End of Sport

#1
Football is our national game but we rarely get to see live matches on BBC, we can't see cricket and the rugby world cup is played on ITV. We don't get to see our national sides play on our nationally owned television channels but today folks, you can watch American Football!

The BBC dropped Rugby League (apart from the Challenge Cup) citing that there wasn't enough national interest in the game. Sky took over and as a consequence the game has come on in leaps and bounds. Isn't it about time that our own sports got a bit of coverage and investment before promoting the US massively over funded sports which have only minority interest over here?
 
#2
I agree. There used to be a list of sports that had to be on free to air terrestrial television. Can't remember what they were, probably because in those days we just took it for granted. Those were the days when the BBC was recognised as the premium channel for sports coverage.

The problem is in these commercial days that commercial TV simply outbids the BBC (Despite the fact that the commercial TV and radio providers spend their life moaning about the BBC having a competitive advantage, which is just bo11ocks).

Should the government step in and legislate to ensure that these sports (or at least some of them) are restored to the good old Beeb (or even ITV and other free to air stations)? Hardly the function of government, is it?

But how else will it ever be available for all to see again? If we were ever in a world cup final ever again (fat chance!) would it be a shared national experience, that all saw and remembered, or would it just be something talked about by those who had Sky TV? And if the latter, would it be devalued in the national psyche as a result?
 
#3
Markintime said:
Football is our national game but we rarely get to see live matches on BBC, we can't see cricket and the rugby world cup is played on ITV. We don't get to see our national sides play on our nationally owned television channels but today folks, you can watch American Football!

The BBC dropped Rugby League (apart from the Challenge Cup) citing that there wasn't enough national interest in the game. Sky took over and as a consequence the game has come on in leaps and bounds. Isn't it about time that our own sports got a bit of coverage and investment before promoting the US massively over funded sports which have only minority interest over here?
We're doing you a favor and this is the thanks we get? :twisted:

Cricket and 'soccer' are the dullest, most boring sports in the history of mankind (well ok, baseball is in that same group). Only soccer can have a 0-0 scored game in the 52nd minute and have it be described as 'titanic struggle'...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Seriously, dull doesn't describe it.

And cricket? Jerry Lewis' view given recently in Australia: ...asked his opinion on cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a fag game. What are you, nuts?" :twisted:

Seriously, you ought to get down on your knees and wish for gridiron every Sunday, though I agree with you that Rugby League is a lot of fun.
 
#4
schweik said:
But how else will it ever be available for all to see again? If we were ever in a world cup final ever again (fat chance!) would it be a shared national experience, that all saw and remembered, or would it just be something talked about by those who had Sky TV? And if the latter, would it be devalued in the national psyche as a result?
I'm sure that the world cup final is protected by some law to be shown on a free channel.
As to the rest of it if sky hadn't paid for the premiership (and other sports) we wouldn't have a football league that is the envy of the rest of the world.
 
#5
Virgil said:
Markintime said:
Football is our national game but we rarely get to see live matches on BBC, we can't see cricket and the rugby world cup is played on ITV. We don't get to see our national sides play on our nationally owned television channels but today folks, you can watch American Football!

The BBC dropped Rugby League (apart from the Challenge Cup) citing that there wasn't enough national interest in the game. Sky took over and as a consequence the game has come on in leaps and bounds. Isn't it about time that our own sports got a bit of coverage and investment before promoting the US massively over funded sports which have only minority interest over here?
We're doing you a favor and this is the thanks we get? :twisted:

Cricket and 'soccer' are the dullest, most boring sports in the history of mankind (well ok, baseball is in that same group). Only soccer can have a 0-0 scored game in the 52nd minute and have it be described as 'titanic struggle'...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Seriously, dull doesn't describe it.

And cricket? Jerry Lewis' view given recently in Australia: ...asked his opinion on cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a fag game. What are you, nuts?" :twisted:

Seriously, you ought to get down on your knees and wish for gridiron every Sunday, though I agree with you that Rugby League is a lot of fun.
Please say that whole comment was sarcasm.
 
#6
brianlara said:
Virgil said:
Markintime said:
Football is our national game but we rarely get to see live matches on BBC, we can't see cricket and the rugby world cup is played on ITV. We don't get to see our national sides play on our nationally owned television channels but today folks, you can watch American Football!

