Employers investigating

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by tank6275, Feb 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can employers investigate an employee without their knowing, or are they legally obliged to tell the employee that they are being investigated an what for?
  2. Yes they can investigate.
  3. Yes an employer can investigate an employee without informing them that they are doing so.
  4. without the employee knowing?
  5. that answers that one, thanks
  6. I wonder what he's done.
  7. Yes, without the employee knowing. At some stage they will have to tell the employee if they intend to interview them or interview their friends/colleagues but there is nothing in law that states that any employer is required to inform an employee prior to investigating breaches of workplace conduct.

Why, what have you been up to?? :police:
  8. not myself of course "a friend" obviously
  9. Hmm, a likely story m'lud :police:
  10. dont think "he" would appreciate going into further detail
  11. Employers do have the right to investigate about the employee's details or to even crosscheck any of the details that is mentioned by the employee. Though the employer would not be going deep into the details but would certainly be motivated to go if found some irrelevant information or some doubt about the accuracy of the details provided.
  12. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

They can investigate but they are entering a very dodgy area if they start following someone I believe.
  13. I believe the situation in question involves the use of facebook and comments made on that page that may have upset someone else
  14. The use of Facebook (and similar) to spread unwelcome comments can be investigated by an employer.

Were the comments made when the creator was meant to be working ? Do the comments amount, potentially or actually, to something defamatory ?

If the comments were made during work hours and are defamtory then the employer may be held liable for the conduct of their employee !
  15. i believe the comments were out of work hours but were reference an incident that happened previous.
    And the fact that my friend wasnt bothered about recieveing a written warning.

And thats a completely different can of worms, but my friend also recieved an immediate written warning, skipping the 2 verbals that are supposed to come first