Empowerment - coming to a soldier near you.....

Both tend to favour ranks other than the juniors and although all pointless bureaucracy should be scraped, its always good if the lads get something out of it. If it had been scrap monthly weapon cleaning, Toms would be lining up to recommend him for an MBE for services to morale.
Probably the cae, although my instinct on seeing anything like this is to ask who gets what from it. Together with a suggestion that searching cars exiting installations is a dreary waste of everyone's time, and that guard forces should stand down for ten minutes at specific times daily, I thought I spotted a Plan in the making. I know; I'm paranoid.

Bomber Harris certainly empowered us 1943-1945. Can't see this shit having a similar effect.
Who knew he was in the army!? Must have had a marvellous shouty voice.

Given I've just sent a load of 180 feedback requests to my WOs and CPOs (SSgt equivalent), I disagree fundamentally.
...and the cynical could consider this to be idle leadership, and wasteful of resource. CO/OC prayers were designed to achieve this; and leaders actually walking round their units and asking questions supplemented it. Now they sit in an office and fire out dozens of complicated (almost guaranteed) question sets, all of which have to be collated, analyzed, and responded to, and all requiring some poor sap to do so. That's modern innovation for you.

ugly

LE
Because it's a fundamental security requirement to be able to identify all vehicles on a camp, and know to whom they belong - are the lessons of NI forgotten already?
Because no one has considered that a single pc program can do all of this for you, to be honest in NI with Vengeful we had a powerful database, want to bring a vehicle onto camp apply online and the gd room would be linked to the database unless you are still using rulers and pens

Because no one has considered that a single pc program can do all of this for you, to be honest in NI with Vengeful we had a powerful database, want to bring a vehicle onto camp apply online and the gd room would be linked to the database unless you are still using rulers and pens
It might be able to do so - but unlikely as many vehicles entering camp won't be on any DBase. Examples are hire cars, cars that are not registered in the soldiers name, contractors vehicles, to name but a few.

ugly

LE
It might be able to do so - but unlikely as many vehicles entering camp won't be on any DBase. Examples are hire cars, cars that are not registered in the soldiers name, contractors vehicles, to name but a few.
It’s an easy fix a lot of large sites have similar software and it can be done quickly only the army would struggle
Hire cars easy, on picking up the hirer sends a message to system control with vrn and a temp pass is generated in the system, contractors cars and vans the same! It’s easy! You do the online form or don’t get in!

It’s an easy fix a lot of large sites have similar software and it can be done quickly only the army would struggle
Hire cars easy, on picking up the hirer sends a message to system control with vrn and a temp pass is generated in the system, contractors cars and vans the same! It’s easy! You do the online form or don’t get in!
Sounds good in practice - the only flaw in the plan is the people (not) using it.

...and the cynical could consider this to be idle leadership, and wasteful of resource. CO/OC prayers were designed to achieve this; and leaders actually walking round their units and asking questions supplemented it. Now they sit in an office and fire out dozens of complicated (almost guaranteed) question sets, all of which have to be collated, analyzed, and responded to, and all requiring some poor sap to do so. That's modern innovation for you.
so now feedback is ok, and it's not a sign of poor leadership. It's just the questions you object to?

The stench of 'Consultancy' is overpowering.

I do like a couple of the notes on that Powerpoint Slide, though: 'Reducing unnecessary Armoury checks' and 'Self Approval for foreign travel'. Somebody has an agenda, I'd say.
They need to make their minds up. A large lass from Belize, former Cpl of the AGC is presently on a weight reduction plan at MCTC for self authorising travel for herself and extended family.

I bet the QM at RM Poole wishes that he had done a few more armoury checks after a FTR Marine had flogged off a number of assault rifles and grenades - special forces type, to the underworld in London.

The weapon cleaning regime should be aligned with that which is necessary to keep the weapon serviceable, yes. It can also be a useful tool, however, for ensuring that those who don't frequently handle their PW as part of their normal role retain some currency in handling/maintenance.
It's done monthly because it always has been done monthly. Regardless if the weapons have been taken out of the armoury or not. I seem to remember that when the issued the latest version of the SA80 it was said the tests included burying it for six months in various temperatures and then it could still fire up to 20000 (I think) rounds without a stoppage. Yet the army don't seem to manage with them being clean and oiled and put in an armoury for more than a month.
It's usually junior ranks only, very rarely see an officer (other than a Lt who is doing the checks).
It's a nightmare for rear party because the job still needs doing and I believe the TA struggle because there are so few of them on a given night
If soldiers need more weapon handling, then factor in proper training not lump it in with a weapon cleaning.
Will it change? Not likely.

They need to make their minds up. A large lass from Belize, former Cpl of the AGC is presently on a weight reduction plan at MCTC for self authorising travel for herself and extended family.

I bet the QM at RM Poole wishes that he had done a few more armoury checks after a FTR Marine had flogged off a number of assault rifles and grenades - special forces type, to the underworld in London.
Armoury checks are usually done every working day (bar block leave periods). It does seem strange that the Army does do checks on a weekend because the armoury isnt open but insists on it during the week even if the armoury isnt open.

Going forward, I think this is another case of blue sky thinking, and they should sunset the initiative until they pre-plan how they can engage the relevant stakeholders and establish an effective synergy. They need to find the root causes of these problematic areas.
Fail.
No mention of “Running it up a flag pole to see who salutes”
22.00 Show parade with polished cliches.

To be fair I think they've managed to sort out the constant weapon cleaning that was prevalent in the army. Little changes do go a bit to helping morale, along as the time saved cleaning weapons, isn't used to pointlessly fcuk the lads around in other ways.

Car passes for every camp, how is this even hard? GSMs wanting to feel like they are powerful, we already have a MOD90 why do serving soldiers need a car pass? Never mind a car pass for every barracks.
Back in the nineties when serving as the Company armourer in 10 Para in the Duke of Yorks HQ in Chelsea, an officer who had been a regular in the DERR told me that it had been found (Probably by REME or the Small Arms Staff Corps) that excessive cleaning had effected the shelf life off THAT rifle, hence one of the reasons to get the SA80 in service as soon as possible. ( The main one of course was to make sure Royal Ordance had full order books before they flogged it off.)

Back in the nineties when serving as the Company armourer in 10 Para in the Duke of Yorks HQ in Chelsea, an officer who had been a regular in the DERR told me that it had been found (Probably by REME or the Small Arms Staff Corps) that excessive cleaning had effected the shelf life off THAT rifle, hence one of the reasons to get the SA80 in service as soon as possible. ( The main one of course was to make sure Royal Ordance had full order books before they flogged it off.)

SA80 Heckler & Koch?

View attachment 445188
Some of the output from these civilian-clothes wearing military experts. Particularly like the one about payment for 'unsupervised PT' - keeping fit is what you are paid a salary for, Reducing unnecessary armoury checks - clearly the consultants are experts on the appropriate security JSP - and in light of the number of weapons that have gone missing from armouries I would only expect the checks to increase.
My Cynicism RCB tripped when I caught sight of this little sweetie:

Tripe.png

'Reducing bureacy' by reducing the word 'bureaucracy'?

I got as far as "So". Anyone beginning a social media post with "So" disconnects my interest in anything they have to say.

So True.

oh bugger...

Latest Threads