The BBC dropped Rugby League (apart from the Challenge Cup) citing that there wasn't enough national interest in the game. Sky took over and as a consequence the game has come on in leaps and bounds. Isn't it about time that our own sports got a bit of coverage and investment before promoting the US massively over funded sports which have only minority interest over here?
We're doing you a favor and this is the thanks we get? :twisted:

Cricket and 'soccer' are the dullest, most boring sports in the history of mankind (well ok, baseball is in that same group). Only soccer can have a 0-0 scored game in the 52nd minute and have it be described as 'titanic struggle'...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Seriously, dull doesn't describe it.

And cricket? Jerry Lewis' view given recently in Australia: ...asked his opinion on cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a fag game. What are you, nuts?" :twisted:

Seriously, you ought to get down on your knees and wish for gridiron every Sunday, though I agree with you that Rugby League is a lot of fun.
'
Please say that whole comment was sarcasm.
Not a bit. In fact here is the proposed new symbol for FIFA:





 
#7
Virgil said:
Markintime said:
Football is our national game but we rarely get to see live matches on BBC, we can't see cricket and the rugby world cup is played on ITV. We don't get to see our national sides play on our nationally owned television channels but today folks, you can watch American Football!

The BBC dropped Rugby League (apart from the Challenge Cup) citing that there wasn't enough national interest in the game. Sky took over and as a consequence the game has come on in leaps and bounds. Isn't it about time that our own sports got a bit of coverage and investment before promoting the US massively over funded sports which have only minority interest over here?
We're doing you a favor and this is the thanks we get? :twisted:

Cricket and 'soccer' are the dullest, most boring sports in the history of mankind (well ok, baseball is in that same group). Only soccer can have a 0-0 scored game in the 52nd minute and have it be described as 'titanic struggle'...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Seriously, dull doesn't describe it.

And cricket? Jerry Lewis' view given recently in Australia: ...asked his opinion on cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a fag game. What are you, nuts?" :twisted:

Seriously, you ought to get down on your knees and wish for gridiron every Sunday, though I agree with you that Rugby League is a lot of fun.
During a lull in soldierly activity during GW1 we got together with some Americans to play some sport. It was decided we would play American Football 1 day Rugby Union the next.
American Football was amazingly complicated with some plays where you could tackle and some it seems where you couldn't. Our teacher explained that the game is an awful lot like chess all to do with plays and gambits.
It is also interrupted, on TV, every few minutes for moronic adverts or for talks, a fag break, hamburger, virtually anything really. Apparently if you watch the game live it can take up to four hours for the match to be played.
I would rather watch televised chess (no, that's a lie, I wouldn't watch either) than American Football. The game is dull and false and can in no way compete with the end to end adrenalin pumping excitement of Rugby, either code. Come to think of it American Football would get my vote for THE most boring game in the world ever, even more boring than Olympic Paint Drying.
 
#8
WTF??? How can any american be allowed a point of view on what does and doesn't constitue an exciting sport? All your sports are designed solely to enable sports equipment manufacturers to sell as much kit as possible, and they change the rules for the benefit of television, and gridiron (not worthy of the term football) baseball, basketball and ice hockey are as dull as sh1t, no tension or drama, just constant scoring so mindless rednecks can honk along like seals, at the end of the day with the constant stream of latin immigrants football is going to be your number one sport as well in the long run, so you'll need to throw away your gay armour and helmet, man up and learn to play real mens sports...
 
#9
Virgil said:
We're doing you a favor and this is the thanks we get? :twisted:

Cricket and 'soccer' are the dullest, most boring sports in the history of mankind (well ok, baseball is in that same group). Only soccer can have a 0-0 scored game in the 52nd minute and have it be described as 'titanic struggle'...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Seriously, dull doesn't describe it.

And cricket? Jerry Lewis' view given recently in Australia: ...asked his opinion on cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a fag game. What are you, nuts?" :twisted:

Seriously, you ought to get down on your knees and wish for gridiron every Sunday, though I agree with you that Rugby League is a lot of fun.
Seriously Virgil, you're a colonial and therefore have no valid opinion. :D

However, American "Football" is a product of the American Psyche, demanding instant (well after three hours or so) gratification and no "tie". You also require a break every forty seconds or so to allow for a Hot Dog / Cigarette / Drinks / Rest Room break in order to lend further self gratification to the whole experience.

Throw into the mix forty or so Armoured Behemoths all climbing on each other and rubbing together and you begin to recognise what a massively Homo Erotic self pleasuring experience the whole shebang is. 8O

Football is a game played by the rest of the world for a reason. It is simple, requires little or no equipment other than a ball and to be successful it requires an element of team work - hence it spreads its popularity. Same for Rugby - a ball and some like minded people is all you need to have an enjoyable game.

