Empowerment - coming to a soldier near you.....

Because no one has considered that a single pc program can do all of this for you, to be honest in NI with Vengeful we had a powerful database, want to bring a vehicle onto camp apply online and the gd room would be linked to the database unless you are still using rulers and pens
Vengeful, that was the name I was trying to remember earlier.

thanks

That was the un-written intention of my post, it doesn't make an ounce of difference on the battle field, in essence, its all snowflake corporate box ticking bollox.
C'mon you know Facebook likes save lives

I think at that time H&K was owned by Royal Ordanance. Ten years later after it had been sold off, didn't the government have to spend a large wedge of taxpayers money to get H&K to sort out the SA80 - hence SA80-A2.

You could.nt make it up.

£92m, and the muppet that signed off the Mk1 version, against the recommendations of the Ghurkha and Para Regt that trialled them, still has not been held to account. H&K have on their books several MOD head sheds, and civil servants, as sleeping directors,.... Allegedly....... draw from that any conclusions you may.......it stinks.....

If that had been you or me costing a private company millions, ...prison time...no question... What's the problem,?............. its only faceless tax payers money.....

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
SA80 Heckler & Koch?
At that point (mid-80s) Royal Ordnance were being bought by British Aerospace (as was) and there was a political imperative to ensure a sufficiently full order book that BAe would pay a decent price and invest in the business (e.g. building the Nottingham factory for the main run of L85/L86). Hence the horrible rush job on the first examples.

Later on - early 1990s - BAe acquired H&K (because they'd gone bust developing the G11 caseless rifle, only for the end of the Cold War to mean nobody bought it), hence when the SA80A2 contract came in, H&K were part of the family looking at the weapon and modifying it.

BAE SYSTEMS (as they'd become by then after merging with GEC-Marconi's defence arm) let H&K go in 2002, selling the company to a group of German investors.

Change Agent sounds like a civilian Consultancy job title. Who on earth signed it off on the green side? Can you imagine the shop floor piss taking?!

Why does it require a car pass for every barracks though? My camp employs 3 Civil servants to sort car passes, £100k+ a year for one camp.

Multiply this by every camp you need to go to, what a total waste in money and time.
passes are important.
they have different grades and different permissions, all so the regulators can walk around and stick an infringement notice on your window demanding you present yourself at the guardhouse.

Bollocks... all wrong... start the first sentence with "So" and resubmit it... ;-)
Amazeballs! You've read my mind! Like, complete redraw, guys!

Unfortunately you'll need to bat this one back to the marketing geniuses, as I'm on holibobs. I reckon you can onboard them with this task package.

Can we action this by close of play?

Amazeballs! You've read my mind! Like, complete redraw, guys!

Unfortunately you'll need to bat this one back to the marketing geniuses, as I'm on holibobs. I reckon you can onboard them with this task package.

Can we action this by close of play?
...and we come right back around to the old army saying "Bullshit baffles brains"... which incidentally has worked for me since the late 1970s...

Plus ca change... :)

...and we come right back around to the old army saying "Bullshit baffles brains"... which incidentally has worked for me since the late 1970s...

Plus ca change... :)

....to expand your quote:- " You can dazzle them brilliance, or baffle them with bullshit"

Whilst acknowledging the cynicism and buzzwords, any study of change management programs will show up the need for change agents at all levels in an organisation.

No organisation has ever managed change successfully by top down directive, no matter how good the leader. It can’t be done. An institutionally reactionary organisation like the Army has no chance of change without putting in place the right change agents / catalysts / seed corns or whatever buzzword title you choose.

So, if the Army needs to change, this seems to me to be a good initiative. Whether or not change is needed is another issue

I can’t imagine a more wasteful, morale sapping and least effective way of implementing continuous improvement, that ignores the experience of those many organisations that actually do it well. Presumably this gem of wisdom cascaded from ‘slidewear’ authored by a 22 year old employed by one of the usual consultancy suspects, who read about the topic in a house magazine.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine a more wasteful, morale sapping and least effective way of implementing continuous improvement, that ignores the experience of those many organisations that actually do it well.
Most other organisations sole aim is to make money for their shareholders. As no one (except the taxpayer) loses money due to any crap managment, there isn't the same drive to change.

Given I've just sent a load of 180 feedback requests to my WOs and CPOs (SSgt equivalent), I disagree fundamentally.
You are an isolated case of ‘what good looks like”, but in isolation, you are a pebble in the Pacific.

Doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t do it though :)

To be fair I think they've managed to sort out the constant weapon cleaning that was prevalent in the army. Little changes do go a bit to helping morale, along as the time saved cleaning weapons, isn't used to pointlessly fcuk the lads around in other ways.

Car passes for every camp, how is this even hard? GSMs wanting to feel like they are powerful, we already have a MOD90 why do serving soldiers need a car pass? Never mind a car pass for every barracks.
Don’t forget temporary IDs at most starred HQs, turn up, queue up, show serviceable ID card, swap for little green card with barely visible grainy photo, effectively wasting half an hour each time.

Keeps a civil servant in a job though :)

Because it's a fundamental security requirement to be able to identify all vehicles on a camp, and know to whom they belong - are the lessons of NI forgotten already?
And how would that change if I had a car pass with my registration, make and colour of car, number rank and name, home unit and address on a single car pass.

If my military lD card matches my vehicle pass, bobs your auntie. You then have ’onion skin’ security for access to sensitive areas. And if there is a proxy bomb worry, have trigger words or other methods of warning.

It really isn’t hard.

Latest Threads