that model railways still have such a following.
One of many hobbies that can still be enjoyed regardless of age or health (within reason of course).
You forgot wealth... 30 year old coaches fetching 20 quid today; the entry price is becoming astronomical and Hornby have bought up the competition, eaten a sh.t sandwich with Chinese production quality, logistics and price and still want more thus enabling the second merchants to up the ante.

Any chance of an arrse market? Agreed percent going to Good CO et al?

Just had a birthday - SWMBO bought me a set of illuminating magnifying specs and some small screwdrivers and an oil injection pen thing, SiL bought me a another Metcalf card kit - a goods shed. I'm waiting on some track for delivery, but I came across this set on the N Gauge forum - great set of waggons

wagons.jpg

As a matter of interest, I've weathered the Wilko fine wet & dry tarmac by rubbing in talcum powder with an old toothbrush & then hoovering off the excess. It lightens it generally & gives differing shades of grey.
With some ironwork, it should look the business.
Just made a start on the lake side & the lake bed by putting the base colour on, Revell earth brown.
I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Rather than using one of the available water effects, I'm going to try several thin layers of waterproof pva with a top coat of high gloss varnish.

Latest Threads