End of an era in Tyneside - Vickers factory closes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bokkatankie, Jun 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the 'next' thing you talk of?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. At at a guess either Germany or the United States.
  3. Good!

Maybe now we'll get tanks and AFV's designed for actually military requirements rather than what Vickers are able to design.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Munitions? I thought that was the stuff fired rather than the stuff firing?
    Anyway its the way of the world, make stuff that sells and be a success, Armstrong certainly did!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. In an ideal world, yes. However, I give you....FRES!
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whhat jobs moved? BAE doesnt have any armaments plants down on the south Coast, Vickers in Crayford shut shortly after ww2 and Wales is a wasteland that not even Labour and PFI can help!
    there are no jobs because BAE cant win any of the few UK contracts, its buildinng planes for Johnny Foreigner now as they can afford them!
    Tanks and Guns? Well we dont even make our own propellant any more let alone the guns to fire it!
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That said the NE does Heritage alright, Beamish is a shining example!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Funnily enough was readingMechanised Force- British Tanks between the wars (HMSO) and that was a complaint going back to 1927 from the Army.
  9. Thats complete bollox.

Vickers were/are more than capable of building armoured vehicles better than anyone on the planet.
    It was not the fault of Vickers that the MOD are incapable of spending money wisely

Vickers designed and built what was aked of them
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Probably the best thing about the M1 Abrams was the way the designers specifically future proofed the design. They took the then fully working 105 as the baseline for the MoiA1, but they designed in the ability to switch with only minor mods to the them under development 120 smooth bore cannon. It will probably be cheaper to buy new tanks than convert the Challenger 2 to take a smooth bore cannon.

Which is why we used people like Leyland to design our tanks during WWII and onwards.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

To be fair the Carden Lloyds and Vickers Lights were of their age, we fought the German Mk2s in France with Mk1 Matildas that they couldnt knock out. We fought the Italians in the desert with A13 cruisers (I dont mean a cortina either) and until the arrival of the Mk1V German we were ahead of the game. The Germans first reliable tank came with the aquisition of the Czech T26 (I Think) which showed them how good a light tank could be.
    The British efforts were hampered as much by the designs as the feedback and the time taken to get designs into the field let alone updated!
    Some blame Monty for championing the Sherman when we needed a Heavier tank.
  12. The Valentine ( a private venture by Vickers) was the 3rd. most produced tank, by the British in WW2. Used to great effect in Italy and the Russians got the rest.

Monty did not champion the Sherman, he took what he was given, the 300 hundred that turned up in NA were damned useful and helped to sort out the AK.

300 cruisers or if they had been available Churchill would not have been so useful given that they were undergunned and especially the cruiser, unreliable. The Churchill was also very slow.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

And very successful until the advent of the long barrelled 75mm in the Mk1V I believe. even its less than fantastic 2 pounder gun could achive mobility kills!
  14. You can't blame Vickers for the tanks they required. The MOD has a list of requirements, if something fits these it's in the running. If the requirements are wrong then it's the MOD's fault.

My grandfather was a foreman at vickers. When I was a little bloke my old man used to drive me over the Scotswood Bridge so we could look down into their tank park to see the odd for export vehicles. Sad day, but them's the breaks.