Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

emigrate or stay ?

whould you stay in the Uk or emigrate?

• stay in UK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA

• Canada

• Australia

• New Zealand

• Germany

• scandinavia

• Spain

• Far East ( Thailand, indonesia etc)

• Europe ( France, Belgium, italy etc)

• Total voters
This thread has been going for some time - so now for my tuppenceworth(.5new pence).

I was a pad brat, did some green time myself so moved about a lot.

We can moan and whinge about this country (and I mean UK in its entirety) and it is not really all that bad. Before you go on about chavs, immigrants, johnny foreigner et al, take a look at what is really good. Look at your neighbours, the guy beside you on the bus/train, your work colleagues and if you can say we are really the worst in the world, then off you go. IMHO, things are not that bad (but could be better). It is not enough to tempt me to leave for good.

The question, had it been put over 50 years ago, would have been completely different because if you decided to emigrate, that was it. Nowadays you can just jump on a plane and go home (if you can afford it).

My opinion - accept differing views - doubt I will change mine though.

I have lived in the United States for over eight years. This was not so much a vote "against" the UK, as a vote "for" my wife, who is from the USA. These though are my observations on emmigration and emmigrants. For what they are worth.

It has been pointed out about conforming with the locals, agree 100% with that comment. No one likes to have Immigrants tell them how to run their country.
In moving to a foreign country, you must in my opinion ask yourself the following question BEFORE going. "what do I have to offer them, that will make them employ ME." (The teaching degree comment is someone who has asked that question.)
A visit of a few months does not mean you "know" what it is like to live in the country. I had been in the USA for several months at a time, before I emmigrated. Permanent residence is a whole new ball game.
If you have children, especially very young ones, if you do not want to remain in the chosen country will they be happy to move to a foriegn country (to them the Uk will NOT be home Obviously!)
OY imakes a very good series of points about the UK.
IF you can get the "correct' answers to ALL of the above then I say "come on in, the water is fine". If not you may be making a mistake.

If I win the lottery I'm definately moving to America, as it stands, when I retire I'm moving to Spain. Who in this world would actually want to retire in this cold, depressing nanny-state run by completely inadequate inbecils.

Don't care if I spell anything wrong 'cos I'm angry!

I'm glad there are people here who agree this country is a shit hole. Proves a point though that there are so many wanting to leave 'cos of Blair. The only Great thing about Great Britain these days is the Armed Forces. Brits love a fight and we will always win!

IndianaDel has a point. Many of my friends have been to Australia for a few weeks at a time and loved it, and want to emigrate. I lived and worked there (with my civvie career) for over 3 years and would never live there permanently.

It made me realise what I love about Britiain. So saying, it's nice that I can now go to Oz to visit friends and avoid the weather here!

IndianaDel said:
"What do I have to offer them, that will make them employ ME?"

And that's the problem. Fcuk all, apart from being a decent, law-abiding chap, who's toed the line all his life, payed his way and done his bit. Those attributes seem to mean nothing in the UK anymore. But there's absolutely no way I'd be accepted in Canada, the US, Australia or NZ. The only way I'd get there is to top myself, and hope I'd get reincarnated as a Kiwi. But knowing my luck I'd get a posting to Grozny or Rwanda.

I'd love to ditch this place, but there's a part of me that shys away from running away from problems. I'd rather fix them. This is why there's so many bloody asylum seekers. But like them, it's impossible to fix the situation they find themselves in, so the only alternative is to do one. Those that would dearly love to sort out the UK's problems have no chance. It'll be a thought crime before long. So what's the alternative?

I don't have any relatives in any of the former Dominions that I could blag a reference off either, so here I'll fcuking stay, stood proudly (ish) on deck, like the heroes of the Birkenhead, until I'm washed under the ocean of Burberry and quarter pounder cartons. 'Rule Bri.. fcuking.. tannia!'.

Depressed of Bildeston

I'm off to Oz Army next year hopefully (bloody well hope so I've signed off!).
Not to fussed about living in UK, been abroad for most of my life, walking down Perth 'High Street' with the missus last year and it felt like 'Home' so we're off to Darwin :) 8O

Have already left the UK shores, and now living in NZ, Best move i have made, Ok i might not be earning as much as i would in the UK on the exchange rate, But the lifestyle more than makes up for it.