Empty Cartrige cases: Controlled items in the UK

What caliber and rifle you using ?

Depends on what takes my fancy for the day or what I'm hunting. Could be anything from .22 to my old 40-40 Marlin. I wouldn't say I have an over abundance of firearms but I do have a fair few including pistols.

Tangent - is there anything useful that can be done with fired 5.56 blanks? I spend a fair amount of time walking around local MOD training areas and tend to imitate a womble picking up bits of rubbish as I go.

I've got a pile of spent blank cartridges - is it worth bagging them up and handing in to the nearest barracks? Seemed a bit wasteful to chuck them in landfill and I've got no use for them.

I meant for your long range / 800 yard shots ,

I just logged back in to edit and add that the day I took the pronghorn I was shooting a Howa 270WSM which I've always found to be a great flat shooting cartridge. The round went straight through both scapula's and he dropped like a stone where he stood.

Tangent - is there anything useful that can be done with fired 5.56 blanks? I spend a fair amount of time walking around local MOD training areas and tend to imitate a womble picking up bits of rubbish as I go.

I've got a pile of spent blank cartridges - is it worth bagging them up and handing in to the nearest barracks? Seemed a bit wasteful to chuck them in landfill and I've got no use for them.

Save them up every time you go out and when you have a fair few sell them to the scrappy. It's what I do with brass that has reached it's end of use.

HE117

LE

Are we talking spent or live..?

Spent is just brass scrap.. it has a value and what get recovered gets sold as scrap..

Live Blank is a PITA! The only way to get rid of it is by incineration. Hand it in to Plot and 11 Regt will pick it up on the milk round..

Are we talking spent or live..?

Spent is just brass scrap.. it has a value and what get recovered gets sold as scrap..

Live Blank is a PITA! The only way to get rid of it is by incineration. Hand it in to Plot and 11 Regt will pick it up on the milk round..
Spent, all primers are dented and the crimped ends are open. I like to check that sort of thing before shoving them in my pockets.

Piekey

Clanker
I met a chap from Switzerland on a shooting course here. He attends the course every year, or two, as a refresher to stay on top of his game. He does all the paperwork required to have his pistol accompany him out of Switzerland and into the US. He told me it is a bigger pain in the arrse at the Swiss end when leaving than it is when arriving in the USA where at ATL he reckons he almost has to wake up the cuzzers to make them look at his docs and get the appropriate stempels and signatures. He reckoned that all they are interested in on both sides is the number on the frame, which prompts him to buy a very large handful of magazines whenever he comes over.
Its not that difficult to bring a firearm into the states for hunting or sporting use. I flew into LAX several times with various longs and shorts.The biggest problem was the admin vortex when you sent the papers off to the state department they disappeared entirely untill the Faxed you a reply months down the line.

This ment I had several applications in the system a one time ,because my contracts stateside were of a 6 to 8 month duration.

The rules for export used to be quite clear, sporting arms required permission from the state department, sporting ammo and non commercial reloading gear and components did not.

The only time I really attracted the attention of the TSA was when I foolishly attempted to bring two front hubs of a CJ5 Jeep onto the aircraft as cabin luggage.

Its not that difficult to bring a firearm into the states for hunting or sporting use. I flew into LAX several times with various longs and shorts.The biggest problem was the admin vortex when you sent the papers off to the state department they disappeared entirely untill the Faxed you a reply months down the line.

This ment I had several applications in the system a one time ,because my contracts stateside were of a 6 to 8 month duration.

The rules for export used to be quite clear, sporting arms required permission from the state department, sporting ammo and non commercial reloading gear and components did not.

The only time I really attracted the attention of the TSA was when I foolishly attempted to bring two front hubs of a CJ5 Jeep onto the aircraft as cabin luggage.

I had an email from Dillon Reloading this morning. They inform me that reloading kit can leave the US quite legally, but to be aware of any potential import restrictions in the destination country.

I have legal insurance which I will flex during the next couple of weeks and get lawyers to do the running around for me to find out if, and how I may move my bulk, once fired brass. I googled in France and germany and they seem to charge around Euro15.00 for a hundred cartridge cases, so well worth my bank balance to find out officially if I can move them.

I had an email from Dillon Reloading this morning. They inform me that reloading kit can leave the US quite legally, but to be aware of any potential import restrictions in the destination country.

