EMPLOYMENT AND IMMIGRATION OF 3RD WORLD PROFESSIONALS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Resurgam, Jun 1, 2004.

?
  1. No way make them stay at home and look after their own people

31.8%
  2. Strictly by quota and from countries that have a surplus

31.8%
  3. Yes but only highly qualified ones

36.4%
  4. Bring them on in we need all we can get bugger the 3rd world let them die

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have had recent experience of the middle east, Far east and Africa and am very concerned that we are robbing 3rd world countries, that have medical systems and infra-structures that are falling apart, of their all important professionals.

All too often they come to the UK to plug the holes in our NHS or engineering firms whilst leaving their own people to rely on charity organisations from the West.

Surely this is a bad idea. Perhaps we should ban them from applying to UK and the EU and make them work in their own country.

Some will say that they are sending much needed money (Hard Currency) home but the majority of the professionals do not as they find that they have a lifestyle to maintain. BMW etc. The only ones that appear to send money are the nurses who can ill afford it.

Am I alone in this concern?

2. London's schools are run by people from Black Africa, most of whom are aghast at the low standards of disicipline and learning.

Trotsky

3. Trots - utter rubbish. These 'black Africans' are either 1st Generation (to be accurately termed as such) and are mostly extremely grateful to be in country with comparatively excellent internal structures and far less overt corruption - or they are descended from that generation - in which case they are 'British' IMHO.

Where are your figures to support such an amazing claim that 'ALL' London's schools are run by these people. If what you are suggesting were true, there would be an uproar from the teaching unions for a start - I haven't heard of any such thing.

Trots - have you actually ever been to 'Black Africa'? The term in itself is insulting, even to me. I suggest you go and visit, and grow up on the way.

Finally, I grew up in Brixton. Virtually the entire community was of West Indian origin. Most of the people I went to school with would be horrified by your post. I have been to Africa (it's actual name) many times.

Do you live with Qtrs, by any chance? :D

Find a left-wing student site to air your nonsense on - you radical you :D

4. I can't talk for teaching or the NHS but, as far as engineering is concerned, the people we need have particular skills. Many areas of skilled engineering are failing in the UK. As a business sector we have failed to promote engineering as a viable and attractive option for school leavers and we have also been let down by successive governments in terms of inadequate funding and a dilution of educational standards. Frankly many Engineering Bachelors degree holders are not worth the air they are displacing.

We do see immigrant workers working for us, predominently in the software engineering area. Some are looking to gain skills to take back, others are looking to settle in the UK and are looking for long term employment. I would think that a brain-drain from 3rd world countries would be more damaging in terms of teachers and healthe service workers as those coming to the UK would be likely to be at the top end of the skill range, therefore the potential damage to the parent countries economies would be more severe.

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The NHS is probably the greatest user of immigrant professionals. Many doctors come here to improve their skills and experience before returning to their own countries, but many also come because of the higher rates of pay, and because access to resources etc is significantly better than in their original country.

In a lot of countries nurses are not considered as important as they perceive themselves to be here; they can certainly earn more here as soon as they join the NHS admin black hole and become administrators, but most immigrant nurses are at fairly low grades; most lack degrees and end up staying low whilst the homegrown product attends ever more meaningless courses and have less and less contact with patients.

Rather than trying to either encourage immigrants to prop up our infrastructure or discourage them so that they maintain their own, should not our govt be looking to encourage put in place policies which enable us to hold our own, negating the need for PQ immigration? For example, attracting more people to study medicine and returning nursing to a practical and caring profession which will lead to greater recruitment and, importantly, retention.

Typically for New Labour, they have gone for the sticking plaster policy of PQ immigration rather than dealing with the cause of the problem.

6. My African experience was in West Africa where as soon as a nurse was trained she was lining up outside the BHC to get to UK. The country was crying out for doctors and those that left never returned so you had UK volunteers working in West Africa and the West Africans working in UK. Bizarre.
    As for educational standards the teachers may well be astounded by the lack of discipline but the way it is imposed in Africa generally , severe beatings and the like, is not permitted here THANK GOD!
    I have seen children cowering in corners of classes after receiving a good 'flogging'.
    As for engineers hardly any projects are run by africans of any hue.

7. My African experience was in West Africa where as soon as a nurse was trained she was lining up outside the BHC to get to UK. The country was crying out for doctors and those that left never returned so you had UK volunteers working in West Africa and the West Africans working in UK. Bizarre.
    As for educational standards the teachers may well be astounded by the lack of discipline but the way it is imposed in Africa generally , severe beatings and the like, is not permitted here THANK GOD!
    I have seen children cowering in corners of classes after receiving a good 'flogging'.
    As for engineers hardly any projects are run by africans of any hue.

8. Is it selective reporting, racist perception or reality that leaves the impression that most upheld malpractice/unauthorised gynaecological examination complaints involving individual doctors in the UK, are against those from the Third World/ethnic minorities? Is it a statistic that is monitored by the GMC or in criminal cases, Government?

Stand fast Harold Shipman.

9. Bit difficult, the b*ggers dead! :twisted:

10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

...or d) the medical Old Boy network in action....

11. I am not being racist, I am reporting a fact. I have just spent nearly a year in schools every day. London LEA's are importing most their teachers from Sierra Leone, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and South Africa (places on the African continent that are black rather than Arab) The schools could not run without them, thats a fact as well.

I don't see why saying this is racist at all. Justify your comment or apologise.

Trotsky

12. not again, my computer must be bust.

Trotsky

13. It's pure economics. Anyone who has the intelligence, the education and the oppertunity is going to go where they can earn some money and improve their lives. The oppertunity to have their families join them is reasonable which improves their lives too. It doesn't take much to make a big difference if you have basically nothing. We have a shortage and so do they, but they are going to take the job with the money. Any ideas on anything different are not realistic.

14. Trots - if you feel I was calling you a racist, then I apologise unreservedly. This was not my intent - regulars on here know I am not into flaming. :D

But you were being insulting. 'Black Africa'?? Really? :D