Employer Policy on Serving TA Soldiers

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by LeeOfHam, Feb 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of all, hello to everyone!

I am currently going through the motions of joining the TA here in Poole, Dorset. RSD is on 15th of March!!!

I have just received an email from my employers HR department on the company's policy for serving TA soldiers. It reads.....

"3.5.22 - Military and Voluntary Service
    If you are a serving member of the Auxiliary or Volunteer Armed Forces or Emergency Services including the Special Constabulary, and have satisfactorily completed more than six months service with the Company, you may apply for special leave to attend Service training courses.

Requests for special leave must be made to your Manager in writing, at least one (1) month in advance.

Paid leave of up to five (5) days may be applied for; however leave to attend is not a right and may be withheld or withdrawn due to the demands of the operation and/or business needs. Additional leave must be covered by your annual leave entitlement.

Payment for special leave granted will only be made on receipt of official confirmation of attendance for training."

Can someone please elabirate on employers rights and policies, because i thought that any leave required should not interfer in my annual holiday!?

Thanks in advance

2. The employer has no obligation to give you any leave at all for TA etc. Accept the 5 paid days and be grateful it is more than most get.

3. Sounds like you get 5 extra days off once you've completed six months, I use my holidays entitlement for TA

4. Not necessarily the case and really does depend on the good will of your employers. Yours seems to be about the standard for most privates sector employers.

5. Yea second that take all you can and keep you employer sweet you dont get many that support the TA that much

6. Cheers guys

I've seen been reading the SaBRE website to try and get more info, both have been a big help!

7. Out of interest who do you work for?

8. There are no rights to additional leave. It is at the discretion of the employer. I would resist the temptation to get SaBRE involved - it will only muddy the water further.

Welcome to the one Army concept.

9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sounds very much like the deal that is (or was) pretty standard across the Civil and Public Service. Most public sector employers will offer a week's paid leave - the second wekk comes out of your annual leave entitlement.

10. I work for City Link!!

I'm not gonna get SaBRE involved, i just wanted to know where i stood. I'm happy with the companies policy but i'm sure the missus won't be!!! LOL

11. Be glad that you have an additional five days of paid leave for TA. I use my holiday allowance to cover TA courses, and my supervisor grumbles if I use all of that!

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I have just established the new reserve forces policy at my new job, and even provided a link to the Sabre website.

They obviously only skim read it, and took the draft employment plan as guidance, so happy days! Sometimes it works out ok.

13. msr

msr LE

Being self-employed now means that being in the TA costs me money :(

msr

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that your employers can be forced into giving you additional paid leave. 5 days is a great entitlemt so be grateful, most companies reserve the right to refuse normal holidays unless booked in accordance with strict guidelines. Most TA lads I knew used normal holidays or begged unpaid leave!

15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah me too, I'm kissing goodbye to a hundred squids to play soldier this weekend.

As for paid holiday - what's that?