Employment Opportunity - Vehicle/GSE Mechanic Iraq & Afghanistan.

Base Mechanic Iraq & Afghanistan

DHL Iraq & Afghanistan are looking for ex-REME Class 1 VM's to work as mechanics on our fleet of vehicles and ground support equipment at various bases throughout Iraq & Afghanistan.

The potential applicant must be highly experienced, self motivated and able to work to strict time frames in arduous conditions. Experience in Iraq & Afghanistan is an advantage but not essential as long as the applicant is aware of the living conditions and the environment.

The potential applicant must be:

• Experienced and qualified mechanic (Preferably ex-REME Class 1 VM).
• IT literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other asset management software.
• Self motivated, hard working and able to use own initiative to get the job done with limited facilities and supervision.
• A clean criminal record (For security badging).
• A full UK driving license, Forklift an advantage.

The potential applicant can expect:

• Approximately $50,000 per annum (tax free) plus flights, accommodation, meals e.c.t.
• A 12 week on, 3 week off work rotation.
• Full medical insurance and life insurance.

Interested parties should submit their CV’s in writing to brett.taylor@dhl.com

So thats £25,000 then (ish).
Hmmmmmmm......

when you say tax free, are you paying tax for them?
If not they may still be legally required to pay tax on that wage.
and for $50,000 12 on 3 off you can ram it. tax free or not

gents, forgive a wedge for hijacking your forum, it is money for old rope at the end of the day.

i have been doing similar as a sparky for nearly two years now & with a pension as well it works out just fine.

Yeah, I agree it may suit some and at the end of the day it's a job. perhaps I was too harsh.
Would be interesting to know how the tax free works. Just because you are payed gross and working overseas does not mean that you are tax free. The tax man will want his cut sometime, even the 90 day rule is on dodgy ground at the moment

i submitted my P85 after a full fiscal year away & have had my tax code changed to NT now, so no more tax for this call sign at present.

i have an accountant as it is the easiest way to do it & £200 is peanuts to pay for her to square it all away for me.

Bigjimdangley - Damn and there was me about to beg you to come work for us....

A_Knocker_Till_The_End - I never thought I'd say this (and it hurts to do so) to a wedge but thank you. Thank god someone is talking sense around here.

vandyke - It works because you do not earn money in the UK or from a UK company, also you are out of the country for over 6 months. You will still pay tax on any UK income you receive or on any property, savings e.c.t. but no income tax.

A_Knocker_Till_The_End - I never thought I'd say this (and it hurts to do so) to a wedge but thank you. Thank god someone is talking sense around here.

vandyke - It works because you do not earn money in the UK or from a UK company, also you are out of the country for over 6 months. You will still pay tax on any UK income you receive or on any property, savings e.c.t. but no income tax.
my first company was Septic but now working for the big REunion company, as i said i took advice from an accountant & they advised still admitting to earnings even if paid in US dollars BUT plenty of lads don't bother.

You obviously have it all squared away.
I often think that these job offers that offer "tax free" wages should state "possibly tax free"
If someone takes a job like this and only does 11 months they run the risk of a big tax bill.
Unless your employer is actually covering your UK tax liability, never assume that your wages are tax free

You are right on one thing brett, A knocker is talking sense.
However your own view on tax is wrong.
HMRC are very strict on non-dom tax. and just bcause many guys are getting away with it that does not mean it is correct.
If you are right then the Tax man owes me a lot of money as I spend at least 200 days a year outside the uk, work for a non uk company yet I am still liable for income tax on all my earnings.

You obviously have it all squared away.
I often think that these job offers that offer "tax free" wages should state "possibly tax free"
If someone takes a job like this and only does 11 months they run the risk of a big tax bill.
Unless your employer is actually covering your UK tax liability, never assume that your wages are tax free
You don't need to work away for 12 months just 183 days or more.

Like I said. No thanks.
Don't beg, it demeans both of us. I'm sure a less qualified engineer than myself will take up your offer though. Keep trying mate, just try not to sound so desperate.

that is exactly right AKTTE.
Brett any expat must comply with ALL of the rules of P85 in order to become non resident.
just being out of the uk for 183 days a year is not enough. they must be out at least 183 in 1 year and average no more than 91 days a year over 4 years.
it also must cover at least a full year.
they also must submit a p85 and declare themselves non resident

following a recent court case, they also must break all ties with the uk (still a grey area that one)

this site Tax Definitions gives a good run down

8.1 Leaving the UK permanently or indefinitely
If you are leaving the UK permanently or indefinitely, either to work or for
another reason, you must tell us by contacting your tax office. We will give you
form P85 to complete so that you can get any tax refund you are owed. We
will also tell you if you will need to complete a UK tax return after you have
left the country.
Leaving the UK ‘permanently’ means that you are leaving the country to live
abroad and will not return here to live. Leaving ‘indefinitely’ means that you
are leaving to live abroad for a long time (at least three years) but you think
that you might eventually return to live here, although you do not currently
have plans to do so.
The act of leaving the UK does not necessarily make you not resident and not
ordinarily resident. You must also make a definite break from the UK and any
remaining ties you have with the UK must be consistent with not being resident
here. If you say that you are no longer resident and ordinarily resident in the