• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Kit Reviews Emhar 1:35 British WW1 Artillery with 18 pdr gun.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Emhar-WW1-BRITISH-ARTILLERY-135-Scale-kit-3502-380845275268.jpg

Emhar are more famous for reasonable quality 1:72 scale WW1 models. This is one of a range of 1:35 scale kits brought out to commemorate the end of that conflict.

Emhar are a trading company of Bachmann Europe PLC, most of their products are made in China and it shows. The plastic of the kit appears too flexible and of poor quality. This model is very basic, but would suit someone at entry level to the hobby.

The gun kit is 12 pieces of light grey plastic, plenty of mould lines but no flash. The kit comes in a snap together format, rather like the snap-tite 1:32 scale trucks. This is handy as one doesn't need clamps when glueing up. The parts all fit together well and make up into a nice model.

3568_1_EMH3502_1.jpg

The three figures included in the kit are reminiscent of the toy soldiers of the 1970's and depict an officer with binoculars, pointing; a loader carrying a heavy shell and a kneeling figure holding his hands over his ears. Moulded in a sort of khaki It is necessary to wash all kit parts in mild detergent prior to painting. I gave all of the figures a primer coat of Humbrol primer, thinned out and applied with a brush.

Kit instructions are a series of pictograms on the back of the box, are easy to follow and well-detailed. There are no decals with this kit.

th (8).jpeg

Conclusion: A nice little model, easily made in a couple of hours and handy for the youngster just starting in the hobby. My gripes are; moulded drag ropes on the gun shield. These would have been better as an additional kit part. The shield is moulded as one piece and would benefit from being the three-piece hinged item that it originally was.

This would make a pretty good diorama on it's own, with just a base and some basic scenery. I would lose the bases on the figures though, they're rubbish..

Rating: Fair 2.5 out of 5

Are they hard or soft plastic figures ??

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Are they hard or soft plastic figures ??
Somewhere between the two. They aren't brittle, but are tough little buggers to cut with a scalpel. They stand up well to painting though. Watch this space for further details.

Pity they didn't include a full gun crew, e.g. the No1 on the hand spike (which is in the folded, travelling position in the kit), or the No4 as loader.

The gun crew wouldn't be wearing full infantry fighting order webbing either, unless thats supposed to be some random Tommy helping hump the ammunition!

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Pity they didn't include a full gun crew, e.g. the No1 on the hand spike (which is in the folded, travelling position in the kit), or the No4 as loader.

The gun crew wouldn't be wearing full infantry fighting order webbing either, unless thats supposed to be some random Tommy helping hump the ammunition!
Most pictures I've seen of WW1 Artillery show the men in shirts sleeves! Trying to find 1:35 scale models of that ilk is nigh on impossible. I am also interested to know why the loader (guy with the shell) should have a pistol on his belt? I know the RA do a reasonable job with big, bangy things, but giving them something as delicate as the mess Webley does seem a tad irresponsible.

Latest Threads