End of an era

I had a mark 4 Goof as a company car and I hated it. Agreed on the seats! Radio on mine was barmy. It used to not-actually-turn-off if you left a CD in it. Parked up on a Friday, I used my own car at weekends. Come Monday morning, flat battery. A common issue (the dealer told our fleet manager the immortal word "They all do that, sir.") Other stuff too, mainly that it chewed suspension bushings at an alarming rate.

They got me a "Mark 5" Fiesta 1.6 Ghia to replace it. That was a stonking little car. Black metallic with a tan interior and a sunroof. Really airy inside. They got a great deal on it, as the new "Baby Focus" shape Fiesta was already on sale.

FORDFiesta5Doors-2795_1.jpg

Bought this brand new in 2002, kept it for 14 years. Rover 25 iL. This was when Rover was circling the drain for the final time. It was, er, approximately the specification that I ordered (they got the colour right at least)

New Rovers in this era were great fun: you had to finish screwing it together yourself! The spec of mine was all over the show. Top of the line volumetric alarm and keep-fit windows for example. Oh, and a stereo with THREE speakers. One in each door and one on the passenger side rear.

All of that aside, it is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Designed at a time when Rover had no, and I mean NO money (Project Drive anyone?) it was a brilliant car to drive and chuck about. Over the years quite a few random people offered to buy it from me.

Only sold it as it was starting to get difficult to find parts, even from Rimmer Brothers. Mind you, whoever has it now must have found some bits, as it passed the MoT last Monday!

Untitled_HDR23.png

A week short of the end of the warranty I chopped the Golf in on one of these:
1562958649255.png

3.0 V6 TiD. Leather seats, climate, cruise. Went like hot sh!t off a shiny shovel.
Most comfortable car I'd ever owned. 50mpg on a long run if you kept to 70 (fill to fill although the trip computer was spot on too).
Parcel shelf was solid and folded into 3 sections and was ideal for changing nappies (kids were 2 and new born at the time.

Downsides:
Suspension was not up to the car and high speed bends could be scary.
Gearbox always felt over-stressed for the engine
Incompetent dealers

Sold when I could not find anywhere to get it serviced properly (Saab engine management system and electrics are NOT Vauxhall despite what many garages will say).

How I miss that engine!

I was looking for a Wolseley the same as my father used to own
went to look at one, but the hippy wanker had messed about with it and sold the registration
so I told him to scrap it
a bit fed up after travelling 200 miles
then I said to my old man lets try this one, its not what I wanted but its near
I bought it and nearly 30 years later still own it

23-02-2009 20;10;36.JPG

Bought this brand new in 2002, kept it for 14 years. Rover 25 iL. This was when Rover was circling the drain for the final time. It was, er, approximately the specification that I ordered (they got the colour right at least)

New Rovers in this era were great fun: you had to finish screwing it together yourself! The spec of mine was all over the show. Top of the line volumetric alarm and keep-fit windows for example. Oh, and a stereo with THREE speakers. One in each door and one on the passenger side rear.

All of that aside, it is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Designed at a time when Rover had no, and I mean NO money (Project Drive anyone?) it was a brilliant car to drive and chuck about. Over the years quite a few random people offered to buy it from me.

Only sold it as it was starting to get difficult to find parts, even from Rimmer Brothers. Mind you, whoever has it now must have found some bits, as it passed the MoT last Monday!

View attachment 403695
It was a surprising little car. My SiL had the MG version and we used it to go to Mums interment in 2011, I won’t pretend things weren’t tight 4 and a bit up but it went like stink. The only other car that surprised me was the 214 back in the 90’s I got as a courtesy car when some dozy tart couldn't see a P 5 on a roundabout and decided to write off a Fiat panda.

It was a surprising little car. My SiL had the MG version and we used it to go to Mums interment in 2011, I won’t pretend things weren’t tight 4 and a bit up but it went like stink. The only other car that surprised me was the 214 back in the 90’s I got as a courtesy car when some dozy tart couldn't see a P 5 on a roundabout and decided to write off a Fiat panda.
For some reason I bought a Rover 216 in the mid 90s. My god it shifted. Honda engine, I think. It went to the garage for repair and we were given a newer shape Rover. Went for a spin and was really taken aback by how good it was.

