Emigrating to Canada

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by WildernessPete, Apr 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody thinking about it?

They are desperate for all trades, especially class 1 truck drivers, heavy mech, elec mech fitters, sparkies, welders, logistics, and lumberjacks.

Yup I am not kidding national shortage of guys to chop down trees, wearing of suspenders and bras optional but not high heels on the job.

Guaranteed jobs and work permits for ex squaddies, especially if you have a family, perfect for ex tank regiment people from Germany.
  2. Any paramedic jobs going?
  3. Not sure as it is not on my list, but can find out for you.

Can you cut down trees in the mean time, I would love to have a paramedic on the pay roll.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

If you have any info on the how to I would really appreciate it, got a mate who's Ex and is an HGV1 driver and struggling like fcuk to get enough hours from the various agencies he's with.
  5. [​IMG]

6. Got my brother living out there and he's desperate to get me over, so I'm off over in July for 2 weeks for a holiday / recce. He told me ages ago they were crying out for labour.
  7. Paramedic jobs are hard to come by with huge amount of competition for each place, and currently more paramedics are being produced than job openings.

On top of which there is the conversion of qualifications to meet Canadian specs, so bottom line does not look good.
  8. Okey dokey
  9. Anyone know if companies need drivers with recently renewed HAZMAT licences?

I did hear a person would need a certain amount of money in the bank before even being considered for entry, or is it a different story if they have whats needed for the job?
  10. Same here, this sounds v. interesting.
  11. Have a gander at this mate.

In a nutshell. The Alberta nominee program is fast track to permanent residency. I'm not sure if you need an employer lined up 1st or, if you've got one of the skills they need (truckers are in there), you just apply.

I did it off the back if plod here recruiting and didn't need any money behind me. Though I did have a job lined up.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I don't know what you are smoking we just lost 53,000 jobs in Canada.

Don't fall for all the rubbish people tell you. Be careful and if you can get hired before you arrive or it could be a cold long winter for some of you.

My son is a welder here and in some places the jobs are few and far between. You will also need to make sure you qualifications are transferable or they are worth nothing you start at zero.
  13. be warned , i moved over in 94 , wife was Canadian so made it easier , had a trade as an Operating Theatre Technichian , went over and worked in a hospital in London Ontario as my resettlement course , was offered a job on my return . Returned after three months , wife already there bought a house , went up to hospital , the head of theatres that had offered me the job had just dropped dead of a brain bleed , got sent to hosp hr , they said , no job , dont recognise your City & Guilds have to be recognised by Ontario college of nurses , they wouldn't touch me as i was not a nurse. Spent the next 15 yrs doing unskilled jobs
    i would say , go over ther first , make contacts , if offered anything , get it in writing , Canada is a fantastic country , if you earn a decent wage , if you on a minimium wage then it is not much different from here.
  14. I live in Canada, but I was born here so I can't offer you direct experience with regards to the actual immigration process. However, I can offer the following advice (in no particular order):

1) Canada is a large country (larger than all of Europe put together), and the conditions vary considerably from province to province. Right now the places which are booming the most are Alberta, Saskatchewan, and parts of British Columbia. This is because of the oil and gas industry, particularly the tar sands. Do your research on the particular province you are interested in.

2) The process has changed considerably over the years, so someone's experience from 20 years ago may not be directly relevant to today. On the other hand, they may still have some very valid points so don't dismiss what they say out of hand. The key thing is to check everything carefully before committing.

3) If you can, try to get in touch with people originally from the UK (if that's where you're from) who have already immigrated. They should have invaluable advice on what to do, who to contact, and where to find a job. Again, if they have been here a while then some of their information may be out of date, so check everything. However, unlike people who were born here (like me) they've got some direct experience with the process.

4) If you have a skill or trade, enquire as whether your qualifications are transferable as is. This is something that catches a lot of people unexpectedly. If your qualifications aren't directly recognized, don't just give up. Find out if it's just a matter of taking a test or a short course. This by the way is an area that the government of Canada has been working on quite hard, so things may have changed since the last time someone asked about it. Canada wants immigrants, and improving the transferability of qualifications is an area the government has identified as being a high priority. The intention is not to cause problems for genuinely qualified people. It's to keep out people who bought their degree in brain surgery off a street corner in Calcutta. However, the process for sorting out the wheat from the chaff isn't perfect.

