Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Rarden_reaper, Jul 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all!!

i was reading a thread about the old spectrums and Amigas and discovered that these so called emulators allow you to play practicaly any game made for these old school computers...

I have a basic Dell inspiron laptop..would this have sufficient memory to allow me to play/ use an Amiga 500 emulator.

As you have probably guessed from my terminology I'm not 100%
    IT literate...I'm also worried about getting a virus from random downloads.

Could you nice chaps give me the gen?
  2. The short answer is "Suck it and see". Load up an emulater and give it a bash.
  3. To be honest, unless your laptop is ten years old, or over, you should have absolutely no problem in playing the Amiga games, after all, they were made for a MUCH slower computer system.

This page is a good one for more information on emulators (mainly for consoles though).

4. i USE an emu and have played all manner of games from NES, S-NES, PSU, n64, Saturn, Amiga... quality stuff
  5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Aye, Mrs Bruno always whinges that she can't play 3D games because they confuse her (no Y-chromosome, no spacial awareness). All she ever wants to play are old platformers like Mario, so I got her ZSNES. Best bit: It'll run on practically anything! It is, after all, only trying to simulate a 15yo console that had, what, 16k of RAM?
  6. interesting. i used to play a game on the Amstrad CPC464 called "Panza Kick Boxing" (nothing to do with tanks - panza was the name of some champion).

anyway it was fantastic fun, you could customise your moves, and there are no decent fighting games on the PC (unless you like fantasy crap like mortal kombat). but i've never found an emulator that worked okay on mine.

e.g. you can see it here http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/601/Panza+Kick+Boxing.html and the download is a hefty 881KB (KB, not MB!) but the executable gets so far then says it's not compatible in full screen mode - no matter what options i select. arrse.

the closest i could get was a spectrum emulator for "way of the exploding fist". but i wouldn't even play spectrum games back in 1983, let alone now :)