You lot were all dead posh!

My first motor was a Reliant Supervan Mk3 in this colour:
Reliant.png

My version was customised with Perspex panels in the sides as windows and a homemade rear bench seat that folded down neatly. I done loads of miles in it carrying quite a bit of stuff. Driving it on a motorbike licence teaching myself to drive and it was brill (70s word there). After I sold it on the police got in touch because it had been used in a Post Office robbery somewhere!

Next I got one of these for £400:
HA vanpng.png

Again it had been converted to have windows in the sides, homemade bench rear seats and this time a tow bar too. Although mine was in a (sickly) viva green and I added roof bars to it as well. The milage went right around the clock before I got an exchanged recon'd engine dropped in one Saturday. This also done loads of long trips carrying loads of stuff. By the end of it's days it had so much wrong with it that it was barely worth the scrap value. However, there was a scheme were you could part ex an old car like this for about £1,000 off a new Lada! Bargain!

So the next two cars were these Lada rivas:
Lada.png

The first was in Midnight Blue and the second was in Red. After having the old banger van having a nice new car was super special. Even if it was a Lada. I still have some of the Lada tools that came with it too. Unfortunately, family grief and a bitch of a hag meant this had to go.

I loved those Ladas, we had a dealer near where I lived. Rowan Atkinson (I think) tested a Riva for CAR Magazine way, way back (I think I was still at school). His conclusion was that he rather liked it.

I loved those Ladas, we had a dealer near where I lived. Rowan Atkinson (I think) tested a Riva for CAR Magazine way, way back (I think I was still at school). His conclusion was that he rather liked it.
At the time it was the cheapest way to get a new car - except for the Yugo. But the Yugos really were crap! The Ladas got a bit of a following, but their resale value was meagre...

You lot were all dead posh!

My first motor was a Reliant Supervan Mk3 in this colour:
View attachment 403714
My version was customised with Perspex panels in the sides as windows and a homemade rear bench seat that folded down neatly. I done loads of miles in it carrying quite a bit of stuff. Driving it on a motorbike licence teaching myself to drive and it was brill (70s word there). After I sold it on the police got in touch because it had been used in a Post Office robbery somewhere!

Next I got one of these for £400:
View attachment 403715
Again it had been converted to have windows in the sides, homemade bench rear seats and this time a tow bar too. Although mine was in a (sickly) viva green and I added roof bars to it as well. The milage went right around the clock before I got an exchanged recon'd engine dropped in one Saturday. This also done loads of long trips carrying loads of stuff. By the end of it's days it had so much wrong with it that it was barely worth the scrap value. However, there was a scheme were you could part ex an old car like this for about £1,000 off a new Lada! Bargain!

So the next two cars were these Lada rivas:
View attachment 403721
The first was in Midnight Blue and the second was in Red. After having the old banger van having a nice new car was super special. Even if it was a Lada. I still have some of the Lada tools that came with it too. Unfortunately, family grief and a bitch of a hag meant this had to go.
Aha you were a Lada Lout
so was I, I had several of them, good solid and stupid proof
never bothered locking them either

At the time it was the cheapest way to get a new car - except for the Yugo. But the Yugos really were crap! The Ladas got a bit of a following, but their resale value was meagre...
About 20 years ago, some Eastern European types scooped up all the ones round where I live. Paid good money for them too, all above board. The UK-bound cars had gone through rectification in the UK (King's Lynn I think) and were highly desirable back in former Communistical places, despite being right-hand drive.

About 20 years ago, some Eastern European types scooped up all the ones round where I live. Paid good money for them too, all above board. The UK-bound cars had gone through rectification in the UK (King's Lynn I think) and were highly desirable back in former Communistical places, despite being right-hand drive.
Both of ours went home that way
5 am phone call about the Lada advert
yerse mate
back to sleep
30 minutes later the house is alight to flashing beacons, and a car transporter is outside, both loaded on and away