Empowerment - coming to a soldier near you.....

Has anyone had the pleasure of meeting the Army's Empowerment indoctrination team yet? I'd be keen to get a feel of how it has altered anybody's lives, other than by taking them away from their essential duties, giving them more surveys to read and forms to fill in.

(I did a search on here (before the righteous ones all start hopping up and down) and this is as close as I could find: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/what-systemic-issues-would-you-change-in-the-mod-or-in-the-single-services.294110/ )

Meanwhile, here is a brief reminder of what is being unfolded as we speak:

At first glance it would appear to be most unmilitary.

He believes that by reducing some of the red tape and extra training that is currently in place for certain areas of the military and giving more time and freedom to section commanders it will in turn improve soldier’s physical and mental health.
Have they finally worked out that micro management down to Section level isn't really a good thing :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That article made my eyes bleed.

Great for buzzword bingo though

Has anyone had the pleasure of meeting the Army's Empowerment indoctrination team yet? I'd be keen to get a feel of how it has altered anybody's lives, other than by taking them away from their essential duties, giving them more surveys to read and forms to fill in.

(I did a search on here (before the righteous ones all start hopping up and down) and this is as close as I could find: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/what-systemic-issues-would-you-change-in-the-mod-or-in-the-single-services.294110/ )

This was covered a few months ago on FYB, the words Empower/Empowerment/Empowering were all over official Twitter links.
If people think they are listened to they dont complain so much... Will it be effective? There have been procedures/scheme/briefings/seminars/fire side chats over the years that have resulted in **** all changing. This just appears to be more digitally updated.

Not much there that will improve the lives of the lads, (Although some of the ideas/requests I dont understand because there is no detail in the diagram) the MMA request has been happening since at least the time I joined up in 1995, it would probably save the army time & money and make life a little easier for squaddies, yet they are still jawing about it.

That article made my eyes bleed.

Great for buzzword bingo though
I read the article, it was written in English but it didn't really explain what it is about, apart from vague statements such as:

"Attendees on the course are trained as consultants and taught how to diagnose problem areas in units and regiments and how to implement the changes needed. These can include cultural and efficiency changes that seek to minimise the time and resources spent on tasks with the key objective being to ensure the Army are ‘protecting their people and their time’."

...I was really none the wiser after reading it.

Interesting that the course takes three weeks - the last two courses I did while serving (CR2 Gunner and Loader) only took two weeks each.

This all sounds like Quality Assurance/ISO9000 management speak for the 2020s under another name...

Or maybe it's just me being old fashioned...

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

On the bright side they can honestly say that the Army is accurately reflecting society. Navel gazing is all the rage out here, along with all manner of self licking lollipops.

Presumably someone's getting their Colonelcy out of this festering pile of placentas?

Question:- How will any of this help a soldier in the thick of battle defeat the queens enemy's, when chummy is throwing large lumps of hot metal at them at high speed, attempting to percolate their body with little bits of copper coated lead, dropping explosive stuff from flying machines, while they tend to their wounds, surrounded by flame, noise and body parts, and generally upset their day?

Question:- How will any of this help a soldier in the thick of battle defeat the queens enemy's, when chummy is throwing large lumps of hot metal at them at high speed, attempting to percolate their body with little bits of copper coated lead, dropping explosive stuff from flying machines, while they tend to their wounds, surrounded by flame, noise and body parts, and generally upset their day?
they'll be able to raise a complaint about it?

All sounds a lot like Six Sigma which was the darling of industry for a few years with people gaining Black Belt Six Sigma or implementing lean Six Sigma blah blah blah. It has turned out to be, essentially, a confidence trick. Go figure.

All sounds a lot like Six Sigma which was the darling of industry for a few years with people gaining Black Belt Six Sigma or implementing lean Six Sigma blah blah blah. It has turned out to be, essentially, a confidence trick. Go figure.
Some job specs still specify it.

I avoid those

Well, they'll be enpowered, innit?

I read the article, it was written in English but it didn't really explain what it is about, apart from vague statements such as:

"Attendees on the course are trained as consultants and taught how to diagnose problem areas in units and regiments and how to implement the changes needed. These can include cultural and efficiency changes that seek to minimise the time and resources spent on tasks with the key objective being to ensure the Army are ‘protecting their people and their time’."

...I was really none the wiser after reading it.

I think that's the reason for such a word bolognaise.

It's so nebulous nobody is for sure what it all means, just nod in agreement and all is well.

The stench of 'Consultancy' is overpowering.

I do like a couple of the notes on that Powerpoint Slide, though: 'Reducing unnecessary Armoury checks' and 'Self Approval for foreign travel'. Somebody has an agenda, I'd say.

Of course this could be the work of people trying to do their best, to improve their peoples' lives...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
This was covered a few months ago on FYB, the words Empower/Empowerment/Empowering were all over official Twitter links.
If people think they are listened to they dont complain so much... Will it be effective? There have been procedures/scheme/briefings/seminars/fire side chats over the years that have resulted in **** all changing. This just appears to be more digitally updated.

Not much there that will improve the lives of the lads, (Although some of the ideas/requests I dont understand because there is no detail in the diagram) the MMA request has been happening since at least the time I joined up in 1995, it would probably save the army time & money and make life a little easier for squaddies, yet they are still jawing about it.
I got as far as "So". Anyone beginning a social media post with "So" disconnects my interest in anything they have to say.

Of course this could be the work of people trying to do their best, to improve their peoples' lives...
The Army has had people do this in various forms before, there wasnt a massive amount of improvement, but "they were listening".

The stench of 'Consultancy' is overpowering.

I do like a couple of the notes on that Powerpoint Slide, though: 'Reducing unnecessary Armoury checks' and 'Self Approval for foreign travel'. Somebody has an agenda, I'd say.
Both tend to favour ranks other than the juniors and although all pointless bureaucracy should be scraped, its always good if the lads get something out of it. If it had been scrap monthly weapon cleaning, Toms would be lining up to recommend him for an MBE for services to morale.

If soldiers ideas get acted upon that improves their morale, you are more likely to keep them in the Army. Which is generally of help to undermanned units should they be in the thick of battle.