End of the line for model trains?

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but personally I found DCC to be an absolute eye opener, and greatly enhanced my pleasure in playing trains. The addition of sound was an even greater revelation. Brake squeal as you pull to a halt is thing of marvel.

The idea behind it makes so much more sense than trying to regulate the track voltage or PWM frequency. I put a DCC decoder on a 45 year old Triang-Hornby Hymek and it was like new again in terms of performance.

I'd recommend it to anyone.
Way behind you on that. I'm still repairing/cleaning motors properly, I can do the basic electrics but electronicary is way a way. Track voltage to me is a case of it's either there or it ain't . Moreover I still use clipper and Duette which have variable resistance and wave switches. I need to get one triple turn out to complete the layout, I like those very compact.

Just about finished on the shops.
D67D67A4-1428-45BE-974E-FCB64EFA8C12.jpeg

Oh, & here are the completed interiors:

A5BB487E-BEE3-4808-8C41-657030E53178.jpeg
416E968C-ED7B-4DEA-AE5C-7C07EC3CEDDD.jpeg

Just ordered another L1 chassis off EBay, for the spare 4-4-0 body I have. That’ll give me 5 each, either LMS or BR to swap scenario. (Not to be confused with the Ratio Johnson, I’m working on) I’ve been able
to make a new crank pin, so now it’s the pickups

Just for fun, while Rugby on yesterday, had a bash at this which was part of a kit I picked up at a railway show ages ago. It was in response to a friend saying my railway needed a cinema:
822F126D-57D2-4477-950A-BC494A9A2AEC.jpeg

These old Superquick kits are quite fun, it turns out, but can’t believe these used to be the standard of one wasn’t doing Pendon-style modelling. Pretty sure the much lamented (by me anyway) Exmouth Model Railway had loads of Superquick buildings.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
A bit of train surgery this evening - fitting DCC decoders. I have the controller, a Gaugemaster Prodigy and will shortly be obtaining the track to construct the second loop.

View attachment 380520
Being 4 years off retirement, I figured I'd have a go at some 'N' gauge modelling - which I haven't done since I used to help my father with his OO layout about 50 odd years ago. I was surprised how much the technology has improved in that time - DCC being one of the main ones; the other being the quality of the rolling stock.

Not a cheap hobby either - I'm looking at about £2.5K to build a 12 foot long x 30" deep layout. (So am planning to nibble away at an average of £50 a month for the next 4 years). I could buy it a lot quicker than that, but it's really a retirement thing, so I'm in no hurry.

Wordsmith

Being 4 years off retirement, I figured I'd have a go at some 'N' gauge modelling - which I haven't done since I used to help my father with his OO layout about 50 odd years ago. I was surprised how much the technology has improved in that time - DCC being one of the main ones; the other being the quality of the rolling stock.

Not a cheap hobby either - I'm looking at about £2.5K to build a 12 foot long x 30" deep layout. (So am planning to nibble away at an average of £50 a month for the next 4 years). I could buy it a lot quicker than that, but it's really a retirement thing, so I'm in no hurry.

Wordsmith
Have a look on Facebook sites. People are selling N, OO and other gauges... you could pick up some bargains to help get you started.

Some work on the corners. Cinema piece only a placeholder, largely as the Post Office too tall to allow the baseboard to be folded back into the wall, & also because it’s all too big for the village by the halt:

283354EB-163C-48AD-A836-37CE30202285.jpeg
BA179761-2CD8-4CC4-ACE5-3C6575C9B382.jpeg

Always difficult to photograph this end on phone as the sun streams in through the window. Unfortunately DSLR which I can play with a bit more is buried under the folded-down layout!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Have a look on Facebook sites. People are selling N, OO and other gauges... you could pick up some bargains to help get you started.
Cheers, but always been a bit wary of Facebook, eBay, etc.

For the moment I'm just going to build a 5 ft x 30" baseboard and experiment. I gather, for example, to run DCC and electrofrog points, you need to perform some surgery of the points to get reliable running.

I also plan to get back into playing with plasticard to see how well I can scratch build buildings in N gauge.

I'm also idly trying to find if anyone does white metal kits for N gauge. I originally come from Brighton, so I fancied a crack at the Southern Railway and didn't want to run the same old locos as everyone else.

Wordsmith

Cheers, but always been a bit wary of Facebook, eBay, etc.

For the moment I'm just going to build a 5 ft x 30" baseboard and experiment. I gather, for example, to run DCC and electrofrog points, you need to perform some surgery of the points to get reliable running.

I also plan to get back into playing with plasticard to see how well I can scratch build buildings in N gauge.

I'm also idly trying to find if anyone does white metal kits for N gauge. I originally come from Brighton, so I fancied a crack at the Southern Railway and didn't want to run the same old locos as everyone else.

Wordsmith
Good luck scratch building an EPB! 414 et al. Did 71s run into Brighton or were they more the Dover line?

There is a limited amount of SR stuff available in N.
Langley do some white metal kits but, from experience, they are a bit crap and need a lot of fettling. Langley haven't updated their moulds in donkeys' years.

IIRC there are RTR Schools Class, N class, Terrier and Q1 available and a spam can

More modern there is a Class 33 Crompton and a Class 73 allegedly due out later in the year.

There are no N gauge HALs, VEPs, BILs etc although there are some in 00.

Have a look at the Hattons website:
hattons.co.uk from Hattons Model Railways

There's a lot more choice in 00 including the above plus modified West Country, BoB and even Adams Radial Tank. There is even a Bachmann "thumper" in 00

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Good luck scratch building an EPB! 414 et al. Did 71s run into Brighton or were they more the Dover line?
More interested in steam. I can remember seeing the 'Golden Arrow' at Victoria and being on the last steam train to run from Brighton up to Horsham up the Bramber line.

I can also remember the old Electric 'Brighton Belle'. There are ready to run Pullman carriages available, bur I'm not sure about the power cars.

N gauge is tiny - I can see myself working under a magnifier - but at least you can get an 8 carriage train in a bit over 4 feet. So planning on a country station with said 8 carriage trains running through, 4 carriage trains stopping and a little island platform in the station for a hypothetical branch line.

Wordsmith

I have a 009 narrow gauge industrial layout and a branch line station under construction.

Wordsmith
Same here, not retiring just yet but certainly in no rush. I've two locos so a double loop for the moment. Then I'll think about a bit more, including a raised section and some buildings.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Same here, not retiring just yet but certainly in no rush. I've two locos so a double loop for the moment. Then I'll think about a bit more, including a raised section and some buildings.
I always found building the layout more fun than running it, so this time round I want to build a computer controlled layout. Hours of fun trying to get a complex schedule running - including trying to shunt a small goods yard. The latter is going to require a lot of doing, so the next year or two is going to be experiments towards that end.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads