End of RAF EOD

The Army's requirements for command and staff training are different from those of both RN and the RAF.
Even if we were to accept that the Army needs SO2 staff officers to do 8 months instead of 8 weeks (I don't) the issue about it having a separate MTM is pigging ridiculous in this day and age. Why can't those Major's posts be run by a deputy for 8 months? Is that not good subordinate development? Can the 2i/cs not be trusted?

After all, if as you say, collective trg isn't getting done, what are all those units doing that absolutely must have a Major in post that can't be pushed out amongst their peers or given to deputies?

I could go on but its massively off topic.

The Army's requirements for command and staff training are different from those of both RN and the RAF. I stand by my contention that a loss of 4,000 PIDs would wreck the Army now, quite possibly for good. Perhaps instead of criticising you ought to go and visit the LWC and the FTU and see the impact that declining troop numbers is having on collective training.

In what way are they different, or is it just that it’s always* been?

I’ve no doubt that if you took 4000 PIDS from the Army it’d hurt, especially if you didn’t change how you did stuff. I know COs who are living the collective training pain - both thru poor training engendered by it, and by having to give troops to try and solve some of the gap.

That doesn’t mean that you can’t give up the 4000 - it just means the Army has to change.

*of course, ICSC(L) is relatively new, as it the attendance of every new Maj on Staff Course.

The Army's requirements for command and staff training are different from those of both RN and the RAF. I stand by my contention that a loss of 4,000 PIDs would wreck the Army now, quite possibly for good. Perhaps instead of criticising you ought to go and visit the LWC and the FTU and see the impact that declining troop numbers is having on collective training.
I'm not criticising; I'm merely stating facts. I’ve also visited LWC on numerous occasions.

Ultimately, using your yardstick the British Army faces a question of priorities. Right now, it evidently believes that gold-plated command and staff training, 42 full time bands and duplicate career management structures to name but a few are more important than troop numbers.

Regards,
MM

I'm not criticising; I'm merely stating facts. I’ve also visited LWC on numerous occasions.

Ultimately, using your yardstick the British Army faces a question of priorities. Right now, it evidently believes that gold-plated command and staff training, 42 full time bands and duplicate career management structures to name but a few are more important than troop numbers.

Regards,
MM
While an excess of bands and duplicate career management structures* are fair targets, I'm more comfortable with first class (not gold plated) staff training being a reasonable priority. Currently working within a NATO HQ - the results of our staff training are obvious and highly valued. Every single one of the Army officers here stands out in their branch as the "go to guy" when something beyond the run of the mill is needed.

*Although I'd question your numbers - 5 in the RAF? Are you sure you're comparing apples with apples?

While an excess of bands and duplicate career management structures* are fair targets...

...*Although I'd question your numbers - 5 in the RAF? Are you sure you're comparing apples with apples?
The RAF have 3 Regular bands: The Central Band, The Band of the RAF College and The Band of the RAF Regiment. The Salon Orchestra performs separately employing relevant musicians selected from the others. We also have a single Reserve Band, that of the RAuxAF.

In contrast, the Army have 22 Regular bands and 20 in the Reserve.

Incredibly, the website boasted until recently that the British Army was the largest employer of professional musicians in the UK! However, for balance, I’m unsure if that is still the case.

...I'm more comfortable with first class (not gold plated) staff training being a reasonable priority. Currently working within a NATO HQ - the results of our staff training are obvious and highly valued. Every single one of the Army officers here stands out in their branch as the "go to guy" when something beyond the run of the mill is needed...
I wouldn’t argue against ‘first class staff training.’

Similarly, I’d hope that any British officer stood out in a NATO headquarters. In a UK Joint environment, I personally don’t see any appreciable difference between the services.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
The RAF have 3 Regular bands: The Central Band, The Band of the RAF College and The Band of the RAF Regiment. The Salon Orchestra performs separately employing relevant musicians selected from the others. We also have a single Reserve Band, that of the RAuxAF.

In contrast, the Army have 22 Regular bands and 20 in the Reserve.

Incredibly, the website boasted until recently that the British Army was the largest employer of full time musicians in the UK! However, for balance, I’m unsure if that is still the case.

Regards,
MM
My bad - I'm happy with the maths about bands. It was the up-thread contention that 5 blokes are doing personnel policy in the RAF versus 180 in the Army.

My bad - I'm happy with the maths about bands. It was the up-thread contention that 5 blokes are doing personnel policy in the RAF versus 180 in the Army.
Apologies; that was admitted by a colonel from Army Personnel.

Regards,
MM

So the Army is not under recruited? AR Majors are not making up the numbers over and above the normal training days allowance?

Anyone who truly cares about the UK Armed Forces would bin the Army numbers and give manpower lift to the RN and RAF.