End of the line for model trains?

Model railways are not dead. Several years ago, I used to take my young son on Czech trains to give us some time apart from his mother...

... he now loves trains apparently AND negotiating a mahoosive 20% discount he will receive his first LEGO freight train set... which I can watch as he builds it.

I have rebuilt a collection of over 50 locomotives and other assorted stock so that soon, he will be ready to start modelling a railway...

Well, maybe
Perhaps
Possibly
Might happen

As @History_Man knows, the Judge will decide...

Here's to Lego bringing people together at Christmas

(and feck all his mother can do about it).

I completed [less a few loose screw (the board, not me)] the baseboard for 'Devex Junction' today. I've worked out where it will go in the shed. I will admit I was hurrying, it being the first day for the last three weeks where 1. I was home in daylight 2. It wasn't pi$$ing down. Only after I'd nearly finished did I remember that I'd planned to take 6 inches off the long side. Never mind, it'll give me more room for track and scenery. Overall size is about 6foot by 3 foot 6. Picture will follow in due course.

I completed [less a few loose screw (the board, not me)] the baseboard for 'Devex Junction' today. I've worked out where it will go in the shed. I will admit I was hurrying, it being the first day for the last three weeks where 1. I was home in daylight 2. It wasn't pi$$ing down. Only after I'd nearly finished did I remember that I'd planned to take 6 inches off the long side. Never mind, it'll give me more room for track and scenery. Overall size is about 6foot by 3 foot 6. Picture will follow in due course.
Steam, BR or modern image?

For those who are modelling in HO/OO (1-72/1-76/1-87).

Aldi are selling at £5 Airfix model kits in 1-72 scale, whilst most of the kits are Spitfires, Hurricane, ME109 etc.

They also have the Airborne Jeep, trailer and light gun in 1-72 scale again for £5, ideal items for loads on flat wagons if you are modelling the 40's on wards.

Last edited:
HELP: I have been desperately trying to find a collated list of historically obtuse excuses given for train delays. I once had that list - it ran into the hundreds - bookmarked and now it is gone.

The list contained such classics as "the wrong type of sunlight." How many types ARE there? The usual "leaves on the line" to "we're on the wrong line."

If anyone can provide the link, I would greatly appreciate it.
Delays explained

Steam, BR or modern image?
Some pics and to answer your question, no particular era or genre. First loco is steam, I will probably add a BR Blue Deltic and/or original blue and yellow HST. Might look at Tornado and maybe a DMU pootling round in the background.

board.JPG

Board outside the man cave

Shedint.JPG

Panorama of the interior showing space made (note access to bar unimpeded)

table small.JPG

Baseboard in place

mallard.JPG

First loco

Some pics and to answer your question, no particular era or genre. First loco is steam, I will probably add a BR Blue Deltic and/or original blue and yellow HST. Might look at Tornado and maybe a DMU pootling round in the background.

View attachment 365829
Board outside the man cave

View attachment 365830
Panorama of the interior showing space made (note access to bar unimpeded)

View attachment 365831
Baseboard in place

View attachment 365834

First loco
Stuff the trains..... more pics of the shed please :)

ordered a pair of DCC decoders tonight. I'll pick up a used basic DCC controller from fleabay, add an outer loop with a crossover and away I'll go. More rolling stock will be needed but it's birthday time in April.

Here's a wagon that any self respecting BAOR veteran ought to have on their layout!

wobbly.jpg

ordered a pair of DCC decoders tonight. I'll pick up a used basic DCC controller from fleabay, add an outer loop with a crossover and away I'll go. More rolling stock will be needed but it's birthday time in April.

Here's a wagon that any self respecting BAOR veteran ought to have on their layout!

View attachment 377348
How did they get those trailers out of the drop-bed wagons? Cranes?

Did we/they have drop-bed wagons during BAOR?

Latest Threads