End of the line for model trains?

Not in my Dapol A4 it isn’t. The tender motor drives the loco wheels via the drive shaft. That’s how it works. Disconnects the shaft and nothing moves. The main drive wheels also have traction tyres for added grip. Some larger scale models may use tender drive. I recall my OO Duchess of many years ago was such
Mmmm. Sounds - unnecessarily - intricate and complicated, and to what purpose?

How old is the Dapol?

Mmmm. Sounds - unnecessarily - intricate and complicated, and to what purpose?

How old is the Dapol?
Brand spanking new. Latest Mallard
I suppose this set up allows a larger motor giving power to larger driving wheels. Graham Farrish OO models from the 60s used a similar set up. One of my teachers had a collection of them back in the 80s

In the 70's Triang Wrenn made the A4 class in metal in BR Green, LNER Blue, and Silver/Grey named Silver Fox. The T/W version had the engine in the locomotive and the tender was a towalong,
Those were the old Dublo models transferred to Wrenn. One of the downsides for plastic was the lighter weight of the tenders which had been tinplate and cast chassis. The motors for the Dublo/Wrenn stuff was man enough for the job but the initial X04/03 wasn't. The upside for the tender drives was that they could be incorporated in the Diesels as well as they are basically a box shell. Down side as I'm finding out with Coronation, if you don't get the wheels turning freely enough, it can overload the motor. Duke of Gloucester on the other hand has reverted to direct drive, which is infinitely better.

A couple from my railway. First work in progress at the end of the branch line:

ED26F3B8-7385-49B6-B0DE-67D2A0584347.jpeg

Despite not wanting to live or work in London again, although I like visiting, I have a thing about the Underground. I’m planning another railway where these can run along with Southern third-rail stuff. A chance for some urban grime to contrast with the chocolate box of my main layout:

76732C7D-9429-4F47-BA30-BF6877038510.jpeg

A couple from my railway. First work in progress at the end of the branch line:

View attachment 380750

Despite not wanting to live or work in London again, although I like visiting, I have a thing about the Underground. I’m planning another railway where these can run along with Southern third-rail stuff. A chance for some urban grime to contrast with the chocolate box of my main layout:

View attachment 380749
I'm struggling to think where that could happen, New Cross perhaps or perhaps down towards Victoria. New cross Gate is now overland mind it's been a few years now.

I'm struggling to think where that could happen, New Cross perhaps or perhaps down towards Victoria. New cross Gate is now overland mind it's been a few years now.
I’m building something imagined where the Underground goes Sarf of the river from London Bridge towards Deptford, but as a surface line. It’s going to be two sets of track, one fourth rail & one third, on railway arches converging on a station at one end.

Underneath the arches* & in between will be a market inspired by Borough. The mixed ages of stock will be explained by specials running à la Steam on the Met.

*I dream my dreams away ;)

I’m building something imagined where the Underground goes Sarf of the river from London Bridge towards Deptford, but as a surface line. It’s going to be two sets of track, one fourth rail & one third, on railway arches converging on a station at one end.

Underneath the arches* & in between will be a market inspired by Borough. The mixed ages of stock will be explained by specials running à la Steam on the Met.

*I dream my dreams away ;)
That’s it Acton, IIRC except it was never Southern Thee rail, used to be GWR two rail, comes in via Hounslow. Borough is going to be a challenge, but you have a lot of scope LBSC, SECR , it’s effectively Three viaduct/ arches coming into one set.

That’s it Acton, IIRC except it was never Southern Thee rail, used to be GWR two rail, comes in via Hounslow. Borough is going to be a challenge, but you have a lot of scope LBSC, SECR , it’s effectively Three viaduct/ arches coming into one set.
Know Acton well as Dad was a WR Civil Engineer & we always seemed to travel via Paddington to see family. That’s why I chose Paddington as my LPD Station!

Dad & I scratchbuilt a GWR shunter’s truck from a Coopercraft 7 (?) plank, using the sides to make up the tool box when I was a nipper. We didn’t have enough Letraset to put “DIDCOT” on it so settled for “ACTON”.

I have a pic of the truck somewhere alongside the RTR one that was released a few years back. It’s pretty accurate :)

Is that my bottle of Quink:mrgreen:. Not contemplating DCC anytime soon
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but personally I found DCC to be an absolute eye opener, and greatly enhanced my pleasure in playing trains. The addition of sound was an even greater revelation. Brake squeal as you pull to a halt is thing of marvel.

The idea behind it makes so much more sense than trying to regulate the track voltage or PWM frequency. I put a DCC decoder on a 45 year old Triang-Hornby Hymek and it was like new again in terms of performance.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

I have always loved Willesden Junction, even today, there is so much variety and if you throw in the late 80s freightliner terminals with X-country from Brighton changing from 47 to an 86 as well as freight headed for East and South London. Intercity in transition, Willesden High level, Underground and the Watford route and the potential is huge... as would be the budget... ahh.

Last edited:

Latest Threads