At its most basic you can do the same with GridIron - but to look like your hereoes takes a lot more - which is where Footbalol and Rugby are streets ahead.

That and the fact that American Football is shite of course........ ;)
 
#10
Virgil said:
Markintime said:
Football is our national game but we rarely get to see live matches on BBC, we can't see cricket and the rugby world cup is played on ITV. We don't get to see our national sides play on our nationally owned television channels but today folks, you can watch American Football!

The BBC dropped Rugby League (apart from the Challenge Cup) citing that there wasn't enough national interest in the game. Sky took over and as a consequence the game has come on in leaps and bounds. Isn't it about time that our own sports got a bit of coverage and investment before promoting the US massively over funded sports which have only minority interest over here?
We're doing you a favor and this is the thanks we get? :twisted:

Cricket and 'soccer' are the dullest, most boring sports in the history of mankind (well ok, baseball is in that same group). Only soccer can have a 0-0 scored game in the 52nd minute and have it be described as 'titanic struggle'...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Seriously, dull doesn't describe it.

And cricket? Jerry Lewis' view given recently in Australia: ...asked his opinion on cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a fag game. What are you, nuts?" :twisted:

Seriously, you ought to get down on your knees and wish for gridiron every Sunday, though I agree with you that Rugby League is a lot of fun.
Cricket? It's an televison advertisers wet dream

Ad exec: "so matches last how long then?"
Blokey "Sometimes 3 days"
Ad Exec (hunching up in joy)"unrh great!! and how often does play pause?"
Blokey "every six balls or "over", they change ends"
Ad Exec "wow, excuse me i seem to have messed my self"

it's only the poor show of the 1926 north yorkshire county cricket cheer leading team in their inaugural North American winter tour that has meant Cricket never got the lift off in the states it deserved........
 
#11
Gridiron is a fantastic sport, as mentally challenging as anything else; the college level more enjoyable than the NFL or CFL for my money.

I also believe that Rugby, both league and union are excellent. The hitting is less--in gridiron most of the players are engaged in collisions every play, the rules for tacking and hitting are liberal ie most hitting from foot to neck is a go--but in rugby the hitting that occurs is without pads and the action is constant.

Soccer, just dull as dirt.

Perfect for poor third world types; one ball keeps them from begging on the streets I suppose and gives them time away from those nagging stomach-is-empty noises.

"Ladies and gents we're involved in an epic struggle here, the game has ten minutes left and the score is 0 - 0. Good God, what a game!" ZZzzzzzzzz.

 
#12
Bradstyley said:
...at the end of the day...(soccer) is going to be your number one sport as well...
I like to use the word 'effeminization'.
 
#13
Comment about 'Third World Begging' is not really welcome, or funny, as for you view on football, I'm not sure I can be bothered to get too defensive, if you cannot see why it is the world’s most popular game then you clearly are a moron. :evil:
 
#14
Virgil said:
Gridiron is a fantastic sport, as mentally challenging as anything else; the college level more enjoyable than the NFL or CFL for my money.

I also believe that Rugby, both league and union are excellent. The hitting is less--in gridiron most of the players are engaged in collisions every play, the rules for tacking and hitting are liberal ie most hitting from foot to neck is a go--but in rugby the hitting that occurs is without pads and the action is constant.

Soccer, just dull as dirt.

Perfect for poor third world types; one ball keeps them from begging on the streets I suppose and gives them time away from those nagging stomach-is-empty noises.

"Ladies and gents we're involved in an epic struggle here, the game has ten minutes left and the score is 0 - 0. Good God, what a game!" ZZzzzzzzzz.

I don't normally defend football....but then again I don't normally listen to colonial drivel either.
How come Sceptics don't play team sports with the rest of the world?
How come you can have a world championship that only involves one country?
When your ready to join the rest of planet Earth in the joy that is international sport. we will talk. Until then put on your massive padding and helmet and ponse around for four hours waiting for the oxygen mask!

Gridiron! pah!

Big girls blouses in tights more like!
 
#15
I seem to recall rugby teams from both codes have travelled to the US before and played a game of septic queerball against them followed by a game of rugby. The septics didn't fair well. ;)
 
#16
evertonluke said:
Comment about 'Third World Begging' is not really welcome, or funny, as for you view on football, I'm not sure I can be bothered to get too defensive, if you cannot see why it is the world’s most popular game then you clearly are a moron. :evil:
Lighten up Francis :roll:
 
#17
Who the **** is Francis???
I'm very lightened, give and take the piss with the best of them :D third world people who beg becuase they have nothing, funny? ....er no.
 
