End of GDMOs??

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Pongo21, Jan 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparantly due to clinical governance pressures, having GDMO doctors do RMO jobs is very soon to end, thus losing the best bit of being a doctor in the forces. These jobs will supposedly be done by qualified GPs. Is this true?? Does anyone know how quickly this is going to be implemented?? Where are all the GPs are going to appear from to cover these slots?? How is this going to affect the Navy and Army who currently rely on GDMOs to cover RMO jobs on ships/subs, with the line infantry, Paras and Commandos??

Does anyone else think this is another nail in the coffin to demilitarise the DMS??!!

Answers to the above questions and general thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. Don't forget the stunning plan to bin most of the regular AMS a few years ago and rely on the NHS in peace time and the TA for operations.
    mayabe this is the similar idea by a different route?

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

My source has heard nothing, but will speak to the 'real' grown ups and come back to me!

4. Yup, Just heard the same thing. Apparently RMO jobs are now VERY difficult to come by as they want to give the job to qualified GPs – clinical governance etc. If you are one of the lucky few to be selected the post is usually for 6 months, maximum 1 year. This is really bad news since the 2 year of RMO job is THE main reason most medical students sign up for the army in the first place. With the hierarchy now successfully chipping away at every other possible benefits of joining the military such as adventurous training and sport there now seems very little to choose between the MOD and the NHS. Being a forces doctor does of course give you the privilege of working in one of the great MDHUs but as far as I can see this means being a civvi doctor in uniform.

I do share Pongo21’s concerns over who is now going to fill all the RMO jobs as there are not nearly enough Army GPs as it is. Although qualified GPs clearly will have more experience in treating the usual primary care stuff, being a RMO is much more than just being a 9 till 5 GP. The whole point of having young RMOs is so they can live in the mess and generally get involved in Regimental life,, go on exercise, do AT etc.. Most qualified GPs have families and will simply not have the time or enthusiasm to put in as a young junior doctor.

As of this year junior doctors now do 2 years after medical school in hospital before even going to Sandhurst, surely they will be able to deal with most problems they see as a RMO with this experience, and if not surely they can refer them to the real GPs?

5. To summarise then - the most fun you can have with your clothes on as an Army doc is to go (granted it's been on the cards for a long while but..) ... then you add in the problems retaining GPs once qualified (including increasingly short inter-tour intervals due in part to having only qualified GPs able cover RMO slots...) so I can only assume that the next round of defence cuts is going to be reduce the deployable medical needs of Mrs Windsor's militia to one man and the proverbial dog. Or else (yet again) it's faeces profundus and facial plethora all round

( i know, i know - CG, European law, trg reqs etc etc etc but sometimes i need to have an illogical and frankly emotional whinge!)

6. The only* reason that swung it for me between TA and Regular was the chance to join a regiment as an RMO. In my F2 year I'll be doing a 4/12 GP placement, working under supervision, so I will already have more experience of GP-style problems than my non-foundation year predecessors.

*the money was a big incentive but not a reason (honest!)

7. you are heading straight for a no-interest entanglement (its one down from the low interest one that I spend much of my life in)

8. The clinical governance arguement is clearly an issue that can't really be disputed, and in all honesty I have little problem with it. HOWEVER, the powers that be must realise that RMO jobs is probably the single biggest incentive to joining. To reduce this valuable experience of regimental life to 6-12 months, even if it's supervised, is downright foolish and will be negative for recruiting and retention.

The advantages of being a regular DMS doctor are rapidly diminishing and the so-called 'military ethos' in MDHUs is a joke! Despite what anyone may say, the DMS seems to spend its life bending over backwards to accommodate the NHS and not looking after its most valuable resource - its personnel. It's seems ironic that the TA appear to have got themselves sorted out far better than the regulars with regular medical, military and adventurous training.

Are the days of a regular DMS numbered???

9. Another one of the world's shortest books ... 'The Advantages of being an RMO in the Regular DMS'