5) Responsibility for immigration is split between the federal and provincial governments. This means that each province may have a slightly different program in place. The reason for this is that different provinces have different priorities depending on the local conditions. There are "provincial nominee" programs in place which can help fast track your application if you are in a trade or skill identified as being in high demand.

6) This point is very important, so pay attention to what I am about to say here. There are dodgy "immigration consultants" who will charge high fees for doing basically nothing. They will claim you need them to to push your paperwork through. Some (although not all) of them are basically con artists. The government and police have been cracking down on them as what many of them are doing is illegal (they're basically fleecing people). I'm not saying that all such consultants are crooks, or that none of them can give you good advice. I am saying though to not simply google "Canadian immigration consultant" and hand over a wad of cash to the first one you find. If you decide to use a consultant, try to get a recommendation from someone. I believe though that most people just do their own paperwork.

7) If you want to work in Canada, there are different categories. There is the being a traditional immigrant route, and there is also being a "temporary worker" in certain specific trades or skills. The "temporary worker" may get you into the country quicker, but it doesn't give you any permanent rights of residence and you can be sent home if you lose your job. "Temporary worker" is a relatively new thing intended to address immediate temporary shortages in particular skills. "Landed immigrant" status though is the path that leads to permanent residence and (if you want it) citizenship. You can get citizenship in Canada much more quickly than in many other countries. If you don't want citizenship for some reason (I've known some Europeans where that would have caused problems in inheriting property back home) you can remain an "immigrant", but you can't vote in elections and if you get convicted of a serious crime you can (in some circumstances) be deported.

8) Immigrants come in under different categories. There are different quotas and priorities for different categories, such as skilled worker, family reunification, entrepreneur, etc. Getting your application in the right category can make a difference, although I'm afraid I don't know about the details of this. Categories are added or changed occasionally, and I believe there were some recent changes, so it pays to do the research.

9) Ask about temporary health insurance for when you first arrive. Canada has its own equivalent to the NHS (although it's run by the individual provinces rather than the federal government), but it doesn't cover you until you have been here for a while (I think it's 6 months). The reason for this is to keep out "health tourists" who just come here because they've got a serious problem and want free health care (and then turn around and leave once they get fixed up). As an aside, American politician Sarah Palin used to nip over the border for free health care in Canada until they cracked down on this sort of thing.

10) If you have children, ask about what is involved in transferring their educational qualifications. There shouldn't be a problem here, but the schools may demand to see some appropriate paperwork from their current schools in Britain (you say your 14 year old daughter has a Phd in nuclear physics - really?).

11) If you are offered a job in Fort McMurray Alberta, CHECK ON THE ACCOMMODATION SITUATION BEFORE YOU SHOW UP. There is (or was) a very serious housing shortage there, or at least there was not too long ago. They simply couldn't build houses (or anything else) fast enough to keep up with the growth. Edmonton or Calgary are not a problem in this respect, it's strictly a local issue. Someone in Alberta (I don't currently live there) could give a better clue of what is going on there now and how people deal with it.

12) There was a very large backlog in the immigration queue a while ago. A couple of years ago the government (the current one) simply binned all the outstanding applications and told everyone who was still interested to re-apply (this was intended to clear out the files on people who had changed their minds). Again, this may have affected different applicants in different ways because there are actually several parallel queues for different categories. The government came in for a lot of criticism for how they handled it, but that is now water under the bridge. This won't affect you now, but it will explain what happened if you happen to hear someone talking about it.

13) If you immigrate to Canada, stay for a short while, and then move abroad for while (e.g. perhaps you had a lucrative temporary contract in the middle east) and then come back again, this can affect how your time in residence is calculated for qualifying for citizenship. That is, if you don't live here for at least part of the year, then you can't expect to get residence credit for the time you lived abroad. If you are coming here to live and work but go back to the UK for regular vacations there won't be any problem. This is mainly a problem for dodgy characters from places like Hong Kong who don't intend to actually live here but just want to have a spare passport handy in case things get dicey where they are now.

14) Immigration is strongly supported by all political parties in Canada, as a growing economy and a growing population is viewed as a good thing by almost everyone (except for a few nutters). The reason that I'm mentioning this is so that people who are thinking about coming over understand that this policy won't change as a result of an election. The only real debate is in the details of how to implement the policies in a way that bring the most benefit to the country (e.g. when the Conservatives were in opposition, they were lambasting the Liberals for not hitting the immigration targets).

I hope this is of some help to someone. I hope I haven't made any mistakes here, and if I have then perhaps someone would correct me.