#18
Virgil said:
Gridiron is a fantastic sport, as mentally challenging as anything else; the college level more enjoyable than the NFL or CFL for my money.

I also believe that Rugby, both league and union are excellent. The hitting is less--in gridiron most of the players are engaged in collisions every play, the rules for tacking and hitting are liberal ie most hitting from foot to neck is a go--but in rugby the hitting that occurs is without pads and the action is constant.

Soccer, just dull as dirt.

Perfect for poor third world types; one ball keeps them from begging on the streets I suppose and gives them time away from those nagging stomach-is-empty noises.

"Ladies and gents we're involved in an epic struggle here, the game has ten minutes left and the score is 0 - 0. Good God, what a game!" ZZzzzzzzzz.

Now I do like that photo :D

But gridiron mentally challenging? Only for americans, and doesn't that tell you something?
Mentally challenging comes with cricket, and the eternal decision of if I have another G&T now or wait till the mem-sahib brings me one.

You are right about rugby, THE true sport for men.

But I have seen some edge-of the seat 0-0 draws in football, - just like the colliseum it is the technique and style that is important.

Keep trying Virgil, we will cure you of colonial-thinking yet. 8)
 
#19
What Americans fail to understand is that more points does not equate to more excitement, basketball is end to end boredom. If we called the runs in cricket points the yanks would fcuking love it with all those points being scored.

I (hangs head in shame) actually quite like American Football - and seeing as how it is on when there is no football, rugby or cricket being played - watch it regularly but it does p1ss me off how they reward failure by awarding the worst team one year with the first pick the next season.
 
#20
Ah there's quite a few point in here that raise a few issues to me.

Firstly the reason, as far as I know, the BBC showed the American Football is because they provided the coverage for the american channels (who amusingly sold the footage to sky). So that was a bit of smart buisiness from them I think.

Markintime said:
The BBC dropped Rugby League (apart from the Challenge Cup) citing that there wasn't enough national interest in the game. Sky took over and as a consequence the game has come on in leaps and bounds.
No it hasn't, it's fell on its arse. Attendance is down and it's slowly becoming more and more americanised, which is something you're complaining about.

Markintime said:
American Football was amazingly complicated with some plays where you could tackle and some it seems where you couldn't. Our teacher explained that the game is an awful lot like chess all to do with plays and gambits.
It is also interrupted, on TV, every few minutes for moronic adverts or for talks, a fag break, hamburger, virtually anything really. Apparently if you watch the game live it can take up to four hours for the match to be played.
I would rather watch televised chess (no, that's a lie, I wouldn't watch either) than American Football. The game is dull and false and can in no way compete with the end to end adrenalin pumping excitement of Rugby, either code. Come to think of it American Football would get my vote for THE most boring game in the world ever, even more boring than Olympic Paint Drying.
Well I was lucky enough to be at Wembley and have to say it was a very exciting and adrenaline pumping game right until the final moments.

You also seem to be missing the point about the breaks. You list many things you could do with that break but missed a very important one. Go get another round in. I went to the game with my Dad and Brother and I did wonder how i would cope with the breaks until i relaised that the game just became a 5 hour session (we got there early).

However right until the end the game was exciting and extremely watchable. And if there was a break and you had a full pint and didn;t need the loo they provided dancing girls for your entertainment.

How can this sport be labled ad dull and boring.

On another note I've been playing rugby for 20 years now and I understand why American Football players wear all that padding. They need it. Because of the way the game is played the hits are bigger and harder than anything you would experience in Rugby. Yes rugby is a far superior sport and yes Rugby players are a hell of a lot tougher however most of them are now getting wrapped in Neoprene covered padding and ask them why, they'll tell you it's because the guy hitting them has it on and they would lose the edge. American football is the same. Trust me if you saw a guy running at you with all the padding on you would want something similar.

Where do they put the majority of the padding? On the head and shoulders. Where do they take the impact? Legs and Abdomen. The pads aren't to protect the guy getting hit they are for the guy doing the hitting to do more damage.

All in all you may like what you like but dont insult a sport merely because you dont understand it. American Football is a great game to play and watch, I think the biggest endorsement for a Rugby Fan to look at is that Martin Johnson is a huge fan, so much so that at last years Wembley game he was a honorary captain as well as having played for Leicester Panthers in his pre rugby days.

That'll do for me
 

Latest Threads

Top