Employer Support American style

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Aug 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

http://www.315aw.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123152782

The tour included a flight on a Charleston C-17 Globemaster III to 914th Airlift Wing at Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, NY, where they toured a C-10, joint engine shop, learned about night vision goggles and even had the opportunity to fire simulated M-16 rifles.

Beats the stale sandwiches and curry with soggy poppadoms we offer our employers.

msr

2. That's genius. It's kind of hard to say refuse support to someone when they're asking you face-to-face. Especially when they've just laid on a weekend's entertainment like that for you.

I bet the results are immense.

3. Isn't Ex EXECUTIVE STRETCH the same thing really?

TZA

4. Well it's the same basic concept, however because it's British...........nuff said!

5. msr

msr LE

It wouldn't be even if it hadn't been cancelled from Sept onwards....

6. I was manning a paintball range at the executive stretch back in June, and the lads/lasses doing it didn't seem to enjoy the whole thing much, save a handfull. This American thing looks like it actually generated some interest and enthiusiasm, in sharp contrast.

7. I was in a lecture from one the SABRE guys last night and he was telling us about how they do loads of stuff like this. Such as trips to the Edinburgh Tatoo, even trips to Iraq & Afghanistan.

8. msr

msr LE

Did you ask him how many employers employ TA personnel and how many have actually been invited to a SaBRE event?

9. The biggest problem is,is that I don't think I can convince my Employer that sitting 3 hours long in the back of a 4 tonner is "fun' !

10. My boss has certainly been entertained. By my boss, I mean the company Chief Exec (city bigwig), by entertained I mean taken to a SABRE slap up dinner invitational.

Size of my company (UK based) = 8,000 +

Number of Reservist = less than 10

Obviously, it had NOTHING AT ALL to do with who my boss is, honest guv'nor.

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I was an exchange to the USARNG last year. I went to watch some Engineers doing things on Pontoons and boats. It had been advertised on the TV and radio and Joe Public was invited to come along and watch. They were also given rides on the boats etc.

When I expressed some surprize at this they pointed out that the public are the tax payer who pay for it and it is felt to be important to show them what they are getting for their money.

12. I always believed that Executive stretch was dog toffee. I always got the group made up the lowest office bod's who were spammed to give up there weekend. The range of skills shown to the employers would not normal transfer over to there companys needs. An example of this was when EOD showed them how to blow up mines with PE4. Good skills if your company is in mine clearance but not if you do advertising.

13. I helped out on an Ex Exec Stretch a few years ago, I can't begin to describe how pissed off the 'Execs' were with it all, being fcuked about on a training area and bivvying out in the woods isn't my idea of encouraging support.
    They were then put out on a march/nav ex and I went and picked them up. The moaning out of them was unreal and when they were told they were only to get rat packs for tea some of them nearly kicked off.
    So I ,sneakily, drove them round to the nearest chippy to keep the spirits up...... :wink:

As usual the Yanks really do know how to put a 'show' on , no wonder the American public wholeheartedly support the US Forces.....

14. Exec Stretch was not supposed to be a Thank-you to employers. It was supposed to be developing leadership skills in junior execs. The way it developed over 20+ years often did not quite fit the bill. One major mistake was the "get the whole train-set out" approach - every unit, big effort, one "stand" each, few actually doing anything to develop leadership or teamwork. Input huge, Impact minimal.

Another was in selling it to employers. F8ck knows what Sabre/RFCA were up to - One year the "Executives" I got to lead around were all check-out staff from Safeway, average age 45, minimum dress size 18. Great laugh but what it achieved, god only knows.

I remember ( old fart...) that the first Exec Stretches were run by the combined resources of..... 1 TA Inf Coy.

15. msr

msr LE

Oi, less of the 'old fart', I remember that :)

msr