Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Emmigration

I am currently on a VEng(Short) Contract in the army and drawing up to my 4th Year of service. I understand that I can submit my request to sign out and have to wait at least 12 months before being discharged.

My problem is this, my fiancee is American and wishes to return to the States as soon as I can sign out. However I know that if I do I will owe at least 7-8 years of service to the army (12 year contract) and that this will be in the role of some sort of reservist ie have to report at least once a year to check equipment with the possibility of getting called up for service.

Is there a way I can get out of this? I don't think that it would be very well received if I was to suddenly get called into service once I settle down in another country.

Right now I'm just looking to see what might happen before I start the process. Any advice will be happily received.

I had a fair few years reservist duty on the reserve list when I left, never bothered to turn up. No great shakes. No one ever bothered to chase me.

You can get out of the army within 4 weeks if the CO agrees to it. Never heard of this reporting annually as a reserve bollocks. I went on the reserve list when I got out for a year but it's a load of shite. Once you're out your're out. Emigrate and enjoy your life.

You can get out of the army within 4 weeks if the CO agrees to it. Never heard of this reporting annually as a reserve bollocks. I went on the reserve list when I got out for a year but it's a load of shite. Once you're out your're out. Emigrate and enjoy your life.

Aye right now I'm just looking at what I can do.

It takes about 7 months from application to actual visa stamped in your passport so I'm just planning on staying in as long as possible with a job and getting paid up until I have to board the plane.

I only turned up for the Reserve Bounty and to go on the lash with it after. :)
Doubtful that the MoD is going to prioritise tracking you down and even if they do it'll be RMP so you're well safe.

Can you buy back your kit? Would be nice to bring back a lot of my uniform and kit to the USA especially if I end up joining the yanky green weenies.

Dont hand it in, you may get some money taken from your wages but it's the cheapest option. (you are very honest, are you in the chaplains corps?)

Back in the mists of time one of our lads at 3 AFA signed off and decided that he was going to travel the world for an unspecified period of time. He went through the CoC and was basically written off the reserve list. This was probably because there was no chance of ever finding him.