Empowerment - coming to a soldier near you.....

DTBA

War Hero
Question:- How will any of this help a soldier in the thick of battle defeat the queens enemy's, when chummy is throwing large lumps of hot metal at them at high speed, attempting to percolate their body with little bits of copper coated lead, dropping explosive stuff from flying machines, while they tend to their wounds, surrounded by flame, noise and body parts, and generally upset their day?
It won't, which is exactly the intention.

Of course this could be the work of people trying to do their best, to improve their peoples' lives...
It's nothing to do with 'improving lives', just another pointless change initiative that will change nothing.

It's fundamental flaw is the assumption that things need to be changed - where and what is the objective evidence that things are 'wrong'. And if they are so wrong why haven't those in unit command, higher formation command or Army Command not been brought to account for their fundamental failings over the years?

It strikes me as similar to the initiative rolled out by the Army Recovery Capability whereby Recovery experts were despatched to units to advise on the command and care of WIS - nothing changed and nothing was enforced. and this will be the same. Do you really believe that a CO will engage in a critical discussion with a SSgt or above 'consultant' over failings in his/her unit - not a chance, and rightly so.

Has all the correct current buzz words

Who is the civilian business consultancy firm they must be raking it in

Archie
I wrote it up as a joke, and they just threw buckets of sterling at me.

It's nothing to do with 'improving lives', just another pointless change initiative that will change nothing.

It's fundamental flaw is the assumption that things need to be changed - where and what is the objective evidence that things are 'wrong'. And if they are so wrong why haven't those in unit command, higher formation command or Army Command not been brought to account for their fundamental failings over the years?

It strikes me as similar to the initiative rolled out by the Army Recovery Capability whereby Recovery experts were despatched to units to advise on the command and care of WIS - nothing changed and nothing was enforced. and this will be the same. Do you really believe that a CO will engage in a critical discussion with a SSgt over failings in his/her unit - not a chance, and rightly so.
Beat me to it. No doubt it will have sounded much better when it was pitched at ECAB!

Going forward, I think this is another case of blue sky thinking, and they should sunset the initiative until they pre-plan how they can engage the relevant stakeholders and establish an effective synergy. They need to find the root causes of these problematic areas.

There are things wrong all over the Army, why do they do it? Because they always have.
When I joined up I seem to recall Jocks having to fly from Germany to Stansted (On a RAF flight) and get the train (with a rail warrant) up to porridge-wog land. A complete and utter waste of time and money (I think the train fare was over 100 quid and this was in the late 90s). Its did change after a few years, but its an example on the Army not changing because its all they have ever known.
I dont believe this latest initiative will be much better (going on previous experiences) but there should be something in place, that actually works where ideas are looked at and acted on.

It strikes me as similar to the initiative rolled out by the Army Recovery Capability whereby Recovery experts were despatched to units to advise on the command and care of WIS - nothing changed and nothing was enforced. and this will be the same. Do you really believe that a CO will engage in a critical discussion with a SSgt or above 'consultant' over failings in his/her unit - not a chance, and rightly so.
Given I've just sent a load of 180 feedback requests to my WOs and CPOs (SSgt equivalent), I disagree fundamentally.

All sounds a lot like Six Sigma which was the darling of industry for a few years with people gaining Black Belt Six Sigma or implementing lean Six Sigma blah blah blah. It has turned out to be, essentially, a confidence trick. Go figure.
As is most project management qualifications.

1579703963503.png

Some of the output from these civilian-clothes wearing military experts. Particularly like the one about payment for 'unsupervised PT' - keeping fit is what you are paid a salary for, Reducing unnecessary armoury checks - clearly the consultants are experts on the appropriate security JSP - and in light of the number of weapons that have gone missing from armouries I would only expect the checks to increase.

NemoIII

War Hero
There are things wrong all over the Army, why do they do it? Because they always have.
When I joined up I seem to recall Jocks having to fly from Germany to Stansted (On a RAF flight) and get the train (with a rail warrant) up to porridge-wog land. A complete and utter waste of time and money (I think the train fare was over 100 quid and this was in the late 90s). Its did change after a few years, but its an example on the Army not changing because its all they have ever known.
I dont believe this latest initiative will be much better (going on previous experiences) but there should be something in place, that actually works where ideas are looked at and acted on.
To be fair I think they've managed to sort out the constant weapon cleaning that was prevalent in the army. Little changes do go a bit to helping morale, along as the time saved cleaning weapons, isn't used to pointlessly fcuk the lads around in other ways.

Car passes for every camp, how is this even hard? GSMs wanting to feel like they are powerful, we already have a MOD90 why do serving soldiers need a car pass? Never mind a car pass for every barracks.

Going forward, I think this is another case of blue sky thinking, and they should sunset the initiative until they pre-plan how they can engage the relevant stakeholders and establish an effective synergy. They need to find the root causes of these problematic areas.

Bollocks... all wrong... start the first sentence with "So" and resubmit it... ;-)

Car passes for every camp, how is this even hard? GSMs wanting to feel like they are powerful, we already have a MOD90 why do serving soldiers need a car pass? Never mind a car pass for every barracks.
Because it's a fundamental security requirement to be able to identify all vehicles on a camp, and know to whom they belong - are the lessons of NI forgotten already?

Both tend to favour ranks other than the juniors and although all pointless bureaucracy should be scraped, its always good if the lads get something out of it. If it had been scrap monthly weapon cleaning, Toms would be lining up to recommend him for an MBE for services to morale.
The weapon cleaning regime should be aligned with that which is necessary to keep the weapon serviceable, yes. It can also be a useful tool, however, for ensuring that those who don't frequently handle their PW as part of their normal role retain some currency in handling/maintenance.

NemoIII

War Hero
Reducing unnecessary armoury checks - clearly the consultants are experts on the appropriate security JSP
If you actually look deeper into this, you'll see that units were setting UECD that didnt align with MOD policy.

One example was that the UECD stated that the armoury had to be checked every week even if it had been sealed for the last week. Yet the unit could go on leave for 4 weeks and it not be checked until it they arrived back.

Alot of weapons arent actually stolen out of armourys (stand fast cadet units).

That's because you haven't the confidence to command - you seek constant reassurance that those under your command think you are commanding well.
Is it friday night already?

NemoIII

War Hero
Because it's a fundamental security requirement to be able to identify all vehicles on a camp, and know to whom they belong - are the lessons of NI forgotten already?
Why does it require a car pass for every barracks though? My camp employs 3 Civil servants to sort car passes, £100k+ a year for one camp.

Multiply this by every camp you need to go to, what a total waste in money and time.

Latest Threads