Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

End of the Deltic in RN service

Would some nice clankie like to take this on? If yes, please leave a comment and I will PM you Nigel Paine's email address and mobile phone number:

"I was wondering if you had any Navy contacts who could help us with some information about the Hunt Class MCMV.

My reason for asking is that the Hunts are in the process of being refitted and more importantly re-engined. There are only a few left running with Deltic engines and we want to try and commemorate the end of Deltics in Navy use.

Deltic engines have been used by the RN for over 65 years so we think it is apt that there should be some ceremony. Can you help us please?

Kind regards,

Nigel Paine
Editor - Napier Heritage News
Webmaster - www.npht.org
Napier Power Heritage Trust"
Where it started:
Deltic advertisement.jpg

Are there any Deltic engines still used in the HSTs? I know that many had Mirrlees and MTUs fitted.
If you mean the Class 43, I didn't think they ever had Deltic engines.
The original engine was the Paxman Valentia. Now being re-engined with a different Paxman or MTU.
It's a shame to lose the turbocharger scream of the Valentia.

If you mean the Class 43, I didn't think they ever had Deltic engines.
The original engine was the Paxman Valentia. Now being re-engined with a different Paxman or MTU.
It's a shame to lose the turbocharger scream of the Valentia.
You're right - I am being stupid. Deltic was the Class 55

You're right - I am being stupid. Deltic was the Class 55
Noooo you will summon them and their grubby macs!

Yeah it is a shame in a historical sense. I wouldnt want to work on one, especially in a cramped MCMV. They are using Volvo Pentas as the new generators on them which we had on the Rovers to replace our Shagged Paxmans.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Highburton.jpg

Here's Highburton in her youth, leaving Portland for a hard day's trials for AUWE. If you look closely right aft you will see Lt Seaweed.

Noooo you will summon them and their grubby macs!

Yeah it is a shame in a historical sense. I wouldnt want to work on one, especially in a cramped MCMV. They are using Volvo Pentas as the new generators on them which we had on the Rovers to replace our Shagged Paxmans.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Happy to oblige
deltic06.jpg

As a result of Air Ministry negotiations in the mid-1920s, Napier received a license to build the Jumo 204 and 205 as the Culverin and Cutlass respectively. Originally Vickers were proposed as the licensees, as the engines were intended to be fitted on their airships, but they showed little interest.

Would Vickers have thought to join three 204s together in a triangle..?

As a result of Air Ministry negotiations in the mid-1920s, Napier received a license to build the Jumo 204 and 205 as the Culverin and Cutlass respectively. Originally Vickers were proposed as the licensees, as the engines were intended to be fitted on their airships, but they showed little interest.

Would Vickers have thought to join three 204s together in a triangle..?

Jumo 223

Admiralty pointed Napier in the deltic direction.

Jumo 223

Admiralty pointed Napier in the deltic direction.

Yep, Napier bought the Jump design, both Companies initially couldn't get it to work very well, until some bright spark at Napier reversed the direction of one of the piston strokes in relation to the others