End of the doe season

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Apr 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well in England and Wales it finished at an hour past sunset last night, as usual we havent taken enough does and as usual we will be struggling to play catch up nexxt november. At least we can concentrate on the Roe Bucks from Today and the Fallow Bucks for another month.
    it was a fine outing last night, a doe at 65 yards out on the pasture taken from the woodline with a CZ527 in 7.62x39. I used the set trigger function and it smacked into the ribs just behind the shoulder taking out the heart and lungs. The bullet expanded nicely and left me with a dead deer. The herd stayed put for a few minutes but didnt present for a second shot.

After the gralloch we wandered around to the rest of the wood and happily bumped into a Roe Doe in front of a high seat, we havent seen many roe so its a good sign. Hopefully we can make a dent in the Muntjac as well this year.

Attached Files:

2. Nice one to finish on, and proves what we were saying the other day about the carbine being useful
    in the right place/ at the right time.
    Next time Al and I are with you I'll bring mine and leave the Howa in the cabinet.
  3. Ahh thank you so much what a lovely thing to look at over lunch.

I've seen much worse.
  4. I got this one last Saturday with the swede
  5. Do't walk in on your mother doing the splits then. Tool.
  6. Errrm, Ugly the pic looks very very much like a fallow calf to me!!
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheers 5A, RoyalMong1995 that is about to be lunch, where do you think food comes from the QM?
    Marty well done, at least you managed to get something in this season. Seeing a Roe over by the high seat was a treat although our scent is now well masked by the putrid dead fox I left there a month or two ago!
    If you want worse then here is something we found yesterday afternoon;
    I should have hung around to see what had killed it rather than what was eating it, still I'll be there in a day or two again!
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

At first I thought she was a yearling but she was far too well grown, no milk in the udders but pregnant with an almost fully formed buck on board. I suspect she was one of last years yearlings so just nudging 2 years old. She was deceptively heavy as well.

Edited to add; we have so many deer here that extending the season helps but we are getting more and more heavily pregnant does shot. There is also a need to thin the yearlings, this is pure culling and unfortunately has to take place to lower the herd numbers to a manageable size.
    I would rather shoot tasty deer with the odd trophy but the work is just that and unless I get the numbers down we lose the stalking. yesterday the one herd on the pasture numbered 20 plus. we also have seen the whole herd together numbering close on 100 does, callves and mixed yearlings. its far too many for an agricultural area to support and they have been raiding gardens to supplement their feed when it snowed.
  9. That CZ527 looks nice. I've been hankering after a carbine thingy but the Mannlicher Scout is way too expensive. What scope is that?
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm not convinced about the Scout either, I find that for woodland this does the biz, the scope is this exact model
    Leupold LEU67835, VX-3 RifleScope 1.5-5x 20mm Matte-30mm, Illuminated German #4 Dot Reticle
    A nice little scope as well. I wouldnt use either scope or rifle on the hill but for woodlands and 100 to 200 yard pastures it does well enough!
  11. Woodlands and pasture? Yes, that's Wiltshire alright. Nice shot on the roe by the way, it's where my guru told me to put it. That way, if there are any dramas - like bullet drop etc - you'll be chasing a three legged wounded roe!
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

This is the short clip that Mc Shug made with his camera before running out of memory card!
    I was hoping to demonstrate the hanging gralloch. Apologies for the sound quality.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used a couple of steel kitchen hooks, like butchers hooks but not stainless. I have ordered some folding Gambrels in but the maker went tits up so I am waiting on a new supplier delivering in a week or so!