I have legal insurance which I will flex during the next couple of weeks and get lawyers to do the running around for me to find out if, and how I may move my bulk, once fired brass. I googled in France and germany and they seem to charge around Euro15.00 for a hundred cartridge cases, so well worth my bank balance to find out officially if I can move them.
Not sure what the deal with primers and powder in France but I do know some European countries insist on reloaders doing a formal course before they are allowed to buy powder and primers .

Not sure what the deal with primers and powder in France but I do know some European countries insist on reloaders doing a formal course before they are allowed to buy powder and primers .
No restrictions as far as I am aware.
Some clubs do the odd reloading demonstrations but it isn't a legal requirement.

Same in Germany too, theoretically. I don’t know if they have actually tightened up on it, back in time you still had to do the course, but the dealers just sold the stuff without checking any paperwork anyway.

Portugal you have to do a short course too.

BTW what is/isn't on the ITAR list has changed recently, and a lot of US sellers haven't caught up (or don't want to bother with international sales and what is/isn't on the list).

Muzzle brakes, for instance, are no longer ITAR.

What really grips my S*** is that an awful lot of American suppliers have self imposed a wholesale blanket ban on exporting anything even peripherally associated with firearms and shotguns.

Points in case, Marlin BA 30 inch barrel goose gun, 12 bore had a broken extractor, pretty much unavailable in the UK unless I buy a de-act for around £350. Available in the USA for $ 2.50 - can I get one sent over? Can I F***.

Solution: Son No 2Mk II on a long attachment to the Septic Army, sends off to surplus parts firm and gets a couple posted off to him which he then passes on to me when he is back in the UK.

Got a 'Remy 700 SPS in .223, found a company that manufactures a bottom metal part that allows you to use AR Magazines, purchase price $ 75. Unavailable in the UK. The nearest thing is a polymer based drop in component with a single 10 round magazine for the bargain price of £250.

Solution: As above.

Neither of these items are (In the UK.) are controlled or restricted items, neither, as far as I am aware are they subject to USA export restriction.

Rant Over........Out,

HE117

LE
What really grips my S*** is that an awful lot of American suppliers have self imposed a wholesale blanket ban on exporting anything even peripherally associated with firearms and shotguns.

Points in case, Marlin BA 30 inch barrel goose gun, 12 bore had a broken extractor, pretty much unavailable in the UK unless I buy a de-act for around £350. Available in the USA for $ 2.50 - can I get one sent over? Can I F***.

Solution: Son No 2Mk II on a long attachment to the Septic Army, sends off to surplus parts firm and gets a couple posted off to him which he then passes on to me when he is back in the UK.

Got a 'Remy 700 SPS in .223, found a company that manufactures a bottom metal part that allows you to use AR Magazines, purchase price $ 75. Unavailable in the UK. The nearest thing is a polymer based drop in component with a single 10 round magazine for the bargain price of £250.

Solution: As above.

Neither of these items are (In the UK.) are controlled or restricted items, neither, as far as I am aware are they subject to USA export restriction.

Rant Over........Out,
Agreed..

and the biggest culprit is Midway! They simply ceased trading externally with no logical reason. Brownell is still exporting so why can't Midway...

I used to have a lot of time for Larry Potterfield, however even if they start exporting again, I will think long and hard about trading with them again!

Agreed..

and the biggest culprit is Midway! They simply ceased trading externally with no logical reason. Brownell is still exporting so why can't Midway...

I used to have a lot of time for Larry Potterfield, however even if they start exporting again, I will think long and hard about trading with them again!
Given that Midway Schweiz became Brownells Schweiz`(and I presume the same happened in other countries too), I wonder if Midway didn't simply sell their foreign representatives to Brownells?

HE117

LE
Given that Midway Schweiz became Brownells Schweiz`(and I presume the same happened in other countries too), I wonder if Midway didn't simply sell their foreign representatives to Brownells?
I think it may have been the other way round...

When Midway UK got dropped by Midway, I think the owners approached Brownell! I know the guy concerned.. I will ask him!

I think it may have been the other way round...

When Midway UK got dropped by Midway, I think the owners approached Brownell! I know the guy concerned.. I will ask him!
Would be interesting to know what happened, since the same thing happened everywhere.

Oh, and I've just ordered a 9mm AR muzzle brake from Canada instead of the US due to this US-sellers-not-wanting-to-ship-anything-to-foreign thing...

Now that's an idea worth following up.

Latest Threads