Employment of force - RAF vs Army

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RifleButts, Apr 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An interesting point is raised in this article (RAF graduates first class of new groundbased 'pilots' ? The Register) which I am sure hasn't escaped the massed ARRSErs in the past.

The article raises the point that in the RAF, the use of force is solely officer sport, whereas the Army are very comfortable with JNCOs commanding vehicles, flying Apaches and delivering munitions through whatever system (man-portable to man-carrying). The RAF said:

Why this massive corporate difference?

2. The point blank refusal to accept any other way of doing business?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I had a good think about this yesterday, and what I can only assume is that these newly trained RPV 'pilots' (I'd love to see just how much the computer actually handles the staying-in-the-air part of all this) are going to be the front runners in the RAF's gradual move over to remotely piloted combat aircraft and fighters which will be taking place over the next few decades. Once the JSF is delivered you can pretty much bet that will be the last manned aircraft the RAF and navy receive. After this they will need a 'skilled' and experienced core of RPV operators (c'mon, they are not really pilots are they?) to train up the next batch.

4. What the RAF are trying to say is rank and file are thick currants as the complexities of flight are way beyond the grasp of NCO's.

Attached Files:

5. "criticality of decision making"

Lets be honest, seeing as they'll be flying from the ops room and what they see can be beamed all over the world, they're not going to be making any decisions anyway are they?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  6. It would do the RAF pilots good to have NCO's that work directly for them. Most RAF pilots have woeful leadership abilities as they are rarely called upon to use them. On the odd occasion it is required they do seem rather out of their depth.

• Like Like x 2
  7. It's the same for the 'real' pilots though - only officers fly.

8. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

I believe the the decision was brought in during the 50's for the RAF to have only officer pilots. This was to do with flying pay. It was not deemed right that a lowly NCO should be on higher pay than a ground trade officer.

9. 'cause NCOs are too busy playing flight sims and Call of Duty 'innit

10. Except for a period between 1939 and 1945 obviously.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I thought it was because CAS needs to be a pilot, and if you trim all the pilot posts down, then it makes the whole thing even less competitive.

If there are only a few hundred pilot officers, there is already a fairly decent chance of any old **** being CAS.

12. Pilots aren't 'particularly' clever and flying isn't particularly difficult to learn. I soloed after 4.5 hours. (But it took me 78 lessons to pass my driving test!) The only clever bits in flying are navigation, meteorology, and other systems management. Bit of a workload for one person but modern avionics make it easier.

To look at it another way, why doesn't the AAC insist all of its pilots are commissioned officers? Isn't the Apache is probably one of the hardest aircraft to fly and fight with today?

But then that would suggest what the RAF are suggesting: NCOs are too thick to command an aircraft

13. When the King visited 617 Sqn after the Dams Raid in May 1943 he only met the officers. NCO aircrew were kept well away, despite having taken exactly the same risks. RAF is both the newest and the snobbiest service

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wouldnt that actually make them better qualified to be RPV Pilots than some Rugger playing RAF Woopert?

15. I thought that only Army/Navy played rugby - wendyball for the Crabs, non?