EMPIRE OF THE SUN

EMPIRE OF THE SUN

Anyone watching it? Seen it loads of times. One of the great films IMO.

I am now. Young Master Bale did a very good job in American Psycho and Batman begins!

I dunno. It doesn't really capture the brutality of the Japanese occupation of China IMO. Also, if I remember correctly they had American troops liberating them. They would have been Chinese troops, and MAYBE a US advisor. And that's a huge maybe.

Yeah, I really like this film. I quite like many of Bale films.

Parts of it filmed at the far end of the runway at Carver Barracks. A bloke from the production crew came into the guardroom when I was 2i/c Guard one day and put a suitcase with a hand set on the desk ...first time I ever saw a mobile phone.

BlackHand said:
Parts of it filmed at the far end of the runway at Carver Barracks. A bloke from the production crew came into the guardroom when I was 2i/c Guard one day and put a suitcase with a hand set on the desk ...first time I ever saw a mobile phone.
Fooking heck............lol :wink:

I have to say, the haunting Welsh lullaby “Suo Gan” that features prominently during the film, always gets to me.

amazing__lobster said:
fcking hell do I feel better, I'm not the only one who got emotional over that film then.
Every time I watch it AL. Great acting.

The_Dragoon said:
hate to be a critic here but, think they were all rather healthy looking for Jap POW's
You can only go so far for in the pursuit of reality. I don't think the actors agents or studio insurance companies would go for the required "Japanese P.O.W Camp" type training regimen!

True, but they could have made it look a teenie weenie bit realsitic. They all looked jolly, well fed, well clothed and thoroughly on top of things........load of bollox really.......bit like all those shite movies about how America won the war eh ?, and found the Enigma machine, oh yeah, and cracked it, its all Hollywood bollox to satisfy American guilt at just being generally ARRSE.

The_Dragoon said:
True, but they could have made it look a teenie weenie bit realsitic. They all looked jolly, well fed, well clothed and thoroughly on top of things........load of bollox really.......bit like all those shite movies about how America won the war eh ?, and found the Enigma machine, oh yeah, and cracked it, its all Hollywood bollox to satisfy American guilt at just being generally ARRSE.
I agree sort of (however American forces were decisive in winning the war, regardless of hollywood bollocks) I already stated my concerns
Chief_Joseph said:
I dunno. It doesn't really capture the brutality of the Japanese occupation of China IMO. Also, if I remember correctly they had American troops liberating them. They would have been Chinese troops, and MAYBE a US advisor. And that's a huge maybe.
I personally would like to see a movie about the German trained chinese infantry groups, or about the Chinese troops in Burma that fought under Stilwell and Slim.

Personally, I'd like to see a film about the British and Indian troops that fought in Burma. But because it was a long way away and most people know little or nothing about it, I doubt it'll ever happen.

brewmeister said:
Personally, I'd like to see a film about the British and Indian troops that fought in Burma. But because it was a long way away and most people know little or nothing about it, I doubt it'll ever happen.
That's another one I'd love to see. Maybe they could do one about Indian troops in Italy. Or a film about the Ghurkas. All things I would love to see, but probably won't. We may however see videogames based on them, since history buffs have more leverage in that market. The new Call of Duty game is going to have a Canadian campaign in it.

Chief_Joseph said:
Maybe they could do one about Indian troops in Italy.
The closest anyone's got to that is probably The English Patient - one of the main characters is an Indian Engineer Officer.

WhiteHorse said:
The bit with the P51, "Cadillac of the skies" and the pilot waving does it for me.
Agreed.

IMHO, it's one of the most memorable images of any film.

(pity about the white SUV in the background though)

The bit where he stands singing when the kamikaze pilots are being saluted before there first (and possibly last) mission gets me!!